Question about Act of Contrition

I’m not sure if this is the right forum to ask this but anyways

The simplest definition of God that can be found is God is Love, correct?
And if God is Love and as St Paul points out in 1 Corinthians 13: “Love does not take offense at wrongdoings, but rejoices with the truth…”

Then therefore logically God does not take offense at our sins because God is Love

How then does the standard Act of Contrition make sense?
“Oh my God I am heavily sorry for having offended Thee…”

Please note I am not saying we shouldnt be contrite because we should, I am just wondering how this is supposed to make sense since God is Love…perhaps this one should be revised?

Your brother in Christ
Zachary

At the risk of getting into pure semantics…it seems to me that it isn’t the same for us to feel we offended Him, as it is for Him to “take offense at wrongdoings”. In other words, you can feel you insult me [by something you said], but maybe I did not take it as an insult…as in “no insult taken”…
Does it make sense to you?

All scripture must be understood within the totality of the Bible and as interpreted by the Church. (Read Dei Verbum and/or relevant parts of the Cathechism of the Catholic Church.)

God’s love is infinite, which we cannot comprehend. But, one of the themes in the Bible, from front to back, is to obey God’s commandments. That itself is an act of love.

Our relationship with God is a covenant relationship, and that means we are committed 100%, or should be. We commit that way by use of our free will. We are all struggling with that, no question there.

Marriage is a lifelong covenant, and the rights that two people share in marriage are enclosed in the commitment that they make to each other. And, the same goes with God. We have commitments, and the commitments are defined in the various “commandments.” Jesus said, “if you love Me, keep my commandments.”

Offending God is a term that makes God sound like a human being, which God is not. The Bible and the Church use such imagery to help us understand God and our commitment to Him.

When asked what the greatest commandment was, He said “Love the LORD thy God with your whole heart, your whole soul (to the point of death), with your whole mind, and with all your strength (even to exhaust all your resources for God, if that is what He asks of you). And, the second is like it, to love your neighbor as yourself.”

We offend God by not living up to the covenant.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.