Putting off a vocation till later

I fell like God is calling me to the priesthood but at the same time fell like I'm being called to military service (USAF ). I am thinking of joining the airforce and serving for twenty years then retiring at 38 then go to seminary and God willing become a priest at 45 or go to seminary after high school and become a priest at 25 pastor for three years then sign up to be a military chaplain at 28 and serve twenty years. I am going to do one or the other. I don't know what God wants me to do please help. PS if I don't do the chaplain route I am considering being a UAV sensor operator (aims the camera and missles) though I wont be pushing the button I'll be guiding the missile to the target which might accidentally kill civilians in the blast is this permissible I mean there is a chance in all war civilians will be killed by mistake. I could use an opinion on that please.

[quote="Brockman1996, post:1, topic:309051"]
I fell like God is calling me to the priesthood but at the same time fell like I'm being called to military service (USAF ). I am thinking of joining the airforce and serving for twenty years then retiring at 38 then go to seminary and God willing become a priest at 45 or go to seminary after high school and become a priest at 25 pastor for three years then sign up to be a military chaplain at 28 and serve twenty years. I am going to do one or the other. I don't know what God wants me to do please help. PS if I don't do the chaplain route I am considering being a UAV sensor operator (aims the camera and missles) though I wont be pushing the button I'll be guiding the missile to the target which might accidentally kill civilians in the blast is this permissible I mean there is a chance in all war civilians will be killed by mistake. I could use an opinion on that please.

[/quote]

And what will you do if your bishop says you can't sign up to be a military chaplain? There are plenty of priests who have prior military experience; however, not 20 years worth. There are consequences to delaying a vocation unnecessarily. You should do whatever it is that is God's will for you. IMHO, I would talk to a vocations director.

I would follow my bishop’s decision. I have been thinking and I’ll follow God’s call for me and God willing enter seminary in a year and a half

Find a priest you trust as a spiritual director. Your OP sounded like you wanted God to follow your plan…here it sounds like you are more open to follow HIS. Please seek spiritual guidance.

Hold on a moment. Your profile says you aren’t even Catholic, yet. First take care of that. Then you can discern your vocation.

(normally, one must be a Catholic for at least a couple years before entering the seminary - that may be the ideal time to get the military bug out of your system ;))

How about joining and becoming a Chaplain Assistant. Here's the description from the website: Chaplain assistants facilitate the free exercise of religion for Airmen, their families, and other authorized personnel. They are assigned at all levels of command to facilitate spiritual care and ethical leadership. Chaplain assistants are vital to providing spiritual care and are exempt from performing additional duties or details that impede ministry accomplishment. The chaplain assistant specialty description is specified in AFI 36-2101, Classifying Military Personnel. It would give you a good idea if you like it and allow you to enter ministry much sooner than conversation, discernment, and then seminary.

On a more practical note, if God is calling you to ordained ministry it would be doubtful you would make it 20 years in the military or any other occupation. As we are told in Romans 11:29 - "For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable" and as such, whatever you try to do in place of God's Call will seem meaningless and hard to endure for any length of time.

Good luck.

[quote="Brockman1996, post:1, topic:309051"]

[/quote]

If you think you are called, you are called now not twenty years from now. If they accept you stay at least two or three years. If you do not find you have a vocation, you will still be young enough to go into the military. :thumbsup:

[quote="ChurchSoldier, post:6, topic:309051"]
How about joining and becoming a Chaplain Assistant. Here's the description from the website: Chaplain assistants facilitate the free exercise of religion for Airmen, their families, and other authorized personnel. They are assigned at all levels of command to facilitate spiritual care and ethical leadership. Chaplain assistants are vital to providing spiritual care and are exempt from performing additional duties or details that impede ministry accomplishment. The chaplain assistant specialty description is specified in AFI 36-2101, Classifying Military Personnel. It would give you a good idea if you like it and allow you to enter ministry much sooner than conversation, discernment, and then seminary.

[/quote]

One has to be careful with such positions to ensure they aren't required to do anything that would go against the Catholic faith (ie: assist homosexual "marriages", etc).

[quote="Deo_Gratias42, post:8, topic:309051"]
One has to be careful with such positions to ensure they aren't required to do anything that would go against the Catholic faith (ie: assist homosexual "marriages", etc).

[/quote]

I doubt it would be problematic. Assistants are not chaplains. They are soldiers who either accompany chaplains or assist them in other ways. They might lead a Communion service but that's about all.

Brother,

I thank you for your question and will also pray for you, but there is a way to be both Priest and Chaplain and not have to worry about a bishop turning you down (granted you are Catholic). The Archdiocese of Military Services can help you out, contact Father Kerry Abbot, he is the Vocations Director, go on a discernment retreat, if you still think its what God is calling you to do, then Fr Kerry can set you up with a Diocese that would be interested in Co-sponsorship. You'll do your seminary time, pre-theology, and then go to the diocese for 3 years as a Reserve Chaplain, switch to active duty after that. Most times the Bishop will let you stay if you feel it is what God is calling you too.

I only know about this route because I myself am discerning the Military Chaplaincy. I would also urge you not to put off a call, there are detriments to this particular path and can lead you to despair, pain and anguish (I'm speaking from the heart here.) Follow God, he'll always lead you in the right direction.

I hope this helps, may God bless you and Merry Christmas.

Dear Brockman,

Thank you for your sincere post. The biggest obstacle to knowing God's will is not doing what you already know. That said, yes, you should probably focus on

[LIST]
*]establishing a solid prayer life: daily prayer with Scripture or another spiritual book for at least 20 minutes/day
*]becoming Catholic and receiving the Sacraments regularly (Mass at least every week and Confession at least once a month)
*]bringing order to your daily routine and relationships
*]getting rid of any sins, vices, addictions, etc. that you may have
*]building up virtue
*]increasing your devotion to Mary
*]if possible, finding a competent spiritual director who is available to help you with this
[/LIST]

You'll be in my prayers.

God bless,

Fr. Scott, AVI
Apostles of the Interior Life

P.S. Killing (civilians or otherwise) by mistake is not a sin. Killing in war is justified in a just war if the action itself meets the criteria established by the tradition of the Church which you can google to find out.

for women there is an age cut off which is rediculous
God calls at any time and age.........why communities think they have the right to do this is beyond me.......I mean what if there was a cut off for being the pope....we,d never have one...so many mature women out there who feel called......so many vocat ions being denied
Just because of age............

it sounds like you have a bright future either way you go, good luck to you sir

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.