Purgatory defense

Can anyone tell me how to explain Purgatory to a Protestant with some Bible verses that prove it (not Maccabees since they don’t have that in their Bibles)?

1 Cor 3:11For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13each man’s work will become evident; for the Day will show it because it is to be* revealed with fire**, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man’s work. 14If any man’s work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. 15If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.” *

This suffering must refer to some temporal punishment that takes place after death, “the Day” will show it! This is a persons judgment day. We all agree there is no suffering in Heaven and we also would agree that those in Hell will not be saved, but somehow these souls that are saved are also suffering loss after their works were revealed and tested with fire.

Well, for starters you can tell them that Purgatory listed right next to the Trinity in the Bible. :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously, though, I would start out with 1 Corinthians 3:12-15:

If anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, or straw,
the work of each will come to light, for the Day will disclose it. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire (itself) will test the quality of each one’s work. If the work stands that someone built upon the foundation, that person will receive a wage. But if someone’s work is burned up, that one will suffer loss; the person will be saved, but only as through fire.

Revelation 21:27 tells us nothing unclean will enter heaven. Now, does Jesus blood simply cover our sins, like a snow covered dunghill (I believe that was Luther’s analogy), or are we **made **holy? Matthew 5:48 tells us to be perfect, as our Heavenly Father is perfect. Obviously, few of us reach that goal in our life time, so whatever imperfections we have is removed from us before entering Heaven, the way a refiner burns the dross when refining gold.

Thank you guys! I used to only use the example in 1 Corinthians and people would be like, “Katie, that’s only one verse! We need more!” This really helps and I’m glad I now know what to say.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.