Purgatory Question !!

Hey I’m new here. Im starting RCIA this Sunday and I was wondering if anyone can help me get an idea about what purgatory is like and if possible lead me to a refference in the bible? Graci-

Yes.

1. The Catechism of the Catholic Church 1031 says:” "The tradition of the Church, by reference to certain texts of Scripture, speaks of a cleansing fire:

As for certain lesser faults, we must believe that, before the Final Judgment, there is a purifying fire….”
2. A book called Read me or Rue it has been posted on the EWTN educational website.
. ewtn.com/library/SPIRIT/READRUE.TXT
3. The book Read me or Rue it, says the following about Purgatory:
“It is a prison of fire in which nearly all [saved] souls are plunged after
death and in which they suffer the intensest pain…… there is no hunger, no thirst, no poverty, no need, no pain, no
suffering to compare with what the Souls in Purgatory endure…
It is very possible that some of our own nearest and dearest ones are
still suffering the excruciating pains of Purgatory and calling on us
piteously for help and relief…
People do not realize what Purgatory is. They have no conception of its
dreadful pains, and they have no idea of the long years that souls are
detained in these awful fires. …
the fire of Purgatory inflicts the
keenest, most violent pain, but never kills the soul nor lessens its
sensibility…”
4. St. Thomas Aquinas, the Prince of Theologians, says that the fire of
Purgatory is equal in intensity to the fire of Hell, and that the slightest
contact with it is more dreadful than all the possible sufferings of this
Earth!
5. According to St. Augustine: “Some believers will pass through a kind of purgatorial fire. In proportion as they loved the goods that perish with more or less devotion, they shall be more or less quickly delivered from the flames.” (Enchiridion 69, 110).

How to Explain Purgatory to Protestants

It’s great for Catholics, too! (The article, as well as Purgatory itself.)

Heaven is hotter than Hell.

Ever heard that before?

God’s love is like an inferno.

We have to be pure in order to be in His presence or we “burn up”.

Gold is a metal that can have some impurities, but once you burn off these impurities the gold is pure.

This is us with venial sins. Venial sin is a less serious offense against the law of God, which does not deprive the soul of sanctifying grace, and which can be pardoned even without sacramental confession.

Be ye therefore perfect, as also your heavenly Father is perfect. **(Matthew 6:48) **

God loves us so much and He wants us to be with Him in Heaven.But we have to be free from sin.

But if we are like sticks and we go into the fire to be “purified” we “burn up”.
This is what happens to us in the presence of God if we have Mortal sins on our souls.

Mortal sin is a grievous offense against the law of God.

Flee from sins as from the face of a serpent; for if thou comest near them, they will take hold of thee. (Ecclesiasticus 21:2)

This sin is called mortal, or deadly, because it deprives the sinner of sanctifying grace, the supernatural life of the soul.

Before man is life and death, good and evil; that which he shall choose shall be given him. (Ecclesiasticus 15:18)

Besides depriving the sinner of sanctifying grace, mortal sin makes the soul an enemy of God, takes away the merit of all its good actions, deprives it of the right to everlasting happiness in heaven, and makes it deserving of everlasting punishment in hell.

For the wages of sin is death; but the grace of God, life everlasting in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 6:23)

Those are punished for a time in purgatory who die in the state of grace but are guilty of venial sin, or have not fully satisfied for the temporal punishment due to their sins.

The fire will assay the quality of everyone’s work; if his work abides which he has built thereon, he will receive reward; if his work burns he will lose his reward, but himself will be saved, yet so as through fire. **(I Corinthians 3:13-15) **

Purgatory in Scripture
scripturecatholic.com/purgatory.html

I find this stuff a little hard to believe.

**Hebrews 12:29 **
29 for our God is a consuming fire.

1 Corinthians 3
12Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw,

13each man’s work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the **fire itself will test the quality of each man’s work. **

14If any man’s work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a **reward. **

15If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss; **but **he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

**1 Peter 1:6-7 **

6In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials,

7so that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ;

Revelation 3:18-19

18I advise you to buy from Me **gold refined by fire **so that you may become rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself, and that the shame of your nakedness will not be revealed; and eye salve to anoint your eyes so that you may see.

19’Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline; therefore be zealous and repent.

**Daniel 12:10 **
10"Many will be purged, purified and refined, but the wicked will act wickedly; and none of the wicked will understand, but those who have insight will understand.

Wis. 3:5-6
5 Afflicted in few things, in many they shall be well rewarded: because God hath tried them, and found them worthy of himself.

Sirach 2:5

5 For gold and silver are tried in the fire, but acceptable men in the** furnace **of humiliation.

Zech. 13:8-9

8"It will come about in all the land,"
Declares the LORD,
“That two parts in it will be cut off and perish;
But the** third will be left in it.**
9"And I will bring the third part through the fire,
**Refine them as silver is refined,
And test them as gold is tested **
They will call on My name,
And I will answer them;
I will say, 'They are My people,'
And they will say, ‘The LORD is my God.’”

Mal. 3:2-3**

2"But who can endure the day of His coming? And who can stand when He appears? For He is like a **refiner’s fire **and like fullers’ soap.

3"He will sit as a smelter and purifier of silver, and He will purify the sons of Levi and refine them like gold and silver, so that they may present to the LORD offerings in righteousness.

It is not the fires of Hell that is being talked about! It is Purgatory! Where we go to be refined before we can enter Heaven!

This might help some.
Biblical and Jewish Traditional Beliefs About Purgatory

This was an excellent article. Thanks for posting it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.