Qualifications for Godparents

Is there a good document I could go to for qualifications for godparents? I couldn’t find it in the CCC. My husband has heard that Catholics can not be godparents. I know that even goes against common sense, but I would like to show him something with authority telling the truth. He is protestant, I am former protestant. Thank you

[quote="Assisigirl, post:1, topic:315852"]
Is there a good document I could go to for qualifications for godparents? I couldn't find it in the CCC. My husband has heard that Catholics can not be godparents. I know that even goes against common sense, but I would like to show him something with authority telling the truth. He is protestant, I am former protestant. Thank you

[/quote]

Here are the requirements from canon law:

Can. 872 Insofar as possible, a person to be baptized is to be given a sponsor who assists an adult in Christian initiation or together with the parents presents an infant for baptism. A sponsor also helps the baptized person to lead a Christian life in keeping with baptism and to fulfill faithfully the obligations inherent in it.

Can. 873 There is to be only one male sponsor or one female sponsor or one of each.

Can. 874 §1. To be permitted to take on the function of sponsor a person must:

1/ be designated by the one to be baptized, by the parents or the person who takes their place, or in their absence by the pastor or minister and have the aptitude and intention of fulfilling this function;

2/ have completed the sixteenth year of age, unless the diocesan bishop has established another age, or the pastor or minister has granted an exception for a just cause;

3/ be a Catholic who has been confirmed and has already received the most holy sacrament of the Eucharist and who leads a life of faith in keeping with the function to be taken on;

4/ not be bound by any canonical penalty legitimately imposed or declared;

5/ not be the father or mother of the one to be baptized.

§2. A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic ecclesial community is not to participate except together with a Catholic sponsor and then only as a witness of the baptism.

Maybe he means that Catholics cannot be Godparents for babies being Baptized outside of the Church? (I’m actually not sure that is even true though, but it would make more sense.)

Call your local parish for their rules too.

We have had grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins. Only practicing Catholics.

The kid we had that has cousins as Godparents, that one we had to do in a parish that wasn’t our registered parish because our registered parish wants an age limit and the cousins were / are young (mid-teens).

Well, Canon Law says they have to be 16. Any younger than that and they are rarely ready to assume the responsibility that goes with being a godparent. Bishops can set an older age and Pastors may allow younger – though not all may be willing to do so.

Thank you all, I will show him this thread. He was watching a popular trivia show, and I really think he misheard the question. Anyway he will believe you more than me! And he is always ready to believe the unbelieveable about the Catholic Church. Before I joined the church I didn't understand the role of godparents either.

[quote="Assisigirl, post:1, topic:315852"]
Is there a good document I could go to for qualifications for godparents? I couldn't find it in the CCC. My husband has heard that Catholics can not be godparents. I know that even goes against common sense, but I would like to show him something with authority telling the truth. He is protestant, I am former protestant. Thank you

[/quote]

Catholics cannot be "godparents" (sponsors) for NON-Catholics. Is that perhaps what he was referring to?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.