Putin says Democrats sore losers, praises Trump

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Vladimir Putin praised U.S. President-elect Donald Trump on Friday, saying he had his finger on the pulse of U.S. society, and launched a scathing attack on the Democrats, saying they had forgotten the meaning of their own name and were sore losers.

Speaking at his annual news conference in Moscow, Russia’s president said that only Russia had believed that Trump would become the next president of the United States, but that did not mean the Democrats had the right to blame him for their defeat.

“The current administration and the leadership of the Democratic Party are trying to blame all their failures on external factors,” Putin told reporters.

“(We are talking about) a party which has clearly forgotten the original meaning of its own name,” Putin said, accusing the Democrats of “shamelessly” abusing their status as the ruling party to try to influence public opinion.

“Outstanding figures in American history from the ranks of the Democratic Party would likely be turning in their graves. Roosevelt certainly would be,” he said.

yahoo.com/news/putin-says-trumps-statement-nuclear-weapons-no-surprise-100313855.html

President Putin is 100% correct. He hits upon the obvious.

No doubt. His analysis is far better than the legions of cable-news partisans who try to blame “uneducated” and ignorant people for supporting Trump.

Yes, Putin is just who you want on your side.

No one said anything about wanting Putin “on your side.” Its a simple commentary about his reaction to the democrats’ 1001 reasons why HC lost what was supposed to be inevitable to someone who wasn’t supposed to have a snowball’s chance in hell. He is right.

Even people I don’t agree with or like can be right sometimes.

What was Hillary’s reset button all about if not improving relations with Russia?

Hillary would have dragged relations with Russia to a spectacular low I suspect had she won the race for president in your nation. I don’t agree with Trump on a vast number of subjects but the fact he refuses to keep painting Russia as a convenient black hat and wishes to try to engage with them in other ways is one point where I did agree with him.

Your bias is showing. :slight_smile:

I’m just curious why it was okay for Hillary to offer the reset button, but when Trump actually achieves it, he’s demonized.

There’s lot about Putin (and Trump) to disagree with, but to paint Trump as a KGB lover because Putin thinks the Dems are sore losers is a bit of a stretch.

Right. I am really surprised at this. Especially how accurate his remarks are. I think most of this is obvious to the unbiased. It intrigues me though - what is up with this Putin pro Trump gesture. I don’t trust Putin; I consider Western Europe to be our ally. Putin has wreaked havoc in the Middle East and Eastern Europe. He poses a threat to the interests of the US and our allies. But, at the same time, Russia has alerted us to terrorist threats. We are in a post cold war era - our relationship with Russia is complicated. I think Putin saw that Obama was in over his head; he can see that Trump has the backbone and stomach to lead the country. Is it out of the question for Russia to want a stronger, healthier US as part of the West? We are united in our opposition to ISIS, radical Islam; we have a shared Christian tradition (not that Putin or Trump care a fig about that in any meaningful sense). Perhaps Putin just wants worthy opponents. It reminds me of Reagan / Gorbachev, but I think we need to ‘verify’ this rapprochement at every turn. The UK is absolutely freaked out about it, for obvious reasons. They don’t trust or understand Trump. (or know anything about him for that matter) Putin reads Trump much better than anybody in Britain except Farage.

Keep your friends close,keep your enemies closer.:wink:

I think it is just possible that Putin is trying to save Mother Russia, AND Europe/US. Russia is part of Europe after all. Has been for centuries. Putin thinks he is for all intents and purposes the last competent leader in the world right now, including Europe or the US. He takes that responsibility as seriously as he does Mother Russia. It will be interesting to see how Trump fits into that picture. I think we need to take Putin seriously, as an enemy, but also beyond that as well. We look at him the same way many look at Trump, in the US and Europe. Paint a nasty over simplified caricature. We need to keep an eye on what Putin does as well as says of course. And not be afraid of him. I am ok with engaging him on a variety of issues, but I want Western Europe, especially Britain, on board, with us.

If at first you don’t succeed, whine, whine again.

Yes,the continued excuses for why such a deeply flawed candidate like HC didn’t win ,are pretty creative,that’s for sure.

I don’t think Putin trusted Obama and I don’t think he looked forward to working with Hillary. Perhaps he even sees her as untrustworthy. Maybe he thinks Donald Trump is a businessman and has done business around the world and he is a man of his word.

It is culturally based to a certain extent also, Obama was not disliked as such by most Russians I have encountered but he was regarded as somewhat of a weak leader who had been elected to a position beyond his ability level. Trump is seen as more of a ‘man’s man’ who is outspoken and although they may laugh at him at times the Russians see him as living up far more to the idea of what a man should be, firm, outspokenly proud of his country, quite strong-willed etc.

I agree.

Russian Pres. Putin used his annual news conference to laugh off accusations that Moscow hacked America’s elections. abcn.ws/2ilyajo

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.