Put oil firm chiefs on trial, says leading climate change scientist

It seems the “Global Warming” crowd has no qualms about doing what they false accuse Bush of doing and that is using threats to censor with criminal charges those who do not agree with their agenda:

Put oil firm chiefs on trial, says leading climate change scientist

James Hansen, one of the world’s leading climate scientists, will today call for the chief executives of large fossil fuel companies to be put on trial for high crimes against humanity and nature, accusing them of actively spreading doubt about global warming in the same way that tobacco companies blurred the links between smoking and cancer.

Hansen will use the symbolically charged 20th anniversary of his groundbreaking speech (pdf) to the US Congress - in which he was among the first to sound the alarm over the reality of global warming - to argue that radical steps need to be taken immediately if the “perfect storm” of irreversible climate change is not to become inevitable.

Full Story

This is not the first time this has happened. The real criminals here are the “global warming” crowd. :mad:

Those who deny global warming have been called flat earthers and holocaust deniers. And now they’re as bad as tobacco execs.

This is getting absurd.

It shows the desperation of their argument.

It’s not so much that global warming exists, it’s the question of man’s contribution to it. Gore and others want us to believe that only man is responsible and will accept no other explanations or theories.

You denier, you!! You must be in the pockets of big tobacco!! … err, Oil!! Yeah, oil. :smiley:

As opposed the ones in the pockets of big government. And those are some deep pockets indeed.

So much for the First Amendment.

No comment need…though the phrase “educated idiot” keeps popping into my mind.

i agree, but first, put all wineries/breweries and distilleries on trial for rape and murder from drunkenness then frito-lay and all soda companies for producing diabetes and obesity.

then we can go after gun manufacturers, anything that makes boys act like soldiers including toy gun manufacturers and gi joe, then the catholic church who makes people feel guilty about being homosexual and committ suicide and finally the family which stands in the way of true liberation comrades.

sounds like the democratic national party platform. blame everyone else and let the state control us because only the enlightened elites know how to manage themselves and others and certainly not the common man.

wattsupwiththat.wordpress.com/2008/04/11/hansen-pressures-textbook-publisher/

Hansen pressures textbook publisher.

Recently we saw how an environmental activist managed to convince a BBC writer that the story he wrote had to be changed to reflect what the activist perceived to be the “correct” view.

Now we find that Dr. James Hansen, director of GISS, has done the same, and on NASA stationery no less. Read the entire letter here courtesy of the “Friends of the Earth” website.

Because Hansen wrote on NASA stationery, it becomes a public document, which we can view here. For that reason, I’ve posted a backup copy here, just in case the original disappears or changes. See hansen_letter.

Writing to Houghton Mifflin Company, Hansen asks for changes in the textbook to reflect what he considers to be the truth and consensus:

Apparently, there is no room for debate in the classroom on these issues. Apparently also there is no uncertainty. Hansen also makes a mention of “so called activist scientists”. I think he proved the point about activist scientists quite well with this letter.

Hey. Wait a minute. The guy is from NASA? Didn’t some “whistleblower” say NASA was censoring him on the order of Bush? :eek::cool:

This guy is an idiot and this stunt proves it!!

But there are bigger ones who are insane enough to do it and they will find someone in the judicial activist oligarchy to go along with it. Maybe the oil execs should sue him for terroristic threats first.

Neo-McCarthyism

More like just another attack of the plague of Relativism. They cannot stand anyone being against their agenda. That is why the want to use any means possible to censor them. Tolerance to them is that we must abandon the truths and worship their falsehoods.

James Hansen, one of the world’s leading climate scientists, will today call for the chief executives of large fossil fuel companies to be put on trial for high crimes against humanity and nature, accusing them of actively spreading doubt about global warming in the same way that tobacco companies blurred the links between smoking and cancer.

Well, that’ll certainly help bring prices down. :rolleyes:

I don’t agree with putting anyone on trial for this. What I would agree with is providing oil companies more incentive to become involved in research into alternate energy production. Whether or not you agree in global warming, oil is becoming more and more expensive to extract.

Hansen is a smart man but he’s certainly lost his objectivity.

I read the links, but couldn’t find the part where Hansen says we should put “oil firm chiefs” on trial.

I wouldn’t presume to say that this was a conscious deception, but I’d sure like someone to show me a checkable source for that one.

Edit: Turns out that Hansen didn’t say that, but a prominent denier said that he was going to say it. And, a bit later, they can convince the rubes that he actually said it. Himmler would be proud.

What he actually said:

As usual, they figure a “good, strong lie” is O.K. if it’s for a good cause.

From the article:

In an interview with the Guardian he said: “When you are in that kind of position, as the CEO of one the primary players who have been putting out misinformation even via organisations that affect what gets into school textbooks, then I think that’s a crime.”

Of course he will deny he said it.

From the interview:

CEOs of fossil energy companies know what they are doing and are aware of long-term consequences of continued business as usual. In my opinion, these CEOs should be tried for high crimes against humanity and nature.

Conviction of ExxonMobil and Peabody Coal CEOs will be no consolation if we pass on a runaway climate to our children. Humanity would be impoverished by ravages of continually shifting shorelines and intensification of regional climate extremes. Loss of countless species would leave a more desolate planet.

So, unlike your assertion. HE DID SAY IT.

Hansen reportedly said:
In an interview with the Guardian he said: “When you are in that kind of position, as the CEO of one the primary players who have been putting out misinformation even via organisations that affect what gets into school textbooks, then I think that’s a crime.”

Of course he will deny he said it.

So he didn’t say he wanted to put people on trial after all? Imagine that.

As I said, the deniers figure a lie is justifiable, if it serves their purposes.

Hey. Wait a minute. The guy is from NASA? Didn’t some “whistleblower” say NASA was censoring him on the order of Bush?

Yeah, a while back. Some snotty little guy who had worked on the Bush campaign in Texas was given a mid-level bureaucrat’s job, and tried to force Hanson to be more compliant with the political goals of the government.

Turns out he had lied on his resume about being a college graduate, and he’s bye-bye.

**George C. Deutsch, the young presidential appointee at NASA who told public affairs workers to limit reporters’ access to a top climate scientist and told a Web designer to add the word “theory” at every mention of the Big Bang, resigned yesterday, agency officials said.

Mr. Deutsch’s resignation came on the same day that officials at Texas A&M University confirmed that he did not graduate from there, as his résumé on file at the agency asserted.

Officials at NASA headquarters declined to discuss the reason for the resignation.**
nytimes.com/2006/02/08/politics/08nasa.html

And then when Congress investigated, they turned up numerous other instances of other scientists being pressured by political appointees to deny warming and a host of other things.

So the exposure led to the administration backing off.

In defence of Barbarian, there is a difference between saying, “In my opinion, these CEOs should be tried for high crimes against humanity and nature.” and advocating that the government put them on trial.

Picking out a single sentence, taking it out of context, and claiming that it is one of the fundamental points of his speech is a little dishonest.

The bulk of his speech is a call for some measures that will reduce CO2 output. Yet these sources are ignoring the bulk of his speach and focussing on one throwaway line that’s followed by a “but that won’t fix it” type statement.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.