Queen [Elizabeth] to visit Republic [of Ireland] by end of next year

How things have changed.......for some, anyway.

A visit by the Queen to the Irish Republic will probably happen before the end of next year, according to Irish prime minister Brian Cowen.

Mr Cowen's comments came after he met with his British counterpart David Cameron at Downing Street on Wednesday.

It is understood arrangements between officials in London and Dublin are currently being discussed.

It would be the first visit to the Republic by a British monarch since partition in 1921.

Mr Cowen said there was now no obstacle to the Queen coming to Ireland.

"I think that would be a good development," the taoiseach said.

"I think also that the importance of an exchange of state visits says a lot about the modern bilateral relationships we now have.

"We have started a process between both the prime ministers' offices whereby we can look at this prospect.

"I would like to see this happening during the tenure of our own president (Mary McAleese)."

SOURCE

An interesting development surely and, speaking as an Irishman I see no more problem with her visit than that of any other foreign head of state. May it be an opportunity for healing and forgiveness.

[quote="Theophorus, post:2, topic:203071"]
An interesting development surely and, speaking as an Irishman I see no more problem with her visit than that of any other foreign head of state. May it be an opportunity for healing and forgiveness.

[/quote]

I am republican so of course I am oppossed to this visit while Britain still illegiitimately occupies part of the state. I realise my view is a minority one though nowadays and the visit is likely to go ahead. I would urge no-one to attempt anything violent if it did even if they do disagree with it as I remember the ill-fated LoveUlster fisaco in Dublin when some unionists attempted to visit the city.

She's visited over 100 countries, but not one so close to Britain. I hope it goes well. Prince Charles has apparently visited, so maybe it will. Although, Sinn Féin is vowing to turn out its demonstrators if she visits Dublin.

It’s tragic that in Britain sectarianism is codified in law through
the Act of Settlement of 1701, which prevents Catholics or those
who marry Catholics from ascending to the throne. www.irishcatholic.ie/site/content/standing-catholics’-human-rights

[quote="Dpoc41, post:5, topic:203071"]
It’s tragic that in Britain sectarianism is codified in law through
the Act of Settlement of 1701, which prevents Catholics or those
who marry Catholics from ascending to the throne. www.irishcatholic.ie/site/content/standing-catholics’-human-rights

[/quote]

That has it's roots in British history and to be honest it is not a major concern for British Catholics, Been Irish and republican couldn't care less about it of course. To be honest many British Catholics are not even all that aware of this proviso though. In practical daily life it has nil impact. It is a law that dates from a certain point in British history full of turmoil and ill-feeling and has hung around ever since.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.