Punishment for a claimant of deity in OTBible

Hi

Kindly quote from OTBible where Jews would have been commanded to kill any person who is a claimant of being God?

Thanks

Hi

There is no response from my Cahtolic friends.

So it proves that Jews were not after Jesus to kill him that he had calimed for himself the office of God, they could have done that logically only if there had been some commandment from Moses in this regared. There was none.

Thanks

It proves nothing except that people didn’t read your question or didn’t care to answer it and I don’t blame them, it’s not a sensible assumption you’ve made.

THere are no laws about having a sewerage system in Jerusalem in the Bible - but you can bet the governing authorities made laws to build one, and enforced them! They absolutely could set laws beyond what the Bible prescribed.

Besides which, it doesn’t matter whether they were commanded to kill Jesus, they WANTED to. They hated Jesus. There are several references where crowds were shown ready to stone Him and He had to escape. They wanted to kill Him so much that they let a proven murderer go free instead of Him.

Leviticus 24:13-16: The LORD then said to Moses, "Take the blasphemer outside the camp, and when all who heard him have laid their hands on his head, let the whole community stone him. Tell the Israelites: Anyone who curses his God shall bear the penalty of his sin; whoever blasphemes the name of the LORD shall be put to death. The whole community shall stone him; alien and native alike must be put to death for blaspheming the LORD’S name.

Blasphemy is a pretty big net; it covers everything from making fun of God to denying God to claiming to be God – which carries the added weight of encouraging others to blaspheme. This is the crime the Pharisees accused Jesus of, starting pretty early in Luke 5:11: Then the scribes and Pharisees began to ask themselves, “Who is this who speaks blasphemies? Who but God alone can forgive sins?”

And in Matthew 26:64-66, we see that the charge eventually laid upon Jesus is that of blasphemy: Jesus said to him in reply, “You have said so. But I tell you: From now on you will see ‘the Son of Man seated at the right hand of the Power’ and ‘coming on the clouds of heaven.’” Then the high priest tore his robes and said, “He has blasphemed! What further need have we of witnesses? You have now heard the blasphemy; what is your opinion?” They said in reply, “He deserves to die!”

Ha! Post one day, get no responses, declare victory the next day. Par for the course in Islamic apologetcs. The only thing surprising is that it took that long.

Much as I agree that paarsurrey was a little hasty there, that’s no excuse to be a jerk about it. Considering how so many people here like to just tear into anything a Muslim says, I’m surprised nobody dug up that Leviticus quote within an hour or two – and I can certainly understand his patience being strained. Mine gets that way too, and even non-theists don’t have to put up with nearly as much here as Muslims do.

Hi

No sir, it was not after 2/3 hours , I think it was after about a whole day that I wrote the second post.

Thanks

The only personal attack in this thread is the “jerk” comment.

Nah, I know :slight_smile: I was just saying that I’d have expected to see the verses from Leviticus in two or three hours, not that you jumped the gun that quickly. I think your declaration of victory was still premature, but yeah, it was almost a day later, not a few hours.

Oh, it was just as abstracted as your comment :slight_smile: Anyway, please, just stop. I’m on your side in this debate, and you’re making me look bad.

You don’t need any help from me. :smiley:

Just kidding!

Hi

I think I never declared any victory, I never discuss to win or lose, I want to get to truth. I was surprised why no reply was forthcoming. I still have got only one answer, I want more replies from my Catholic friends as it is a wide subject and it interests me to know its different aspects.

Thanks

The following is not a declaration of victory??

Besides, Mirdath’s response should be sufficient for you.

Oh, and to echo what LilyM said. Whether or not there was a law in the OT, they still wanted, and tried, to kill him.

Hi

Caiphah and the rest of the Jewish clergy, a number of time repeated their accusation against Jesus, they said and gestured that they were persecuting Jesus for having claimed as King Messiah, a human Prophet for which they were waiting, and they were not waiting for God . They were religious people so they had to do things as per the scriptures.

They plotted against a false human prophet, as defined in the OTBible, not claimant of god for which there is no punishment in this world, yes in hereafter such claimant would be punished by GodAllahYHWH.

Sorry, your argument does not work and has no link with the OTBible.

Thanks

Hmm, my argument was that Mirdath’s response was sufficient for you. Did you not read his response? Here it is, just in case.

Tell us again how there is no law against killing blasphemers in the OT.

I have been reluctant to post because I do not believe it was asked sincerely Why?
this is from another thread

This was posted by paarsurrey note the bible quote that answers his op. why did he ask something that he pretends to have no knowledge of having?

Hi

In fact you have to tell us from OTBible:

1. the punishment of a false Prophet
  2. punishment of blasphemy as also definition of blasphemy
  3. punishment of claimant of deity
  4. punishment for adultery

Please quote from OTBible, so that the matter is clarified.

Thanks

Deuteronomy 18:20-22. "But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded him to say, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, must be put to death."
Because of his righteousness, Jesus prayers were heard, and he was saved from getting a cursed killing on Cross.
Hebrews 5:7 (NIV)
7During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission.

Hi

In fact you have to tell us from OTBible:

1. the punishment of a false Prophet
  2. punishment of blasphemy as also definition of blasphemy
  3. punishment of claimant of deity
  4. punishment for adultery

Please quote from OTBible, so that the matter is clarified.

Thanks

Deuteronomy 18:20-22. "But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded him to say, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, must be put to death."
Because of his righteousness, Jesus prayers were heard, and he was saved from getting a cursed killing on Cross.
Hebrews 5:7 (NIV)
7During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission.

I don’t see any gaps in mirdath’s Old and New
Testement references for why the Jews put Jesus to death nor their view of blasphemy.

Hi

The references from NTBible are not needed, as Jews don’t accept it, the question is asked for references from OTBible, as it were the Jewish Clergy who accused Jesus of claiming a false human Prophet.

Thanks

The ultimate truth about Jesus is:
(Firstly), JesusYeshuaIssa did not leave anything revealed on him from GodAllahYHWH in the form of written stone tablets as was in case of Moses, (Secondly) or anything written by JesusYeshuaIssa himself when he left from Galilee, after the incident of Crucifixion, alongwith his mother Mary in search of the lost ten tribes of the house of Israel, he died natural and peaceful death in Kashmir, India.
Jesus left nothing behind authenticated by him, in possession of the Church.
We do respect the NTGospels which (Thirdly) have account of Jesus life, but it does not have much utility, more value than a book of history subject to scrutiny, internal as well as external, for each event for truth on merit.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.