Purgatory

I'm curious, does anyone believe in more than one version of purgatory? I agree with the Catechism and I also agree with Dante's view in the Divine Comedy. Anyone else share my views or have any other thoughts on your perception of purgatory?

I have always understood Purgatory to entail two certain aspects: pain and fire. I would say believing in much beyond that is speculative. In any event, I think the main thing one ought to believe about purgatory is that you don’t want to have to go there.

This book was recently recommended to me. It seems to offer a diligent treatment of the subject. I have not yet read it, but it is on my reading list.

[quote="nch1917, post:2, topic:182577"]
I have always understood Purgatory to entail two certain aspects: pain and fire. I would say believing in much beyond that is speculative. In any event, I think the main thing one ought to believe about purgatory is that you don't want to have to go there.

This book was recently recommended to me. It seems to offer a diligent treatment of the subject. I have not yet read it, but it is on my reading list.

[/quote]

Well, I'm not going to try and avert my path. If God wants me to go purgatory, I'll go to purgatory. If I end up in heaven or hell, it's my decisions that will land me there. Now, I'll make right decisions and go to confession, just using my beliefs as an example. Thanks for the feedback though!

my understanding is that if you make it to purgatory, you will eventually get to Heaven. Purgatory is the final stop to cleanse the soul so you may see God. I'm sure it is painful in some way but how is all speculation. Personally, I will be happy to get there knowing what is to come. If we are good boys and girls it is possible to go straight to Heaven. So let's hope we all make it. Take care.

Yeah, I agree. I just don’t know about the good boy part :stuck_out_tongue:

I tend to recommend this book a lot, but this helped me get a good sense of what purgatory is.

It's called Purgatory: Explained by the Lives and Legends of the Saints by F. X. Schouppe

It was written back in the 1800s, but it's about what the saints say. It's not all fun in purgatory, that's why we should all aim for heaven. Purgatory is both pain and loss, according to the sentence of each person. God is just, so each sentence and discipline is specific to each persons' sins.

[quote="runner93, post:3, topic:182577"]
Well, I'm not going to try and avert my path. If God wants me to go purgatory, I'll go to purgatory. If I end up in heaven or hell, it's my decisions that will land me there. Now, I'll make right decisions and go to confession, just using my beliefs as an example. Thanks for the feedback though!

[/quote]

God doesn't want anyone to go to Purgatory. He wants everyone to go straight to Heaven. It is, nonetheless, necessary for some of us to go to Purgatory as a final cleansing of our souls before entering Heaven.

It is true that if you find yourself in Purgatory you will soon be in Heaven and there is great joy in that. However, we should be mindful that Purgatory also means that we are not right with God and there is shame and regret in that.

My personal observations have led me to believe that most Catholics fail to take advantage of the many opportunities for indulgences provided by the Church. These indulgences are intended not only to help us to avoid Purgatory, but also to bring us closer to the Lord.

[quote="DihydrogenOxide, post:6, topic:182577"]
I tend to recommend this book a lot, but this helped me get a good sense of what purgatory is.

It's called Purgatory: Explained by the Lives and Legends of the Saints by F. X. Schouppe

It was written back in the 1800s, but it's about what the saints say. It's not all fun in purgatory, that's why we should all aim for heaven. Purgatory is both pain and loss, according to the sentence of each person. God is just, so each sentence and discipline is specific to each persons' sins.

[/quote]

i will heartily second this recommendation.

Just a few tidbits:

-one's stay in Purgatory is not necessarily short. Some souls are sentenced to suffer the purging until the Last Day.
-There is a comfort in Purgatory knowing you can no longer offend God and you will one day make it to Heaven.
-There are many differing accounts of what Purgatory looks like. It could be this way because it is not a physical place but a state of mind since we would be only souls at that point. But differing accounts might exist because that was the way it was shown to different humans in a way they could understand it. One thing is for sure - there is pain as a means of purification.

I didn’t necessarily mean I want to go to purgatory. I meant if God wants me to go to purgatory to cleanse my sins, I will go.

[quote="runner93, post:1, topic:182577"]
I'm curious, does anyone believe in more than one version of purgatory? I agree with the Catechism and I also agree with Dante's view in the Divine Comedy. Anyone else share my views or have any other thoughts on your perception of purgatory?

[/quote]

Maybe I should refine my belief. I believe that purgatory painfully cleanses us of our sins, much like how Dante describes in the Divine Comedy. Dante describes purgatory as fitting the sins much like his version of hell; I agree with that perspective.

[quote="DihydrogenOxide, post:6, topic:182577"]

[/quote]

Yes, this book is a great book. :D Whether you buy it from Tan Books or read the etext.

by F. X. Schouppe Purgatory: Explained by the Lives and Legends of the Saints

What it makes clear is there are a variety of forms that purgatory takes, fitting the sins of each person.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.