Public School: ProChoice Poster Display

A fellow parishioner told me about an incident in our public high school last night that has me quite upset. The social studies/government teacher has pro-choice posters displayed in her classroom. When the parent went to talk to the principal about the offensiveness of these posters, he advised her to talk directly to the teacher. She took her son with her for the meeting with the teacher. The teacher dismissed the mother and told her she wasn’t interested in what she had to say but what her son had to say.

I am so angry about this situation! The parents are so upset and don’t know where to turn to next. They are asking for input on how to deal with this.

I have a son who will be entering this school next year. The closest Catholic high school is too far away to drive everyday.

Help please!!!

This is indeed a frustrating situation.

The steps to take are:
teacher
principal
superintendent
school board
courts

Since you have not taken these steps yourself, you should do so immediatly. You and I know that you will get the same results with the teacher but you must do it. Then go up the chain. Think about homeschooling. If not for the whole school year, maybe just for her class.

I had to fight against the sex education class. Many parents objected but I was the only one who pulled my children from the class. Sometimes, parents will be afraid of how it will socially impact there children rather than stand up for what is right.

Good Luck

I believe that teacher violated Federal Law by telling the parent get out. Here is a link to why:Opting Out Of Objectionable Classes

Specifically:

While parents may have little direct say about what ends up in public school curricula, federal law has given parents clear rights to exempt their children from experimental or values-related classes that depart from academics. The Hatch Amendment (passed in 1984) was designed to reinforce parental control of their children’s education. Based on the Hatch Amendment, parents may have their child excluded from experimental programs.

The Hatch Amendment, also known as the Pupil Rights Amendment, says parents have the right to inspect all instructional material, including that used in experimental or testing programs. Unless parental consent is given, no student shall be required to submit to any kind of test designed to reveal information concerning political affiliations, potentially embarrassing psychological problems, sexual behavior and attitudes, illegal and anti-social behavior, critical appraisals of family relationships, legally privileged relationships (such as those with a minister or doctor), and income.

The parent had the right under Federal Law to ask questions and inspect the course material. The teacher must be reported for this violation of Federal Law.

PF

whats the problem here. abortion is one of many means of birth control taught in our government schools. i am confused as to why you have a problem?

[quote=liberal friend]whats the problem here. abortion is one of many means of birth control taught in our government schools. i am confused as to why you have a problem?
[/quote]

Whether it’s sanctioned by the government or not, abortion isn’t birth control, it’s murder. Since you profess no religion other than “liberalism”, you statement is understandable.

[quote=liberal friend]whats the problem here. abortion is one of many means of birth control taught in our government schools. i am confused as to why you have a problem?
[/quote]

Uh, because abortion is murder, not birth control. You’re not ‘controlling’ or ‘preventing’ (it’s already happened) anything at that point - you’re killing.

If they had pro life posters in that classroom, the media and the ACLU would be all over it.

Also, the fact that it is there in the classroom infringes on the Religious rights of some students:nope: Although my son pushes the buck himself they teach abortion and birth control in middle school and he wears pro-life buttons and I DARE them to say a word to him.One teacher asked him to take it off and he didn’t she went no further and it is a good thing too.:wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.