Query; Would A Venial Sin Disqualify You From Receiving Holy Communion?

I'm speaking here about Venial Sins that one has sought sacramental confession in the past and through human weakness one finds themselves having repeated the same venial sin again. And by this I mean you feel guilt and remorse having offended God and don't feel as though you are graced enough for reception of Holy Communion perhaps through shame.

Appreciate some insight on this. Thank You in advance.

Yours Fraternally in Christ Jesus
Chris

[quote="centurionguard, post:1, topic:302711"]
I'm speaking here about Venial Sins that one has sought sacramental confession in the past and through human weakness one finds themselves having repeated the same venial sin again. And by this I mean you feel guilt and remorse having offended God and don't feel as though you are graced enough for reception of Holy Communion perhaps through shame.

Chris

[/quote]

Venial sins do not disqualify you from receiving Eucharist.

CCC 1416 Communion with the Body and Blood of Christ increases the communicant's union with the Lord, forgives his venial sins, and preserves him from grave sins. Since receiving this sacrament strengthens the bonds of charity between the communicant and Christ, it also reinforces the unity of the Church as the Mystical Body of Christ.

Still confess them when you go to confession, but they do not prevent you from receiving.

Thank you for the input and I read this before. And forgive my having difficulty articulating myself. But here I speaking about venial sins that one has repeated before in the past. Like you’ve fallen into the same sin again likely through no# 1 pride or some stupid reason you find yourself repeating the same sin.

Any venial sin can be repeated sometimes over and over again.
But all a sudden before Holy Communion your senses become aware that you have offended God again and you don’t feel right about yourself. Due to guilt one refrains from going to Holy Communion because they feel inwardly the shame of that sinful guilt.

Sorry if I sound like I’m repeating myself. I’ve read of some Saints who written similar instances. Not that I’m anywhere remotely a saint. Perhaps its a mental block or something. Hard to articulate.

I know that sometimes accumulated venial sins can lead to a Mortal Sin.

No it doesn't and when we receive the Blessed Sacrament our venial sins are remitted so even if you receive It with venial sins you are forgiven of them when you consume the Host.

Back before Vatican II in the latin mass they used to recite the Confiteor Deo or the "Act of Contrition" before you received the Host, so this helped and remitted your venial sins so if you were slightly blemished with sin before receiving, you would be prepared once you went to the altar rail. its one of the things i love about Latin Mass.

[quote="centurionguard, post:3, topic:302711"]
Thank you for the input and I read this before. And forgive my having difficulty articulating myself. But here I speaking about venial sins that one has repeated before in the past. Like you've fallen into the same sin again likely through no# 1 pride or some stupid reason you find yourself repeating the same sin.

But all a sudden before Holy Communion your senses become aware that you have offended God again and you don't feel right about yourself. Due to guilt one refrains from going to Holy Communion because they feel inwardly the shame of that sinful guilt.

Sorry if I sound like I'm repeating myself. I've read of some Saints who written similar instances. Not that I'm anywhere remotely a saint. Perhaps its a mental block or something. Hard to articulate.

[/quote]

Centurion G, during the Penitential Rite at Mass,when the Priest exhorts us to prepare to worship God by recalling our sins,repenting of them ,and asking for God's mercy. for your repeated venial sins , ask God to give you the grace needed to believe he has forgiven you then and there. If you continue to be plagued with them lift them up to Jesus in reparation for all sinners who suffer so.
I hope this will help.Peace, Carlan

[quote="centurionguard, post:1, topic:302711"]

Chris

[/quote]

No, the General Confeitor covers this type of sin. "Through my fault, through my fault, through my most greivous fault," remember? Do not deprive yourself of the Eucharist unnecessarily, it will help you combat temptation.

[quote="centurionguard, post:3, topic:302711"]
Thank you for the input and I read this before. And forgive my having difficulty articulating myself. But here I speaking about venial sins that one has repeated before in the past. Like you've fallen into the same sin again likely through no# 1 pride or some stupid reason you find yourself repeating the same sin.

But all a sudden before Holy Communion your senses become aware that you have offended God again and you don't feel right about yourself. Due to guilt one refrains from going to Holy Communion because they feel inwardly the shame of that sinful guilt.

Sorry if I sound like I'm repeating myself. I've read of some Saints who written similar instances. Not that I'm anywhere remotely a saint. Perhaps its a mental block or something. Hard to articulate.

[/quote]

All sins can separate us from God. We should, therefore, seek to confess all our sins even venial ones. However, venial sins do not prevent us from receiving the Eucharist. Repetition of the same venial sin can be an issue that we need to overcome. But, no matter how many times we commit a venial sin it does not become multiplied by its repetition into a mortal sin.

no, a venial sin does not disqualify yuo from recieving holy communion.
also your venial sins are forgiven during the penitential rite.
:)

My sincere appreciation to all who have given good replies. You’ve helped me consider this more wisely in my forgetfulness.

Many Thanks Again.

Yours Fraternally in Christ Jesus.
Chris

If venial sins kept you from receiving Communion I wouldn't be able to receive Communion each and every day as I am a long way away from being perfect -- I do try to go to Mass daily so that Jesus is with me at all times during my very lonely day.

If your not remotely a saint…need to go to confession :slight_smile:

CCC:

823 "The Church . . . is held, as a matter of faith, to be unfailingly holy. This is because Christ, the Son of God, who with the Father and the Spirit is hailed as ‘alone holy,’ loved the Church as his Bride, giving himself up for her so as to sanctify her; he joined her to himself as his body and endowed her with the gift of the Holy Spirit for the glory of God."289 The Church, then, is "the holy People of God,"290 and her members are called “saints.”

Pope Benedict XVI:

“In his First Letter to the Corinthians, St Paul addresses “those sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints together with all those who in every place call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ” (I Cor 1: 2). Indeed, Christians are already saints because Baptism unites them to Jesus and to his Paschal Mystery, but at the same time they must* become* so by conforming themselves every more closely to him”

“Sometimes, people think that holiness is a privileged condition reserved for the few elect. Actually, becoming holy is every Christian’s task, indeed, we could say, every person’s! The Apostle writes that God has always blessed us and has chosen us in Christ “that we should be holy and blameless before him… in love” (Eph 1: 3-5). … The “Way” is Christ, the Son, the Holy One of God: “no one comes to the Father but by me [Jesus]” (cf. Jn 14: 6).”

vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/angelus/2007/documents/hf_ben-xvi_ang_20071101_all-saints_en.html

As to repeated venial sins…yes such can be the struggle of the Christian --seek more and more to struggle particularly against the more deliberate ones.

But no they do not keep one from Holy Communion.

And PS Venial sins can be forgiven in many ways…

Keep turning to Christ

¨Then he took a cup, gave thanks,%between% and gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you, %between% for this is my blood of the covenant, which will be shed on behalf of many for the forgiveness of sins
Matthew 26:27-28

[quote="Matthew_Holford, post:7, topic:302711"]
All sins can separate us from God. We should, therefore, seek to confess all our sins even venial ones. However, venial sins do not prevent us from receiving the Eucharist. Repetition of the same venial sin can be an issue that we need to overcome. But, no matter how many times we commit a venial sin it does not become multiplied by its repetition into a mortal sin.

[/quote]

That is not correct. Venial sins do not and cannot separate us from God. Only mortal sins do that.

CCC 1863 Venial sin weakens charity; it manifests a disordered affection for created goods; it impedes the soul's progress in the exercise of the virtues and the practice of the moral good; it merits temporal punishment. Deliberate and unrepented venial sin disposes us little by little to commit mortal sin. However venial sin does not break the covenant with God. With God's grace it is humanly reparable. "Venial sin does not deprive the sinner of sanctifying grace, friendship with God, charity, and consequently eternal happiness."

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.