Query about reply from Jesus in Mark 10:18 and Luke 18:19

Can someone explain these verses because I have to admit I am confused about them.

Luke 18
{18:18} And a certain ruler asked him, saying: Good master, what shall I do to possess everlasting life?
{18:19} And Jesus said to him: Why dost thou call me good? None is good but God alone.
{18:20} Thou knowest the commandments: Thou shalt not kill. Thou shalt not commit adultery: Thou shalt not steal: Thou shalt not bear false witness: Honour thy father and mother.
{18:21} Who said: All these things have I kept from my youth.
{18:22} Which when Jesus had heard, he said to him: Yet one thing is wanting to thee. Sell all whatever thou hast and give to the poor: and thou shalt have treasure in heaven. And come, follow me.

Mark 10
{10:17} And when he was gone forth into the way, a certain man, running up and kneeling before him, asked him: Good Master, what shall I do that I may receive life everlasting?
{10:18} And Jesus said to him: Why callest thou me good? None is good but one, that is God.
{10:19} Thou knowest the commandments: Do not commit adultery, do not kill, do not steal, bear not false witness, do no fraud, honour thy father and mother.

I looked up this link but could someone explain differently.

The way I see it, the rich man didnt realize who he was talking to and came to Jesus because he thought he was in a position to “buy” a spot in Heaven, he was calling Jesus “Good” as a title enhancer (eg as if speaking to a boss to earn brownie points) but in his heart he didnt see Jesus as God and wasnt willing to part with his money.

You could be on the right track here. However, when I read the Gospels I don’t think that any of the crowds or even the apostles knew Jesus was God until after the Ressurrection. St. Peter knew he was the Messiah, but not God the Son, until after. Otherwise why didn’t the apostles and crowds and the Pharisees who believed in His divinity pray to Him and worship Him more explicitly.

Yes, this is also correct, Jesus didnt come to “be served, but to serve” (Mk 10:45). He took the role of a servant and wanted to keep their focus on God the Father for the time (Phil 2:5-11).

Keep in mind that Jesus was as human as you or I, and had divine knowledge of us simultaneously.

He knew the man did not see him as God, merely someone to suck up to. He was calling on him to truly think about what “good” means.

I agree with all of you and add that in each case Jesus was dealing with an individual, and He knew their “hearts” or their personal barriers to faith. For example in other verses the man He spoke with said he had to bury his father first, (we all have excuses). He told them to get rid of that first and come to the Father. He knows each of us as individuals too and speaks to us today in many ways asking us to put aside what we have that keeps from a more intimate relationship with Him. We can choose to follow His advice or not.

God is Great, and Loving too!

That is a great point…I have never thought of it that way before. That particular verse has always struck me as very bracing and nearly as clear a refutation of the Buddy Christ view as the Lord fashioning a whip and driving the moneylenders from the Temple.

As C.S. Lewis analogized, “He is not a tame lion.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.