Quake swarm at Yellowstone may signal blast

Well, kids, if this happens, none of us are going to be worried too much about Bush, Obama, global warming, homosexuals, militant Islam, the bailout, the recession, Russia and Venezuela, Hamas, or just anything else…

Quake swarm at Yellowstone may signal blast

By Richard Brill

Jan 04, 2009

More than 250 small earthquakes occurred in Yellowstone Park between Dec. 26 and Monday.

Scientists wonder if last month’s swarm of tremors, the most numerous and intense in this area in many years, might be a harbinger of a larger event.

Yellowstone National Park sits atop a supervolcano. The entire park is the depression of a caldera more than twice the size of Oahu that is the result of an unimaginably large eruption some 600,000 years ago.

By comparison, the caldera left by the explosion of Mount Saint Helens in 1980 is about the size of downtown Honolulu.

starbulletin.com/news/20090104_Quake_swarm_at_Yellowstone_may_signal_blast.html

Here is the link:
starbulletin.com/news/20090104_Quake_swarm_at_Yellowstone_may_signal_blast.html

Do I have time to get there to set up my camera? :stuck_out_tongue:

God said, in Genesis, that He would never again allow man to perish in a flood… but He never said anything about a super-volcano exploding… Makes you wonder, doesn’t it…?

To see the latest earthquake stats go to USGS
at earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/

My favorite page:

earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.html

I wouldn’t go getting all freaked out about this Yellowstone caldera,…but I wouldn’t completely laugh it off either.

The park is one great big volcanic caldera and if there is a super-eruption, it won’t be pretty.

The History Channel and The Discovery Channel have aired documentaries about this Yellowstone supervolcano frequently over the past few years.

Very scary. If it does blow, all bets are off. It could kill off everybody in several states, from what I understand.

The History Channel has its annual Armaggeddon Week programming. The timing couldn’t have been more weird. Some of the stuff, like Nostradamus 2012 is downright freaky.

I wonder, though, if the volcanic ash will be just as harmful to the rest of the country.

I wonder if the ash could cause an “ash pneumonia” like some of the “dust pneumonia” cases during the 1930s?

I wonder, though, if something couldn’t be done to maximize the number of people that would survive such a cataclysm? Like, stockpiling food and medicine as part of a civil defense program? I know it probably wouldn’t save a majority of the survivors but it could help save more than what would have otherwise survived.

The biggest problem, and killer, would probably end up being the “volcanic winter” mentioned in the article. This could disrupt or prevent normal agriculture for the duration of the winter, which the article indicated would be “several years.” The ensuing starvation would kill most survivors.

I don’t think most could be saved, or even close, but this wouldn’t be the first supervolcanic eruption. So far, they haven’t wiped out all life on Earth, or human life. I wonder what a prepared, or even unprepared, technological civilization might be able to pull off.

Back in 1999, I kind of figured that the next date would be 2012. Granted, it does have several things going for it that 1999 didn’t (like economic analysts saying the economy could really tank between 2010 and 2012). The Mayans were, I think, very Greek-like in mathematics and patterns (there’s an economic theory newsletter that also speaks of patterns), which of course, one is 2012. Granted, I don’t think the world’s gonna end 2012 per say, but with the way the economy is, it certainly looks like something’s rumbling.

Here’s food for thought…

Before each major era in human history, there has been a dark ages, or some economic/political/geological crisis, followed by the rise of “barbarian” tribes (or dictorial empires). Around 1500BC, tin became scare (their “oil” of the day, I suppose - the price of wheat probably eventually went sky high without and efficient tools, not to mention it WAS the gold of their day), and the Santorini Volcano explosion around 1200BC was the last straw and the influence of Egypt, Greece and other nations shrank (Iron took the place of bronze at this time). “Barbarian” tribes using iron were starting to raid these countries, too. Then, the fall of Rome preceeded the rise of many smaller nation-states which was as the beginning of another “Dark Ages”. Industrialization brought about revolts that overthrew monarchies (and Napolean), and led up to WWI. Then the Great Depression preceeded WWII, of which came the age when nuclear power, computers, mass transportation made their entry onto the world stage.

Now, I did see one other article where it said the lava flow to the caldera may have been cut off since the lava temperature is cooler.

Regarding the economy has a precursor to major disaster, we have survived worse economic conditions than we are currently experiencing. Right now, it’s nothing compared to the Great Depression.

Even then, that is not a precursor in of itself to anything major.

As far as 2012, it would be foolish to say that is the date when the world is going to end (or have any major disaster on the level of Yellowstone, world wide flood aka Noah). Jesus himself said that no man knows the day or the hour, rather it be his return or an actual end of the world.

Aha…but we aren’t finished yet…according to Roubini:

Last year’s worst-case scenarios came true. The global financial pandemic that I and others had warned about is now upon us. But we are still only in the early stages of this crisis. My predictions for the coming year, unfortunately, are even more dire: The bubbles, and there were many, have only begun to burst.

foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=4591

One study predicts that half the U.S. could be covered in ash up to 3 feet deep. Earth could experience a “volcanic winter” with ash in the atmosphere keeping sunlight from reaching Earth’s surface for several years.

That’s a LOT of ash. But would that kind of ash be a good fertilizer? Also, you could borrow snow removal equipment to get rid of it if it happens during the summer.

This is all because of Bush and man-madeGlobal Warming would be blamed.

I lived in Yakima, Washingon when Mt. St. Helens erupted. Yakima was one of the worst hit areas of the eruption. The ash was devastating. I remember my Dad having to climb the roof in an attempt to get it off. I believe it was only a few inches but it coated absolutely everything, and killed many animals. My brother, who was a baby at the time, got very sick from the ash and almost died.
I can’t imagine what even one foot of ash would do!

Oh that would be awful, I suppose it would kill all the animals and probably the crops too :frowning: Hadn’t thought of that.

Yeah - it was really heavy but very fine. It would turn to basically like a cement when wet…I think with mt. St. Helens it started with a swarm of quakes too. Pretty creepy. Hopefully it’s just theoretical apocalyptic stuff!

Oh - but about the fertilizer, yeah, eventually it should be good for the ground, but I think it takes a while. “They” - the scientists - said the St. Helens area wouldn’t recover in our lifetimes but it is thriving and did so relatively soon after the eruption, so there you go I guess!

We are all in God’s hands.

Yikes. I guess we better be ready just in case this does happen and we go to meet our Lord. Of course, we should be ready at *all *times.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.