Question about All Souls plenary indulgence

I found the following and I have a question:

From the
Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter–
October 2005 Newsletter

Indulgences for the Poor Souls
Current regulations in force by Pope Benedict XVI

I On All Souls’ Day (Nov. 2) a plenary indulgence, applicable only to the Poor Souls, is granted to those who visit any parish church or public oratory and there recite one Our Father and one Credo.
II On all the days from November I though November 8 inclusive, a plenary indulgence, applicable only to the Poor Souls, is granted to those who visit a cemetery and pray even if only mentally for the departed.

Conditions for both indulgences:

1. Only one plenary indulgence can be granted per day.
2. It is necessary to be in the state of grace, at least by completion of the work.
3. Freedom from attachment to sin, even venial sin, is necessary; otherwise the indulgence is only partial. (By this is meant attachment to a particular sin, not sin in general.)
**4. Holy Communion must be received each time the indulgence is sought.**
5. Prayers must he recited for the intentions of the Holy Father on each day the indulgence is sought. (No particular prayers are prescribed. One Our Father and one Hail Mary suffice, or other suitable prayers.
6. A sacramental concession must he made within a week of completion of the prescribed work. (One confession made during the week, made with the intention of gaining all the indulgences, suffices.)

Does this mean I must receive Holy Communion everyday from Nov. 1st through Nov. 8th? Or do I just receive once sometime during this same time period?

The way I read it is, one plenary indulgence can be sought per day Nov1 -Nov 8

So yes, it sounds like you have to receive communion on each of those days to for each indulgence.

At least that is how I read it.

If you want eight indulgences, you must attend eight masses, receive communion eight times, and basically remain in a state of grace without any attachment to even venial sin for eight days.

That said, divide by eight for each clause, and you’ll get requirements for one indulgence.

By the way, I think it’s sad that people put indulgence threads in the Traditional Catholicism forum. Not criticizing, just making an observation.

There are a couple of links in this thread which might be of help. There is a little bit of room for interpretation , and additionally if God sees a desire in someone’s heart to help the holy souls …

1 Samuel 16:7

“Not as man sees does God see, because man sees the appearance but the LORD looks into the heart.”

We could draw inspiration from our Blessed Lord’s words to St. Faustina as recorded in her Diary as well - (highlights mine)

[quote=St. Faustina’s Diary]" …I saw my Guardian Angel, who ordered me to follow him. In a moment I was in a misty place full of fire in which there was a great crowd of suffering souls. They were praying fervently, but to no avail, for themselves; only we can come to their aid. The flames, which were burning them, did not touch me at all. My Guardian Angel did not leave me for an instant. I asked these souls what their greatest suffering was. They answered me in one voice that their greatest torment was longing for God. I saw Our Lady visiting the souls in Purgatory. The souls call Her “The Star of the Sea”. She brings them refreshment. I wanted to talk with them some more, but my Guardian Angel beckoned me to leave. We went out of that prison of suffering. * ‘My mercy does not want this, but justice demands it.* Since that time, I am in closer communion with the suffering souls.’” (Diary, 20)

It’s worth remembering that when we wish to offer prayers or prayerful acts for the holy souls in Purgatory , God becomes our greatest Ally.

:slight_smile:
[/quote]

Thanks for the replies.

I followed that link, NeedImprovement, and now I have another question:

Do I have to go to Confession after Nov. 8th or will my Confession last night (Oct. 31) suffice?

This EWTN article implies an interval of up to 20 days can be permissible. I would personally just go to Confession when I feel the need. (Sorry - can’t write more - on my way out now) . The idea I believe is to try and remain , as best we can, in a state of grace during the performance of the work … then the work renders maximum fruit, so to speak (and a state of grace afterwards too :), God willing ).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.