Punk Rock

LOL! I love this thread…great memories! I’m 40 now…still like all these bands! Two of the bands you mentioned, Bad Religion and Agent Orange, my band opened up for when I was still in a band.

Yes, Bad Religion! I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised. hard to forget such a band symbol One of the band members expressed regret for using that symbol, saying they didn’t mean to shun away religious believers. It was a way to “**** off their parents” when they were 15.

The concert I went to was was part of a celebration of a 30-year anniversary of a concert promotion company called Golden Voice. Some of the headliners were Social Distortion, X, Bad Religion, Adolescents, Descendents, and more.
Special guests of the night I went were Black Flag with Keith Morris. The crowd went INSANE. I’ve had some issues with Black Flag. Okay, so “Black Coffee” and “Nervous breakdown” are some of my guilty pleasures, but their album covers are unsettling.

Social Distortion I would pay to see live. Songs like I was Wrong, Story of My Life, and Ball and Chain are a bit more mature and hopeful.

The majority of the crowd could have been my parents age full of nostalgia (with their age, many of them sat down in benches in the back, haha).

In any case, thanks for your input! I’m not saying punk is my main genre of choice, but it’s something I’ve branched out in recently. I try to live as a Catholic as much as I can, and questions just come up. It’s nice to hear from someone who’s had experience and knows this music.

Also, I feel a bit silly trying to show you a video of Operation Ivy, as if to educate you on what the definition of punk I was going for!

No prob. If the music “speaks” to you, it’s an exercise in futility to try to not like it. (I’ve tried: It doesn’t work - not anymore than how someone who likes Adele or Amy Winehouse but feels conflicted that their music could somehow be sinful tries to avoid Adele or Amy Winehouse, only to melt like butter any time they hear ‘Rolling In The Deep’ or ‘Rehab.’) I’d print out a hard copy of Jimmy Akin’s article if you want, just to keep it handy to refer to - he (Akin) is spot-on by acknowledging the issue is temptation and occasion of sin, not the genre of music.

It’s so embarrassing when old folks are still trying to rock out to the same music they listened to at 15…even more embarrassing when the bands are even older and still playing it…

:rolleyes:

LOL

No more moshing, they could break a hip…:wink:

Wow, you hit the nail on the head about some issues I’ve had. I tried to abstain from punk before, and I sure did “melt like butter” when Operation Ivy’s “Sound System” came on the radio. not a super profound song, but hard to ignore the goosebumps.
Two questions, though: Have you ever received criticism from others who do not agree with your taste in music?
Also, have you heard of the Gaslight Anthem? They take a lot after the Bouncing Souls and Bruce Springstein, and are one of my favorites.

TheRealJuliane: I disagree, and it’s not embarrassing at all. I may have thought that way when I was a kid, but now that I’m older and refuse to give up the music that makes me happy, I am all the more appreciative of other people’s gifts and talents (and, yes, a lot of these “old” bands are talented). “For the rest, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever modest, whatsoever just, whatsoever holy, whatsoever lovely, whatsoever of good fame, if there be any virtue, if any praise of discipline, think on these things.” (Philippians 4:8, Douay-Rheims).

Esther Therese: Yes, the Gaslight Anthem are awesome. Not a bad track on their last album. The Hold Steady’s another band that has positive, uplifting lyrics.

i like the misfits “we are 138” great song and ramones are awesome as well :thumbsup:

havana1, I’m not sure what happened or the whole story, but it’s kind of sad for me to see “banned” under your name.
Thanks for replying to my posts in this thread and in the past.

I was part of the Detroit punk scene in the late 1970s. I hung out with someone who called herself “Linda Magazine,” and there was a guy who ran a club called the Liedernacht. He referred to himself as “Sterling Silver.” I went to Bookies Club 870, the New Miami and a bar in Hamtamck that I can’t remember the name of. I wasn’t there for the booze or cigarettes or drugs. I wanted to hear new sounds and take photos.

I met the lead singer from The Cubes, Retro, and the lead guitar for the Cadillac Kids. The phrase at the time was “Face the '80’s.” There were local punk magazines like Spooie and White Noise. Linda even flew to New York to bring back a bunch of punk publications. I was also involved in the beginning of Techno Music in Detroit. I was friends with Rick Davis (3070) and met Juan Atkins.

But the anarchist perverts were showing their true colors. Iggy Pop with “5 foot, 1” and the Sex Pistols with “Anarchy in the UK.” The Ramones were OK, but I never bought anything by them.

I stopped listening to regular rock in the 1990s.

Peace,
Ed

Husker DU!!!

Greatest ever, and Bob Mould & Grant Hart still make great music.
I’m listening to Neil Diamond ‘Hot August Night’ right now!! Great album.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.