Question about a particular section of Canon Law regarding confession

So I was reading canon law a little while ago and I noticed something that I found rather disturbing, in honesty.

“Can. 977 The absolution of an accomplice in a sin against the sixth commandment of the Decalogue is invalid except in danger of death.”

Why can’t this sin be forgiven unless you are about to die? Can anybody explain this? It seems rather contradictory since any sin can be forgiven, even murder, sacrilige or blasphemy, providing the one confessing is repentant. How come this one can’t be forgiven?

It means that if a priest committed a sin against the sixth commandment with someone, that person cannot go to that same priest and confess and receive absolution for that sin. That person is considered the accomplice in the sin.

It does not mean that sin cannot be absolved and forgiven, just not by the priest the act was committed with.

If a priest has an affair, he cannot serve as confessor to the other person involved. The other person (and indeed the priest as well), could and should confess to another priest.

Otherwise, the non-priest member of this affair risks getting the bad advice that the affair is “OK” so long as the priests gives her absolution following whatever sexual act is involved. This equally applies if the other partner is male.

Requiring the other party to seek confession elsewhere increases the odds she/he will be advised to break off the affair.

OOOOOOOooooooooh! I completely misunderstood! :rofl: Thanks for the clarification.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.