Queen of the Universe?

Hello eavryone. I have run up against something and would like some advice. It is on Mary. How would one show that the various titles of Mary are not pagen? Reason I ask was that a Lady was telling me about Mary being “Queen of the Universe” (A title I havn’t ever heard of before. Can anyone give me additional info. on this to please?) and that is also the title of Astera (Sp?) a Pagen Godess and that her and the Catholic Mary share many of the shame things and that we have created Jesus into a small more managable child. And Help? Thanks and God bless.

in revelation, did not the woman have a crown and the moon at her feet?
Now, this woman is Mary, and we already know she’s queen by default since Jesus is King (the mother of the King is always the Queen).

[quote=Montie Claunch]Hello eavryone. I have run up against something and would like some advice. It is on Mary. How would one show that the various titles of Mary are not pagen? Reason I ask was that a Lady was telling me about Mary being “Queen of the Universe” (A title I havn’t ever heard of before. Can anyone give me additional info. on this to please?) and that is also the title of Astera (Sp?) a Pagen Godess and that her and the Catholic Mary share many of the shame things and that we have created Jesus into a small more managable child. And Help? Thanks and God bless.
[/quote]

Astarte and Mary do seem very alike, in many ways - but this is not the fatal objection some think :slight_smile: - because it is perfectly possible that Astarte, and all other goddesses, were anticipations of Mary :smiley: - and now we have her Son & LORD, we have her: He is Lord of all creation - so there is room (as it were) for her to be Queen of the Universe.

It is important to remember that her Queenship is dependent upon His Kingship: there might conceivably be a salvation without a Mary, but there could not be a salvation without a Jesus Christ. So their positions are not symmetrical: He needs nothing, for His Love is the Source of every living thing, of all things - without Him, neither she nor we could exist. So His Kingship is infinite, boundless, absolute, eternal, nothing but endlessly creative Love - but hers had a beginning. So they differ in some all-important ways - she is unceasingly a creature, yet as unceasingly a Queen :slight_smile: ##

Just for reference, the false “queen of heaven” is mentioned in Jeremiah 7:18; 44:17-19, 25.

[quote=Montie Claunch]Hello eavryone. I have run up against something and would like some advice. It is on Mary. How would one show that the various titles of Mary are not pagen? Reason I ask was that a Lady was telling me about Mary being “Queen of the Universe” (A title I havn’t ever heard of before. Can anyone give me additional info. on this to please?) and that is also the title of Astera (Sp?) a Pagen Godess and that her and the Catholic Mary share many of the shame things and that we have created Jesus into a small more managable child. And Help? Thanks and God bless.
[/quote]

Take a look at this for example;

When Mary was assumed into heaven, she was made queen of angels, and of men. Also, She is rightfully queen of the heavens,
and the earth. As for “Astera” having something in common with Mary, I do not think so. Astera is a pagan goddess correct? Mary is the mother of the Word Incarnate, her giving birth to Christ was foretold, was anything foretold about Astera? Not that I’ve ever heard. Astera is fiction, Mary is not. Mary was immaculately conceived, Astera was not. I disagree that they share anything in
common. Mary is the ever true Virgin Mother of Christ, and she is queen of heaven and earth, Astera is not.

All of Mary’s titles are true only because of her relationship to Christ Jesus. He is the King of the Universe. Mary is his mother. The mother of a king is a queen. Therefore, Mary is the Queen of the Universe by virtue of her relationship to her son.

– Mark L. Chance.

I am protestant and I simply don’t see the connection between astare and Mary.

(Edited out full qoute of article since link is provided as per Forum Rules)

jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=2048&letter=A&search=Astarte

As I understand it Mary stands for being a virgin, whereas, astarte is the opposite of being a virgin.

[quote=Superstar905]in revelation, did not the woman have a crown and the moon at her feet?
Now, this woman is Mary, and we already know she’s queen by default since Jesus is King (the mother of the King is always the Queen).
[/quote]

Actually, the title “Queen” is never given to a King’s mother. The spouse of the King is the Queen. The King’s mother is referred to simply as the “King’s Mother”.

Referring to Mary as “Queen of Heaven” infers that she is married to Jesus. As one member of the Body of Christ, she is also mystically His Bride, but as an individual, she is not Jesus’ spouse, she was Joseph’s spouse.

David

[quote=DavidB]Actually, the title “Queen” is never given to a King’s mother. The spouse
[/quote]

of the King is the Queen. The King’s mother is referred to simply as the “King’s Mother”.

Referring to Mary as “Queen of Heaven” infers that she is married to Jesus. As one member of the Body of Christ, she is also mystically His Bride, but as an individual, she is not Jesus’ spouse, she was Joseph’s spouse.

DavidThis is completely wrong from the Davidic kings of Israel, beginning with Solomon. Research the Hebrew term “Giberah” (Queen Mother) and you’ll see that their wives were never the Queens. Jesus is messianic king in the line of David. Is Mary’s Queenship Biblical and CRI’s Attack on Mary: Part V (Queen of Heaven).
Pax vobiscum,

[quote=Church Militant]This is completely wrong from the Davidic kings of Israel, beginning with Solomon. Research the Hebrew term “Giberah” (Queen Mother) and you’ll see that their wives were never the Queens. Jesus is messianic king in the line of David. Is Mary’s Queenship Biblical and CRI’s Attack on Mary: Part V (Queen of Heaven).
Pax vobiscum,
[/quote]

Yep, you’re right, I’m wrong. I posted my response based on European royalty, but as I was checking back into it, I spotted the Davidic Kingdom royal titles and was just returning here to delete my post, but it was too late. Please ignore it.

David

[quote=DavidB]Yep, you’re right, I’m wrong. I posted my response based on European royalty, but as I was checking back into it, I spotted the Davidic Kingdom royal titles and was just returning here to delete my post, but it was too late. Please ignore it.

David
[/quote]

:thumbsup: God bless ya David!

There is a huge shrine called Mary, Queen of the Universe in Orlando, Florida.

The argument that marian titles are Pagan is bogus.

Why?

Because the same people who try to use the argument of comparing Mary’s titles with those of Pagan Gods, reject the same arguments when applied to Jesus by non-Christians.

You can go out and find dozens of new-age, atheist, and other writings - like the Da Vinci Code, that will tell you that Jesus is a pagan God in disguise. They will point to the titles Lord, and King of Kings being used by Pagan Gods. They will say Dionysius, Osiris and other Pagan gods came to earth, born of women and died for mankind. Jesus is just a copy of these, they will say.

Protestants will reject these arguments for the nonsense they are, but some will then dishonestly proceed to try to use the exact same arguments against Mary! here again they lose all credibility and honesty.

[quote=KJV]Revelation 12
1And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars:

2And she being with child cried, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered.
[/quote]

I have heard the arguments regarding this woman being Mary as she gives birth to Jesus. This seems a bit simplistic to me. Especially since she does have the crown with twelve stars on her head. My thoughts and the thoughts of those I have talked to are that this woman is actually the Jewish race. The crown of twelve stars represents the twelve tribes of Israel. Since the Jewish race is the race that Jesus was BORN of that would be the woman who gave birth to the man child.

[quote=Axion]Because the same people who try to use the argument of comparing Mary’s titles with those of Pagan Gods, reject the same arguments when applied to Jesus by non-Christians.
You can go out and find dozens of new-age, atheist, and other writings - like the Da Vinci Code, that will tell you that Jesus is a pagan God in disguise. They will point to the titles Lord, and King of Kings being used by Pagan Gods. They will say Dionysius, Osiris and other Pagan gods came to earth, born of women and died for mankind. Jesus is just a copy of these, they will say.Protestants will reject these arguments for the nonsense they are, but some will then dishonestly proceed to try to use the exact same arguments against Mary! here again they lose all credibility and honesty.
[/quote]

What are these similarites of Jesus and heathens? Could you give some concreate examples? This is news to me. Thanks and God bless.

As one member of the Body of Christ, she is also mystically His Bride, but as an individual, she is not Jesus’ spouse, she was Joseph’s spouse.

True, but even in a special way she is His Spiritual Bride not only as one member of His Mystical Body…but as the Image and Pre-eminent member of that Mystical Body. The Church is the Bride of Christ, and Mary especially typifies and embodies the Church.

Mary is the Daughter of the Father. She is also the Mother of the Son, and a sister human being to him in his humanity. And she is the Perfect Creature of grace by the Holy Spirit. But she is the Bride of all three persons. Wife of the Father because she is the mother of his son. Of the Son she is Spiritual Bride, as explained. And of the Holy Spirit because he concieved in her womb, she is called Spouse.

Mary is totally immersed in the Divine Life and relationship with the Divine.

[quote=Singinbeauty]I have heard the arguments regarding this woman being Mary as she gives birth to Jesus. This seems a bit simplistic to me. Especially since she does have the crown with twelve stars on her head. My thoughts and the thoughts of those I have talked to are that this woman is actually the Jewish race. The crown of twelve stars represents the twelve tribes of Israel. Since the Jewish race is the race that Jesus was BORN of that would be the woman who gave birth to the man child.
[/quote]

Footnotes in the Catholic New American Bible agrees with you not even mentioning the idea that it could be Mary.

David

[quote=Singinbeauty]I have heard the arguments regarding this woman being Mary as she gives birth to Jesus. This seems a bit simplistic to me.
[/quote]

Simplistic is thinking that symbols in literature lend themselves only only to a single meaning.

– Mark L. Chance.

[quote=PiusXIII]There is a huge shrine called Mary, Queen of the Universe in Orlando, Florida.
[/quote]

That shrine was also desecrated by Protestants in a manner similar to that of the Fatima shrine;

fbsynod.org/Web/OffBishop/InstallERB/Pictures.html

[quote=EddieArent]That shrine was also desecrated by Protestants in a manner similar to that of the Fatima shrine;

fbsynod.org/Web/OffBishop/InstallERB/Pictures.html
[/quote]

Wow. I would have thought Lutherans would have a big problem with any church with the name Mary, Queen of the Universe.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.