Putting God to te Test

Scripture tells us not to put God to the test but if we do not put ‘something’ to the test, how can we be sure that ‘it’ is of God or of the devil since, accroding to scripture, Satan also comes as an angel of light?

I do not think we are supposed to “bargain” with God. As far as knowing the truth, I feel that if you are close to Jesus, that the Holy Spirit will enlighten you to the truth.

And how do we tell if that whisper is from God (Holy Spirit) or the evil one if we do not put it to the test?

[quote=Sir Knight]And how do we tell if that whisper is from God (Holy Spirit) or the evil one if we do not put it to the test?
[/quote]

It was Jesus himself who said “you shall not put the Lord, your God, to the test” (Matthew 4:7) when he spoke to the devil.
If you feel tempted to test God who do you think is prompting you? (not Jesus). You should pray, surrender youself completely to Jesus and trust in him. Pray for the Holy Spirit to come in to you and keep satan out.

Dear Sir Knight:

And how do we tell if that whisper is from God (Holy Spirit) or the evil one if we do not put **it **to the test?

I have the feeling you are thinking about the lawful testing of spirits, which is taught in the scriptures, but you inadvertently mis-worded it as testing God. May I direct you to something I just shared this morning with another member who is also trying to discern? Scroll to posts 14 and 15.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=80274

I am deeply edified by your devotion and hunger to follow the Lord, and I have every confidence that God will lead you on a sure path.

Carole

[quote=Sir Knight]Scripture tells us not to put God to the test but if we do not put ‘something’ to the test, how can we be sure that ‘it’ is of God or of the devil since, accroding to scripture, Satan also comes as an angel of light?
[/quote]

I was taught that coming from a charismatic background (catholic) that one of the gifts of the Spirit is right judgement. A person in whom the Spirit truly dwells would be able to know what is of him what is not of him. For example. My father was coming home late one night, this was just after his baptism in the Spirit I think, and he was having trouble with his keys. A feeling of trepidation entered him and the hairs on his neck stood straight. He looked over his shoulder and saw a woman floating without legs, without a face, glowing, her dress was white and billowing and what seemed to be fire flies floated in it. Now ordinarily he thought this might have been the blessed virgin but his heart was heavy and he knew what he was looking at was not of God. So he ran like a girl into the house.

When Jesus told Satan to not put God to the test, Jesus was saying to not try to back God into a corner by our actions in order force a desired result. For example, Scripture promises that God will take care of my needs. Does that mean that I can say, “Fine, God. Since you’ll take care of me, I’ll just stop going to work.”?

– Mark L. Chance.

There is a fundamental difference between putting God to the test, and testing whether things come from God. Consider:

“Lord, I believe you are calling me to the priesthood, but I do not wish to make such a drastic decision without further confirmation from you.” You are trying to seek out God, and this request is completely self giving and trying to discern God’s will. You are not testing God, but testing your own interpretation of his message.

as opposed to:

“God, if you really want me to stop sleeping with my girlfriend, let me win the lottery.” This is not directed to God. We already have reasonable knowledge to determine God doesn’t want us sleeping with our girlfriend. To require more of him for something he has already told us is putting him to the test.

In short: As what I’m requesting of God done because I don’t trust my own sinfulness and wrong judgement, or because I already know, I just need God to prove himself?

Josh

Malachi3;10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse,so that there may be food in my house, and" TEST" me now in this, says the Lord of hosts. Does God allow us to TEST Him? :confused: God Bless

I have found that generally you can tell a whisper is from the Holy Spirit and not a false angel of light by judging its fruits. Does the whisper nudge you toward a sinful action? Does it seem contrary to the faith? If it is hard to discern, then a prayer to God proclaiming your uncertainty and asking for further guidance is perfectly acceptable. You might try saying a Hail Mary and seeing if the nudge is still there also. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.