Question about a new Carmel

A new Carmel of Jesus, Mary and Joseph was recently opened very near to where live and, as I would like to support them but don't know too much about how the Carmels work, I was wondering two things.

Generally speaking, would their chapel (or any part of the Carmel) be open to the public?

And secondly, would there be any volunteer type of opportunities to help support the Carmel?

I know no one will have knowledge of this Carmel specifically, but I want to know if generally these kinds of things are done, or if I'm way off base. In other words I'm trying to find out to what extent (if any) a member of the public can be involved with a Carmel.

Thanks for your help, and I'm sorry if this is a stupid question :o

[quote="McCall1981, post:1, topic:294010"]
A new Carmel of Jesus, Mary and Joseph was recently opened very near to where live and, as I would like to support them but don't know too much about how the Carmels work, I was wondering two things.

Generally speaking, would their chapel (or any part of the Carmel) be open to the public?

And secondly, would there be any volunteer type of opportunities to help support the Carmel?

I know no one will have knowledge of this Carmel specifically, but I want to know if generally these kinds of things are done, or if I'm way off base. In other words I'm trying to find out to what extent (if any) a member of the public can be involved with a Carmel.

Thanks for your help, and I'm sorry if this is a stupid question :o

[/quote]

You'd be more than welcome to ask the nuns how you could help out. They keep a running list of volunteers, usually third order members, but that wouldn't be particularly necessary.

Just be sure to ask!

Blessings,
Cloisters

I must be dyslexic: I thought this was about a new camel!:D

How lucky you are! Yes, definitely inquire further.

What is a new Carmel? Has this some arcane meaning known only to young computer users? I thought I also looked up the term on both Bing and Google. All I could find out was that Carmel is a variation of Caramel, which is a candy made from melted sugar and butter. It also is the name of several towns in the US....and then there is Our Lady of Mt. Carmel! I thought I was fairly knowledgable when it came to Roman Catholic terminology, but I came up short here.
So, clue me in. What, on earth, is a new Carmel?

[quote="George_Stegmeir, post:5, topic:294010"]
What is a new Carmel? Has this some arcane meaning known only to young computer users? I thought I also looked up the term on both Bing and Google. All I could find out was that Carmel is a variation of Caramel, which is a candy made from melted sugar and butter. It also is the name of several towns in the US....and then there is Our Lady of Mt. Carmel! I thought I was fairly knowledgable when it came to Roman Catholic terminology, but I came up short here.

[/quote]

I'm sorry if that is the wrong term, as I said in my original post I'm not very knowledgable about such things. I've heard my Parish Priest and RCIA director call it the new "Carmel". Maybe it should be new "Carmelite House"...

[quote="McCall1981, post:6, topic:294010"]
I'm sorry if that is the wrong term, as I said in my original post I'm not very knowledgable about such things. I've heard my Parish Priest and RCIA director call it the new "Carmel". Maybe it should be new "Carmelite House"...

[/quote]

I live near a monestary and their chapel is open during the day. They always need volunteers to to a number of things and their mass is open too.

Discalced or O.Carm, the Carmelites are fantastic. Enjoy them.

[quote="George_Stegmeir, post:5, topic:294010"]

[/quote]

A "new Carmel" is the foundation of a new monastery of either the Discalced Carmelites (O.C.D.) or the Carmelites of the Ancient Observance (O. Carm.). In this case it's a monastery of cloistered Carmelite nuns. The Carmelites were founded on Mt. Carmel in the Holy Land in the 1200's and eventually split into two separate Orders in the 1500's. Some famous Carmelite Saints are St. Teresa of Jesus, St. John of the Cross and St. Therese of Lisieux (the "Little Flower").

Did not you mean St. Teresa of Avila?

:DThe two questions about the new Carmel were hilarious and I was rolling laughing. So, thank you. And thanks to the person who clarified it for you. I was going to, but there is now no need.

[quote="pangaious, post:10, topic:294010"]
Did not you mean St. Teresa of Avila?

[/quote]

:) "of Jesus" is her religious name; "of Avila" identifies where she's from.

Oh, thank you very much for the clarification. Yes. And the Carmelites are indeed wonderful!

:thumbsup:

Praised be Jesus Christ! You could contact Lee Gilbert, the father of one of the nuns who recently visited there, to ask about this.

Here is the latest from him, cal-catholic.com/wordpress/2012/07/30/new-carmelite-house/#comment-4291

And here is one of his blogs, theyhwhwars.blogspot.com/

[quote="LaudemGloriae, post:15, topic:294010"]
Praised be Jesus Christ! You could contact Lee Gilbert, the father of one of the nuns who recently visited there, to ask about this.

Here is the latest from him, cal-catholic.com/wordpress/2012/07/30/new-carmelite-house/#comment-4291

And here is one of his blogs, theyhwhwars.blogspot.com/

[/quote]

Thanks so much for this info! I'll definitely contact him.

I've contacted the Diocese and I'm going to be able to volunteer there, but I haven't been able to work out the details yet. Since they are in process of moving in and the facilities are being rearranged, I imagine they could use some help.

I want to be helpful without infringing on their privacy :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.