Question about 1 Timothy 6

Wouldn’t this be saying something against going to college, especially a secular college, in pursuit of a career? I have also stopped going to school because of my fear of losing my faith, and there have been instances where I almost did. I guess I’m just struggling to see whether or not I made the right decision. I really want to be able to go back and become a school counselor to help those with psychological problems and help them to have more healthier and normal lives, but a big part of it also is because I want to be able to make a living and be able to do things my way and serve God my way.

False Teachers and the Love of Money

These are the things you are to teach and insist on. 3 If anyone teaches otherwise and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, 4 they are conceited and understand nothing. They have an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions 5 and constant friction between people of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain.

6 But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. 8 But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. 9 Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

. . . :bible1: . . .
Carefully study to present thyself
approved unto
**God, **
a workman that needeth not to be ashamed,
rightly handling the word of truth.
- 2 Timothy 2:15

+Perhaps the only . . . *practical *. . . FAITH building . . . way to approach the goal of becoming a school counselor as a Catholic Christian to minister to kids . . . might be to seriously consider looking into attending a sound Catholic school such as the . . . Franciscan University of Steubenville . . . which is a private and coeducational Catholic University located in Steubenville, Ohio, 40 miles (64 km) west of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

:compcoff: Link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franciscan_University_of_Steubenville

EWTN has had several Presidents, Chancellor’s, etc. from sound Catholic Christian colleges 'round about the nation also . . . and you could contact them for a list of recommendations . . . Father Mitch Pacwa might be an excellent person to contact since he now has done several interviews with Catholic college and university personnel for several years now . . . and all such institutions have all kinds of grants and financial aid and loan programs which can be very helpful in defraying costs . . .

:compcoff: Link: fathermitchpacwa@ewtn.com

Going to a Catholic school can certainly lessen to a considerable degree the possibility of false information being force fed to you in a secular environment’s curriculum . . . however . . . you will find many “theories” in the field of psychology may need to be learned even though you may realize that from a Christian perspective they are unsound . . .

It can be helpful to know about these supposed “alternate” theories of life in order to understand the full range of your field . . . even though they don’t agree with the Christian perspective . . . and it can be helpful order to seek out Godly perspectives and answers rather than automatically accepting that which clearly is not of the LORD . . .

Also . . . online courses from Catholic colleges are also available and might be a viable alternative . . . though whether they offer an undergraduate degree is something to look into . . .
God bless on your search . . . *

[RIGHT]. . . all for Jesus+[/RIGHT]

One may yes seek out a good education…and then serve others.

But I recommend seeking it out at Catholic College faithful to the Church - such as Steubenville etc

Hi!

…there is a distinct path to which Christians must adhere.

…however, Christ did not pray to the Father that He should remove His Disciples from the world but that He protect them from the world…

…when I was in high school I though about the performing arts… I thought that it would be a fantastic career… soon after I started noticing that the field of performing arts had embraced the homosexuality (not just art portraying life); then I was part of an exchange where it was made abundantly clear that promiscuity (sexuality as currency) was practiced at all levels and required “acceptance,” of all practices/appetites.

Then and there I determined that the “performing arts” were not for me.

I made this determination not because I judged myself better than anyone else; I did it because I refuse to engage such lifestyle.

You must make a similar choice… do you engage the secular? Is there a Catholic/Christian environment where you can get similar, if not a better education?

I think that one of the things you should do is seek the advise of those who are practicing in your field of interest and are devote Christians. They may be able to help you determine how to achieve your goal without succumbing to secular values.

…as for your Faith… man cannot take it from you… but remember that the chain is only as strong as its weakest link… while it is right that you should be weary about not embracing secularism, you must also grow in Faith; you must Know God through an intimate relationship with Him: Bible study, prayer, the Sacraments… make it a point to not miss Sunday Mass and to Receive the Eucharist every time you go to Mass–if possible attend Mass daily. Study your Faith: Sacred Scriptures, Church Writings, etc.

Maran atha!

Angel

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.