purgatory

Do all souls that will get to heaven when they die go to purgatory first, even the souls that have been canalized saints?

Depends on the imperfections the soul still has when they die.

Jim

Not necessarily. It depends on whether a soul needs to be purified of its imperfections, possible attachments to venial sins, and whether or not there are still some lingering temporal punishments from venial and mortal sins that need to be atoned for. It is very possible that with the right dispositions a soul can gain a plenary indulgence right before death in which case that soul would go directly to heaven bypassing purgatory.

I am sure you mean “canonized” saints.

All I can say is LOL in regards to my spelling. I have trimmers and can hardly write or type. However, when I saw what I wrote it tickled me pink. Thanks for pointing that out. Getting old is no joke. I will add, I am not the best speller in the world anyway. I have won no spelling contest. Ha, Ha!

I am not a youngster either. I always liked spelling tests. However, when I speak I cannot always articulate myself too well unless I practice in my head first! :slight_smile:

One can also die having received the Apostolic Pardon (which carries a plenary indulgence). That pretty much skips purgatory.

…and where does one get this “get out of jail free card???”

I’m sorry my friend I believe there are several ways to get out of going to purgatory but I don’t know if an Apostolic Pardon is one of them, never heard that before. However on the flip side if I knew everything then I’d be God and I’m not so maybe…

At the approach or moment of death. The Apostolic Blessing/Pardon is administered as death approaches and carries with it a plenary indulgence (Enchiridion, grant 28). Anyone who dies having received a plenary indulgence and not having incurred any further sin from that point has no temporal punishment owing, so goes straight to heaven.

Further, the Church generously grants a plenary indulgence to the faithful rightfully disposed, if a priest is unavailable, provided they regularly prayed in some way during their lifetime (cf. Indulgentarium Doctrina, norm 18).

AND further, at the moment of death, these plenary indulgences can be obtained even if one had already received a plenary indulgence by another means on the same day, an exception to the “one plenary indulgence per day” law.

I don’t know if your “get out of jail free” remark or “my friend” constitutes sarcasm, but these are the grants of the Church. Why not take advantage of them? We should all die so blessed.

Are you sure that making up for “temporal punishment” not received on Earth is the only function of purgation?

We should all die so blessed, that much I agree with however do you know the hardest and most important part of obtaining a plenary indulgence? There can be no attachment to sin, not even venial!!! I’m not sure there are very many times I can say that I’ve had absolutely no attachment to sin, in which case that plenary indulgence turns to a partial and the poor and yet blessed soul goes to purgatory to have their venial sin/s purified. In fact there is only one plenary indulgence that can cover even a venial attachment to sin and that is the plenary indulgence you can gain on Divine Mercy Sunday.

Pretty sure, what are you eluding to?

True. However, I was talking about receiving a plenary indulgence, which means receiving a plenary indulgence. If you receive the Apostolic Pardon, subject to the right disposition, you get the plenary indulgence. Right disposition includes no attachment to sin.

And no, not even the Divine Mercy plenary indulgence dispenses with the detachment from sin requirement. That still stands.

I shouldn’t have had to explicitly voice out the requirement to a Catholic audience. We are supposed to know that that’s the case and anyone who read what I wrote should have assumed that’s implied. Why you’re lecturing me therefore puzzles me.

And further, a partial indulgence is better than none.

AND I was responding to your question about what the Apostolic Pardon is, where the grant is found, and how it’s obtained. You did not have to make this a discussion about the right dispositions.

Only God knows who goes to Purgatory first. The Church does not know.

I would say it’s clear that baptized babies who have not reached the age of discernment got directly to heaven, do not pass go. (to compete with the “Get our of Jail Free” card.)

As a practicing Catholic I totally deny Purgatory because it is negating Jesus sacrifice on the Cross by giving a second chance at salvation. Salvation can only come about on this side of the grave.
:slight_smile:

It isn’t a second chance at salvation. The person who enters purgatory is there to be purified to see God face to face, (Heaven). (If they need such purification). The person does not have his/her back turned on God. They are in a state of grace at their death, but they have not been totally sanctified as they could have been.

I don’t think you understand the concepts of salvation and sanctification.

Can you really be a practicing Catholic and deny Purgatory?
What about all the Church-approved apparitions of Holy Souls from Purgatory?

Said no saint ever…

I invite you to reconsider your position, and also to do some research on what this doctrine is and means - it is clear that you are misunderstanding it, and quite radically.

Remember, we believe what the Church teaches because it is what God teaches, and God never lies.

Sorry I didn’t mean to turn this into an argument I’ve said my piece, I’m not going to continue down this path, peace…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.