Purgatory not apostolic

I know purgarory is a dogma but i cannot find any pattristic testimony on it before orgien, all the quotes i find on praying for the dead dont automatically mean purgatory, since some of the apostolic fathers taught the dead go to a place neither heaven and Hell before the last day, any help?

This Video describes my problems with it well

It helps to understand that Purgatory, Heaven and Hell are not “places.” That is, they exist outside of time and space. So to imagine them as “Places where you go after death” is inaccurate.

It might be better, and I believe more in accord with the Catechism, to think of Purgatory as a PROCESS.

We are all sinners. None of us is pure and free of sin. But can a sinner be admitted to the Devine Presence? We must be purged of our venal sins before we are fit to see God.

Do you believe you enter into heaven and the beatific vision still attached to sin as you are in this life?

1 Like

Do you find patristic teachings on the Trinity?

Peace!!!

The dogma of purgatory developed as a result of reconciling different accounts of the early father’s on the importance of prayers for the dead.

Some early father’s were more correct than others in their theological reasoning, and the church, through her teaching authority, clarified the matter by defining the dogma.

So the apostles didnt teach it?

Yes, alot of it actually

The Jews believed it before Christ (see 2 Maccabees) and even to this day they believe in the final purification, praying a prayer called the Mourner’s Kaddish for their loved one’s purification. St Paul also prayed for Onesiphorus in 2 Timothy.

1 Like

If you are concerned of this matter, I highly advise you to read the second Maccabees.

The word Trinity wasn’t used in the beginning either. Does that mean the understanding of the Trinity, wasn’t believed before it was named?

Broadly speaking, the following describes a process that takes place for someone who is saved, NOT lost, but still goes through a cleansing process before entering heaven. It doesn’t say Purgatory. But the process describes purgatory AFTER one dies and is judged (the Day), which is after judgement but before heaven.

1 Cor 3: 12 Now if any one builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble— 13 each man’s work will become manifest; for the Day[b] will disclose it, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done.14 If the work which any man has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. 15 If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.

For some history HERE AND HERE

1 Like

The Apostles did not understand purgatory; you cannot teach a truth you do not yet know. Not knowing the truth, however, does not make it false.

The Apostles and early father did teach that prayers benefit the dead, but not all agreed on exactly why. Purgatory is the church’s definitive answer on why it is important to do so.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.