Pursuing the Priesthood

I am almost 16 years old, and for the past four years have heard a calling from God to pursue the priesthood. I’ve been talking to many priests, as well as the Vocations Director of the Order that I want to join, and have decided that after high school, I am going to enter the seminary and study to become a priest.

Is there any advice that you would give to me, or someone like me as I continue to discern my vocation?

Pray. Pray often, pray long, live prayer. And make sure you receive the sacraments; that includes penance and reconciliation.

You may also want to do some studying as well. Maybe of the catechism or scriptures? Maybe of the writings of the Saints? Something, anyway.

Finally, you’ll want to meet some seminarians or other young men looking into seminary in your area. At 20 I really have no idea what God is calling me to and no one has set my heart to peace with that uncertainty better than a couple of friends of mine who are headed to seminary in August. For you, it’d be more a matter of gaining perspective on what lies ahead as well as support as you approach your vocation.

May the Lord bless you and prepare you for years to come.

Looks like we’re in the same boat, brother. I, too, am a nearly-16 year old discerner:)

There’s this thread: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=161308

Try to look into your diocese’s college seminary, if you haven’t already. The recruitment director will probably have some material for you, and not just in terms of registration.:slight_smile:

At least take a look at the thread I linked to. It’s the CAF discernment thread.:thumbsup:

Thanks!

As for literature, I gobble it up. I read whatever I can get my hands on - the Bible, the Catechism, encyclicals, apologetic-based books, et cetera. I love theology and philosophy, and I love to read.

Again, thank you for your response.

Wow! Thanks for the tip!

It sounds like you’re pretty well on the right track then. But, since I’m still on here, I might also suggest eucharistic adoration and the rosary as well as The Way by Saint Josemaria Escriva. I’m only about half-way through it, but that little book has really multiplied my regard for the priesthood and is continuing to help me live a holier life.

Have a good night and I will ask St. Maksymilian’s intercession for you tonight.

Stay-at-Home Catholic Dad of 3… is me! (andproud to be)

**Saint John Mary Vianney **

Also known as:
Cure of Ars

Memorial: 4 August

Farm hand who in his youth taught other children their prayers and catechism. Ordained in 1815, though it took several years study as he had little education, was not a very good student, and his Latin was terrible. Assigned for a while to Ecully. In 1818 he was assigned to the parish of Ars, a tiny village near Lyons, which suffered from very lax attendance; he began visiting his parishioners, especially the sick and poor. Spent days in prayer, doing penance for his parishioners. Gifted with discernment of spirits, prophecy, hidden knowledge, and working miracles. Tormented by evil spirits, especially when he tried to get his 2-3 hours of sleep each night. Crowds came to hear him preach, and to make their reconciliation because of his reputation with penitents; by 1855 there were 20,000 pilgrims a year to Ars. Spent 40 years as the parish priest.

**Born ** 8 May 1786 at Dardilly, Lyons, France

**Died ** 4 August 1859 at Ars, France of natural causes

**Name Meaning ** God is gracious; gift of God

**Venerated ** 26 July 1896

**Beatified ** 8 January 1905

**Canonized ** 31 May 1925

**Patronage **
Dubuque, Iowa, archdiocese of
confessors
Kansas City, Kansas, archdiocese of
** priests **

I will pray for your discernment. Be A Good Fisherman!:clapping:

Paul

Don’t assume the “famous” orders are the best. The Jesuits and even the Dominicans should be looked at with a very critical eye nowadays.

Several other lesser-known orders are sort of the Jesuits and Dominicans of the current era.

Figure out what kind of work you want to do as a priest. If you want to be a parish priest you’ll want to either enroll in your diocese’s program or join an order which provides parish priests around the world. If you want to teach, then find one which produces teachers. If you want to do missionary work, there are several orders which specialize in that kind of development.

I am 18 years old in a few days, currently living in Canada and ending my high school in two weeks. I applied to a seminary in Slovakia and in june i will be flying out there to write the entrance exams.
I am soo excited!!!
I have been discerning since 16.
I have a little problem though, not on my part, i am determined to go and believe the call from Our Lord is genuine, but what the problem is are girls lately.
One knows that i am discerning the priesthood but she still wants to be with me.
The other case is more random though; we hardly ever talked before until recently (2 weeks ago), and then randomly she wanted to go out with me. I explained to her that i am going to study for the priesthood in september. She asked how long is the study program and i told her roughly 6 years. She then said she will wait for me. I was one; shocked and two; asked her what she would do if i came back ordained. Anyways now she is angry with me even though i explained everything before hand.
Does anyone have any advice?!?!
I really do not want to leave on bad terms with anyone.
thanks
Mathias

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.