Question About Baptist Belief

A Baptist acquaintance of mine was trying to understand infant baptism, or perhaps trying to explain to me why it’s unbiblical. Anyway, when I mentioned that baptism wipes away original sin, he said original sin no longer exists because Jesus forgave that and wiped that away on the cross. Now obviously I do not agree with him, but I have never heard that before. Just curious if that’s a normal baptist teaching?

I’m not even sure what original sin is, could anyone help me out on this?

I do know that some protestants believe baptism is not necessary and some believe you just do it as an outward showing of the change on the inside.

All of humanity has inherited original sin due to Adam’s sin. We all have an inclination to sin. We are all born with this.

Most Baptists do not believe in the concept of original sin in the same way Catholics do, so your friend’s description is somewhat appropriate for Baptists. They believe all people will/do sin at some time in life, you’re just not born with a stain of sin. Many attribute this purity at birth to Christ’s sacrifice; the ability to be freed from sin at all, of course, stems from the cross.

So is it sin in general or a specific sin you are born with, such as, homosexuality?

General. By being born human, you inherit the sin of Adam and Eve as you would any hereditary condition.

Thanks for the answers. And I have one more, lol. Do catholics get baptised twice, once as an infant and once as an adult?

No. The sin of Adam.
newadvent.org/cathen/11312a.htm

Original sin may be taken to mean: (1) the sin that Adam committed; (2) a consequence of this first sin, the hereditary stain with which we are born on account of our origin or descent from Adam.

From the Catechism:

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p1s2c1p7.htm

Man’s first sin

397 Man, tempted by the devil, let his trust in his Creator die in his heart and, abusing his freedom, disobeyed God’s command. This is what man’s first sin consisted of.278 All subsequent sin would be disobedience toward God and lack of trust in his goodness.

398 In that sin man preferred himself to God and by that very act scorned him. He chose himself over and against God, against the requirements of his creaturely status and therefore against his own good. Constituted in a state of holiness, man was destined to be fully “divinized” by God in glory. Seduced by the devil, he wanted to “be like God”, but “without God, before God, and not in accordance with God”.279

399 Scripture portrays the tragic consequences of this first disobedience. Adam and Eve immediately lose the grace of original holiness.280 They become afraid of the God of whom they have conceived a distorted image - that of a God jealous of his prerogatives.281

400 The harmony in which they had found themselves, thanks to original justice, is now destroyed: the control of the soul’s spiritual faculties over the body is shattered; the union of man and woman becomes subject to tensions, their relations henceforth marked by lust and domination.282 Harmony with creation is broken: visible creation has become alien and hostile to man.283 Because of man, creation is now subject “to its bondage to decay”.284 Finally, the consequence explicitly foretold for this disobedience will come true: man will “return to the ground”,285 for out of it he was taken. Death makes its entrance into human history.286

401 After that first sin, the world is virtually inundated by sin There is Cain’s murder of his brother Abel and the universal corruption which follows in the wake of sin. Likewise, sin frequently manifests itself in the history of Israel, especially as infidelity to the God of the Covenant and as transgression of the Law of Moses. And even after Christ’s atonement, sin raises its head in countless ways among Christians.287 Scripture and the Church’s Tradition continually recall the presence and universality of sin in man’s history:

Haha…no, only once. The Bible says only “one Baptism”.

The second baptism only makes one wet and cold. :wink:

catholicdoors.com/courses/baptism.htm

Lol. Thank you for the clarifications.

I was raised a Baptist. Baptists believe in original sin. Everyone is born with original sin and is condemned to hell because of it. However, mentally challenged individuals and young children who have not reached the age of accountability will not be sent to hell because of original sin.

Baptists believe that baptism is only an outward sign and is not absolutely necessary for salvation. They also believe that baptism should only occur after one has made a decision to follow Jesus as their personal savior. (No infants) They practice baby dedications, where the parents pledge to raise the child in a Christian home and teach them Christian values.

These beliefs on original sin and baptism are also held by Evangelicals too btw

So why did jesus get baptized of he wasn’t born with original sin?

Maybe my blog article on this will help. The Case For Infant Baptism

That is how I understood it. They definitely believe in Baptism, but not as infants. Only after someone is ready to accept Jesus as their Lord and Personal savior and ready to follow Him.

Good question. One reason I can think of is an example for us to follow.

Tshort, you might want to take a prayerful look at my other blog article Baptism~ Necessary or Not?

St. Justin Martyr (d. 165), one of the first great apologists, addressed the baptism in his Dialogue with Trypho. He emphasized that the Son had no need to be baptized—just as he had no need to be born, to suffer, or die—but did so in order to reveal himself to mankind; the baptism, in other words, was the messianic manifestation, a sign for the Church first, and then the world. When Jesus came to the waters, St. Justin wrote, “He was deemed a carpenter,” but the proclamation of the Father and the descent of the Holy Spirit in the form of a dove showed him to be far more than a mere worker of wood.

catholicworldreport.com/Blog/1879/why_did_jesus_insist_on_being_baptized.aspx

John the Baptist asked pretty much the same question, because Jesus is knew He was to be an example to be followed. He was baptized because we should be baptized, not because He had to be baptized.

Baptists do believe in original sin. The Baptist Faith and Message (the confession of faith of the Southern Baptist Convention, the largest Baptist denomination in the world) states the following:

Man is the special creation of God, made in His own image. He created them male and female as the crowning work of His creation. The gift of gender is thus part of the goodness of God’s creation. **In the beginning man was innocent of sin and was endowed by his Creator with freedom of choice. By his free choice man sinned against God and brought sin into the human race. Through the temptation of Satan man transgressed the command of God, and fell from his original innocence whereby his posterity inherit a nature and an environment inclined toward sin. Therefore, as soon as they are capable of moral action, they become transgressors and are under condemnation. **Only the grace of God can bring man into His holy fellowship and enable man to fulfill the creative purpose of God. The sacredness of human personality is evident in that God created man in His own image, and in that Christ died for man; therefore, every person of every race possesses full dignity and is worthy of respect and Christian love.

Older Baptist confessions express this same idea. Note this passage from the 1833 New Hampshire Confession of Faith:

Of the Fall of Man We believe that man was created in holiness, under the law of his Maker (13); but by voluntary transgression fell from that holy and happy state (14); in consequence of which all mankind are now sinners (15), not by constraint, but choice (16); being by nature utterly void of that holiness required by the law of God, positively inclined to evil; and therefore under just condemnation to eternal ruin (17), without defense or excuse (18).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.