Purity and intimacy?

I was wondering what you might think of this quote—

Purity is essential for intimacy.

Have you found this to be true in your life? Why or why not? Or what about the opposite–Lack of purity hinders intimacy.

Thoughts?

Yes, in my experience purity is essential for intimacy. As I am increasingly practicing purity, I have a greater capability to be focused more on others in my life, able to rest on our Lord Jesus Christ for my security and peace of mind. This allows me to be more open to get to know others and for them to get to know me. Recently, I have experienced a tenderness of love and caring not previously experienced.

In my sinful experiences of physical intimacy without spiritual intimacy, emotional intimacy, and intellectual intimacy, it has only lead to a sense of isolation and loss.

"Blessed are the pure of heart, for they shall see God." (Matt 5,8)

Purity increases intimacy as it helps love embrace the full dimension of the human personality.

I have to agree with that quote completely. In my relationship I've been discovering what purity means concretely (mostly through mistakes I've made along the way). My boyfriend is very much about becoming closer, opening up and being intimate. Not through sex, but for a long time there were physical things that lacked purity and I realized that it was destroying our intimacy more than building it up. By practicing chastity and growing in purity together, we've healed a lot of little hurts that resulted from trying to be close without enough reguard for purity. Purity allows us to trust ourselves with the other and has increased our love for one another by a lot. With this kind of growth, I'm confident that a couple can prepare for marriage, which is where intimacy belongs anyway.

I found this paragraph in the Cathechism of the Catholic Church interesting and wanted to share.

“Purity requires modesty, and integral part of temperance. Modesty protects the intimate center of the person. It means refusing to unveil what should remain hidden. It is ordered to chastity to whose sensitivity it bears witness. It guides how one looks at others and behaves toward them in conformity with the dignity of persons and their solidarity.” (CCC: 2521)

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.