Putin approves change to law decriminalising domestic violence

Putin approves change to law decriminalising domestic violence

Vladimir Putin has signed into law a controversial amendment that decriminalises domestic violence.

The amendment, which sailed through both houses of Russian parliament before Tuesday’s presidential signing, has elicited anger from critics who say that it sends the wrong message in a country where one woman dies every 40 minutes from domestic abuse.

From now on, beatings of spouses or children that result in bruising or bleeding but not broken bones are punishable by 15 days in prison or a fine, if they do not happen more than once a year. Previously, they carried a maximum jail sentence of two years.

Expect the GOP to follow suit given Bannon’s and Trump’s background?

Expect the GOP to follow suit given Bannon’s and Trump’s background?

No. And perhaps a little charity towards President Trump would be in order.

There was no reason for you to post that nasty bit of speculation in this forum.

Hooray for Europe’s so-called defender of Christianity. :nope:

russia? defender of Christianity? hardly

last time I check, they were the ones who perpetuated communism and squashed christianity for over 50 years at least.

I have no clue what good decriminalizing domestic violence does in a society. as long as it doesn’t happen too often, then no punishment? since when?

50 years is a small portion of Russian history. Also this bill is rather more complex than what is been said here, It has parts I disagree with as well as it happens but it is been used to foster a particular image of Russia. Those who complain about the media trying to foster images of Trump or Pope Francis should also note that applies to other nations and Russia, for good or ill, is rather more complex than either ‘a defender of Christianity’ or an ‘evil empire’.

Agreed, or at least not such an outlandish post. Good Grief!~

^^^^This. If the Ford dealer is telling you about GM’s problems–why do you think that is?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.