Purity Ring?

I'm being given a purity ring (I am 17), and it can be engraved on the inside with anything I want. I was thinking something simple such as "ave maria," or a verse, but I am not sure what would be appropriate. Do you have any ideas?

I wasn't sure where to put this post, so if it is in the incorrect place, I am sorry.

:)

I’d say anything that is inspiring to you. Maybe a quote or a phrase that helps you through tough times. I suppose it couldn’t be too long, though…

No, it can't be too long. 25 characters, including spaces.

I saw this Ring The other day.

I was thinking I might get it for my God Daughter when she hits puberty.

I had this poem read at my wedding... but I think the very first statement is very appropriate for a purity ring...

LOVE is patient...

[quote="faithfully, post:4, topic:216348"]

I had this poem read at my wedding... but I think the very first statement is very appropriate for a purity ring...

LOVE is patient...

[/quote]

Excellent idea!

LOVE is patient...

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

LOVE is patient...

[/quote]

I love that! 1 Corinthians 13:4! Love is patient, love is kind...

On the surface, the sentiment is lovely. However, it bothers me a bit that many of these rings are given/will be given as gifts.

Teenage girls (and boys, for that matter) often want to "try their wings" i.e., they may wear them as an experiment-or even as a mockery of the sentiment!

So, I'd advise parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, older siblings, and other family members to talk over their intentions with the intended recipients, reassuring themselves that the gifts will be accepted in the spirit with which they are given. Also, as further assurance, they could offer to pay for any engraving, or at least be the one to order the gift. One should always make sure, as much as possible, that a sentiment from God NOT be mocked!

[quote="Legend, post:8, topic:216348"]
One should always make sure, as much as possible, that a sentiment from God NOT be mocked!

[/quote]

It doesn't sound to me like the OP is interested in mocking anything at all. I think it's an beautiful gift.

I love the "Love is patient" idea. Or, you could put something like "For my future spouse."

I love "Love is patient." As a Lutheran teenager I always wanted a "True Love Waits" ring, but I think "Love is Patient" is more poetic, and you gotta love a direct quote from the Bible (and a verse that you will probably hear on your wedding day--when you get to celebrate Love being so patient!) :thumbsup:

[quote="wantingtoknow, post:1, topic:216348"]
I'm being given a purity ring (I am 17), and it can be engraved on the inside with anything I want. I was thinking something simple such as "ave maria," or a verse, but I am not sure what would be appropriate. Do you have any ideas?

I wasn't sure where to put this post, so if it is in the incorrect place, I am sorry.

:)

[/quote]

Ave maria would be good choice for the ring. Another idea could be "waiting for you." If my ring could have been engraved this is what I would have written as I plan on giving it to my future spouse on our wedding night. Whatever inspires you will be a beautiful choice though. :)

Yes-in fact, the “patient” quote is part of what is often called “the love chapter (I Cor 13)” of the Bible. I just never see anything around here promoting the sentiment except for “true love waits”. also, the biblical quote has another advantage-you never have to stop wearing it, as it includes all kinds of love.

and, sorry, I didn’t follow the link to this ring until after I posted. Yes, I know even the Bible can be misused-but is less likely to be.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.