Pubs warn over plastic pints plan

BBC:

**Pubs warn over plastic pints plan **

Plans to replace the traditional pint glass with one made of shatter-proof plastic will not be accepted by drinkers, the pub industry has warned.

The Home Office has commissioned a new design, in an attempt to stop glasses being used as weapons.

Official figures show 5,500 people are attacked with glasses and bottles every year in England and Wales.
The British Beer and Pub Association said it did not want the new plastic glasses to be made compulsory.

Neil Williams from the association said he was concerned that drinkers would notice a drop in quality.
“For the drinker, the pint glass feels better, it has a nice weight and the drink coats the glass nicely. That’s why people go out for a drink, to have a nice experience.”

Is nothing sacred? I rarely drink but I cannot imagine quaffing Guinness from a plastic glass.

there is over 100,000 pubs in the UK, yet a few idiots cant handle their drink they whole industry should suffer…

I think they should start enforcing pubwatch, bans for thugs etc

The Home Office has commissioned a new design, in an attempt to stop glasses being used as weapons.

Big Sister strikes again. “Now, if you can’t play nicely, children, sister will take your toys away!”

What’s next, they’re going to require everybody to walk, because cars can be used as weapons? Outlaw billiards because the cues can be used as clubs? Do away with refrigerators because you can stuff somebody inside?

Whatever happened to people taking personal responsibility for their own actions, without the government trying to control their every behavior?

I don’t drink at all and took the Pledge due to very bad alcohol abuse problems in my extended family… but there’s something about serving Guinness in a plastic cup that is just so wrong.

See that occasionally here, probably to stop some people being maimed with a glass in the face and scarred for life.

Don’t know if those things will catch on though, not that it matters, as most people in Ireland buy alcohol in stores and drink at home, because of the exorbitant price of drink in the bars lately, and the smoking ban.

Yeah, but that’s just like gun control over here: because a tiny percentage of people use a gun in a crime, the solution is to try to ban everybody from owning a weapon, rather than the more common-sense approach of convicting the individual who misused one in the commission of a crime. In the case over there, just because a few people have used a smashed glass as a weapon, rather than convicting that person, obviously the solution is to take glasses away from everybody. :rolleyes:

That’s just nonsensical.

A comment on the blog where I found the article suggests the the “plastic pint” is part of the UK’s campaign to abolish sharp objects, viz:

BBC:

A team from West Middlesex University Hospital said violent crime is on the increase - and kitchen knives are used in as many as half of all stabbings.
They argued many assaults are committed impulsively, prompted by alcohol and drugs, and a kitchen knife often makes an all too available weapon.
The research is published in the British Medical Journal.
The researchers said there was no reason for long pointed knives to be publicly available at all.

The researchers say legislation to ban the sale of long pointed knives would be a key step in the fight against violent crime.
"The Home Office is looking for ways to reduce knife crime.
“We suggest that banning the sale of long pointed knives is a sensible and practical measure that would have this effect.”

I wonder if anyone in the Home Office has ever read “Harrison Bergeron”???

What will the solution be when angry drunken people try to stuff plastic pint bottles down other angry drunken peoples throats?

Next it will be pointy sticks. So, no more driveways.

I agree with you, but what can we do when 3/4’s of the planet is run by Freemason’s, and believe me, many of the top-dogs are/where Freemason’s, you would be surprised.

We can pool our money, and buy one of the Blasket Islands, and form our own republic. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.