Public school teacher anti Catholic?

My thirteen year old daughter stated that her history teacher or book? stated that centuries ago priests asked Catholics to pay for salvation:o I have a hard enough time encouraging my daughter to be involved in Catholicism, I had a hard time explaining that yes some clergy but not all have sinned, some more than other and explained how no denomination is without sin.And in my inner dialogue I am still seeking ways to influence her with fact, like Jesus founded our church and we should follow his teachings even if we are disallusioned sometime with the church? what does my daughter want to replace the church with? new age garbage or nothing at all? I am sick of public schools trashing religion and steering my kid towards liberalism, liberism is this case is to dismiss organized religion and promote various kinds of sin that are defined in our catechism.What am I going to do?

First, find out if it is in a book or was said by the teacher. If it is in a text book you should be able to check it out. If it is another book, which one and why was it being used.

If it appears to be from the teacher, ask (nicely) to explain. Like: “My daughter told me something she heard about in school…did she get it right or did she perhaps misunderstand?”

If this is in a history class, they may be covering the time period of the Reformation. And it would be legitimate to talk about the reasons for it, one of which of course was the sale of indulgences, or “salvation for money”.

I find very often that teachers and books misinform people about the nature of indulgences.
They often teach that an indulgence is: 1. Something sold by the church 2. Something that guarantees salvation 3. That they are no longer a part of the church
Wong, wrong, and wrong
Only a few priests would sell indulgences, and the church condemned it (simony)
They only take 'time' off of temporal punishments
And the Church still has them, of course they don't sell them, but you can still obtain them (through the rosary, meditating on the stations of the cross, reading scripture...)
And they are not bad

Sounds like it would have to have been the teacher, but even so, it’s possible that your daughter misunderstood.

I cannot imagine a public school text making any such assertion. Now texts used in Fundamentalist Protestant “Christian” schools, possibly, but that is not the case here.

I’m not going to ask why you aren’t sending her to a Catholic school because it’s none of my business, but you should certainly consider that.

[quote="beeliner, post:4, topic:180716"]
Sounds like it would have to have been the teacher, but even so, it's possible that your daughter misunderstood.

I cannot imagine a public school text making any such assertion. Now texts used in Fundamentalist Protestant "Christian" schools, possibly, but that is not the case here.

I'm not going to ask why you aren't sending her to a Catholic school because it's none of my business, but you should certainly consider that.

[/quote]

I tried to enroll her in Catholic school however her mother protested, I am divorced and have joint custody, get along quite well with my ex wife by the way, I am remarried and petitioned and received an anullment form 1st wife.I am going to investigate and try to not cause any trouble.Teachers have to much power to influence young minds as students sometimes do not question their authority or moral standards. My experiences with some teachers have not been good, as a child youth I was aware of molestation of some classmates...how sad.

You might try obtaining a copy of her history book, reading it and then either make an appointment with her teacher or complain to the school board, if there are any anti-Catholic statements, trying to be passed off as facts, in it. I’m not a big fan of home schooling, but I can see why parents would prefer it to some public schools out there.

my point about corrupt teachers is that sin is not exclusive to organized religion…wanted to clarify.

This is how we were taught about indulgences in regards to the Protestant Reformation.

Indulgences used to be abused by some corrupt members of the clergy, explain to your daughter that there is a difference between what corrupt officials do and what the teaching is.

that does clarify what I am going to talk about with her,thanks.

one of the things that people today forget is that persecution is good and healthy and makes one examine what one believes.

Infact, I think the reason most people aren't true catholics today is becuase of the lack of persecution and the call of the subtle seduction of other religions. If "we're all the same" it dosn't matter what you believe in....which is a very compelling lie.

A teacher will likely not outright attack a student when pointing out what they think is foolish about a faith or belief system. This gives you an incredible oppurtunity to research the answers with her, to form her right and take ownership. Unless its her faith it will mean nothing and until its her faith your job is to let her know the truth, becuase you cannot protect her from everyone...especally in this day in age where there is TV, raido and people who defy & skew catholocism.

As a parent, you have EVERY RIGHT to know what your child is being taught. You can opt them out of ANYTHING that is objectionable (you can decide you do not want your child to learn about triangles, and can opt them out of any classes that teach triangles).

You have every right to see the history text. Go to the office first of next week and ask to review the history text.

1. I don’t think that anyone would disagree with that.

2. I don’t believe that you are correct here, because that would mean that, theoretically, you could opt them out of EVERYTHING, which you clearly cannot do. You can certainly take your choice of the accredited schools available at the child’s level.

3. Am I missing something here? Why would the parent need to do that? The child doesn’t have her own copy of the history text?

Look at your rights as a parent in the public schoools - you may find that interesting…

Sounds as if the parent is having a struggle getting ahold of the book - maybe the child leaves it at the custodial parent’s house, maybe the child leaves it at school…

1. I imagine that those would vary somewhat by jurisdiction, but no one has a right to withhold education from their children. And even opting them out of controversial subjects like sex ed, which IS usually permitted, would be complicated by the sharing of custody.

2. Either of those possibilities may be true, leaving it at school seems unlikely, though, unless they have abolished homework.

In any case, it is extremely unlikely that any history book approved for use in a public school would make the statement alleged in the opening post. That the teacher may have made it is certainly possible.

In any case, it is extremely unlikely that any history book approved for use in a public school would make the statement alleged in the opening post. That the teacher may have made it is certainly possible.

Actually, having historically innacurate text books is nothing new. There’s a book called “Unfinished Nation” by Brinkly with a publication run of nearly 50million per version. It is used in advanced Jr. High classes, Highschool classes and some freshman History classes in community colleges. It’s riddled with errors and slant (not just those inflated by 20/20).

That “priests asked catholics to pay for salvation” is thought of as common knowledge mistake and I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if it was in a textbook, albeit in a way that’s proper and not so blunt.

[quote="stcalixtus, post:1, topic:180716"]
My thirteen year old daughter stated that her history teacher or book? stated that centuries ago priests asked Catholics to pay for salvation:

[/quote]

That is how I learned it in my Catholic school.

[quote="purplesunshine, post:16, topic:180716"]
Actually, having historically innacurate text books is nothing new. There's a book called "Unfinished Nation" by Brinkly with a publication run of nearly 50million per version. It is used in advanced Jr. High classes, Highschool classes and some freshman History classes in community colleges. It's riddled with errors and slant (not just those inflated by 20/20).

That "priests asked catholics to pay for salvation" is thought of as common knowledge mistake and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it was in a textbook, albeit in a way that's proper and not so blunt.

[/quote]

I was teaching 5th grade last year, and the current History textbook said that President Andrew Johnson was the only American president ever impeached.
I brought that up to the other public school teachers in the lunch lounge, and they all agreed with the text...... :eek:

[quote=grace]4. That is how I learned it in my Catholic school.

1. I was teaching 5th grade last year, and the current History textbook said that President Andrew Johnson was the only American president ever impeached.
    I brought that up to the other public school teachers in the lunch lounge, and they all agreed with the text…
    [/quote]

2. Well, all history is subjective. Some history is more subjective than some other. I suppose you could call that ‘inaccurate’. But then, inaccurate by whose criteria?

3. See 1. I’m not familiar with the book. Could you give some examples of the errors and slant? I’m certainly not doubting that there could be some, I’m just curious.

4. Well, I’ve never heard that, except perhaps in Protestant Fundamentalist propaganda material. I can’t imagine such a statement in a secular or non-sectarian history text. Lutheran sources generally describe the sale of indulgences quite accurately. The promise was delivery from purgatory, not salvation. The souls in purgatory are already saved.

5. Grace, I think that you are mistaken here. Perhaps it was poorly explained to you.

6. That was, of course, true until the impeachment of President Clinton in December, 2000. That would make the book in question at least nine years old. That is clearly too old for an American History book. The school should have more current textbooks, but don’t blame the publisher, the book was accurate when published.

Clinton was impeached and it happend after losing the election? Both are news to me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.