Purgatory/Requested favors

I recently asked the holy souls in purgatory to obtain for me good news on my dads test results this week. I told them that I would offer fifteen masses up for them if they could obtain this for me, and for my dad's cure. Prior to getting the news, I sent a check for a stipend for four masses and promised them eleven more the following months, if we got good news.

Not only did we get bad news, but something even more unexpected. My dad, who has had four cancers already, was diagnosed with a new one, a fifth cancer, and an ugly one at that..

I am conflicted now. I didn't get what I prayed for, and yet I feel like I would be a schmuck if I didn't have thoses masses said for them anyway. What should I do.I am so sorrowful right now, having to watch my dad suffer anew... its almost unbearable.

First off, God will never put you in a situation that you can't get through or overcome. I always make promises to Holy Souls to obtain for me certain requests....they have never let me down. Have those Masses said and see what happens......

Dear Lucky Scrunchy,

Firstly, I'm sorry to hear about your father's bad news. Please rest assured that he is in my prayers.

Secondly, I agree with Battle Warrior. Go ahead and have the rest of the eleven Masses said for the Holy Souls in Purgatory.

Thirdly, I've just been through a similar scenario. Went to a special Lenten retreat to pray for healing for my best friend. Best friend's health problems now seem even worse after my prayers and having asked God's special blessings. She is still asking for my prayers, and I will still pray.

Sometimes when God sends healing, it's not physical. It may be spiritual healing instead that we simply may not be able to see right now. I trust that God has not ignored these prayers for healing, but is instead answering them in His time and with our best interests at heart.

:blessyou:

[quote="Lucky_Scrunchy, post:1, topic:234646"]
...I asked the holy souls in purgatory to obtain for me good news on my dads test results this week...

[/quote]

Dear one, I am so very very sorry to hear about your father. I will pray for him I promise and pray for you too.

Perhaps this is not the time for a lesson but here goes (with all charity) the holy souls in purgatory are in a position to obtain nothing for you. Yes, they are in a position to ask God for favors for you and love to do so but they do not have the power to heal your father!

Dear one, the one granting healing to your Father is the Almighty God, but you already know this don't you. Many of us out of fear or desperation try everything within our grasp.

You can have millions of Masses said for the Holy Souls in Purgatory and it is not a guarantee of anything happening here on Earth. This isn't a system where we get Masses said for them and they obtain favors for us as if some tit-for-tat or business arrangement. What we need to remind ourselves always is to seek the will of God.

Trust in Jesus. He loves you so very very much and wants to be close to you.

You are depressed and are carrying a heavy cross of sadness and anxiety. Think of our Lord Jesus Christ. Remember that he didn't want his cross either! In fact he asked for it to Please be taken away! Even so he surrendered to the Father's will. You do not want this cross to bear and neither does your Father. Try and be Christ like as best as you can and embrace the crosses that you cannot avoid. Love and Peace await you even though it seems impossible to see. God bless you.

I absolutely agree with Monicad. I'm so sorry to hear about your situation, but I also agree that the souls in purgatory are not in a position to help you obtain healing for your father. God has plans for everybody and he has plans for your father and only God knows what the outcome will be. I think having masses said will be immensely helpful to your father though as the souls in purgatory can pray for your father's soul which is much more important!

I often think about God watching his son on the cross and it tears me up to imagine what that must have been like. I allow myself to realize that to have gone through that (I have children) and watched it must have taken everything he had to allow it, and it was all for us!! It helps me to remember in my personal situations that God has been tortured (by watching his son be crucified), like no other soul ever should be and if he could do it, then so can I!!

I hope you can have some peace with your father's situation and I pray for him, whatever his outcome will be.

As a side note, when I need extra help, I pray to all of the angels out there, there are so many! We all have Guardian Angels, but there are so many more that are watching over us! I suggest you pray to them to help your family get through this!

Also, have you looked into healing masses? My mother goes to one every month in a local church, maybe there are masses like that around you? She calls them exactly that, a "healing mass."

Trust in God!

I appreciate all the advice and encouragement posted on this thread. May God bless you all. Thank you for giving me food for thought!

I just wanted to say how sorry I am for all that your Father has and will continue to endure with his illness. I also can imagine how very difficult it is for you to feel helpless and seek any means possible to try and help him heal.

I will pray for you both.

Thank you so much... you are so very compassionate!

God bless you one hundred fold!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.