Question about a saying

hello all,

as i were recalling some thoughts from my childhood, particularly the sayings of Jesus, i remembered one that goes along the lines of : Everything that has a false beginning, is always false.
Like if He was enlightening to us the False Premise analogy, in logic.
I need to be sure if Jesus did indeed talk about that, and what verses in the bible do cover it.
Thank you

The one that comes first to my mind is:
“By their fruits you will know them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Just so, every good tree bears good fruit, and a rotten tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a rotten tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire. So by their fruits you will know them.”
[Mt 7:16-20]

The only thing I can think of is from John 8,

Jesus then said to the Jews who had believed in him, “If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples, 32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.” 33 They answered him, “We are descendants of Abraham, and have never been in bondage to any one. How is it that you say, ‘You will be made free’?” 34 Jesus answered them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, every one who commits sin is a slave to sin. 35 The slave does not continue in the house for ever; the son continues for ever. 36 So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.

compared with these verses further on

44 You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks according to his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

thank you

but i do remember something more precise, like ‘anything that is built on falsehood is falsehood’ or some verse close to that

i appreciate any additional inputs!

Are you sure it is a saying of Jesus? This sounds like something from the old testament in the psalms or proverbs or one of the prophets.

not sure if it was Jesus in person, yet i’m totally sure that it came to me out of the bible

I can’t think of anything exactly like this statement. To me it sounds like a paraphrase of a Johannine dualistic statement. I would read through the gospel of John and his epistles to see if I could find a phrase that could be taken to mean the phrase in question.

its very likely to be paraphrased, however i would really appreciate if u could find for me its roots or resemblance in the Bible,
thank you

I can assure you Jesus never used the terminology you suggest. And I doubt if you will find them in the O.T., but perhaps in Ecclesiasticus or Proverbs. Searching is your job, it was your question. I would start with Ecclesiasticus.:hmmm:

Sorry, paraphrase was the wrong word. I meant to say it sounds like an exposition by a theologian on some passage from John. I was specifically thinking of this passage [BIBLEDRB]John 8:44-45[/BIBLEDRB] but I am just not well enough read on the fathers to make an informed guess as to what passage this might come from. BTW, it still sounds like some sort of John quote to me, but I didn’t see anything that really says this in either the Gospel or 1-3 John.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.