Question about being grateful for gifts

This isn't so much a faith-based question as it is one of manners and courtesy regarding Christmas gifts. Here's my situation:

My BIL gave me an mp3 player for Christmas. He'd bought a car a couple of years ago and the mp3 player came complimentary with the car. BIL already had an mp3 player that he used, and so did his wife, so the one that came with the car just sat in the box for two years. BIL thought of selling it for a few extra bucks, but never got around to it. My mp3 player broke a few months back, and I mentioned that I was thinking of replacing it. So, for Christmas, BIL gave me the extra mp3 player he had. I was grateful that he'd thought of me and that he was trying to help me out. Problem is, the one he gave me has very little memory; I can't keep all of my music on it. I've tried to cut out some of the music that I don't listen to, but I still can't get it to fit on the mp3 player he gave to me, so I'm considering buying a new one when my birthday comes around.

So my question is, if I buy a new one for myself (or ask my husband for it as a birthday present) am I being ungrateful? Spoiled? My husband thinks I am, since it was a gift, but I don't know if I agree. (I can see where he might be able to make that point if BIL had specifically bought the mp3 player for me new.) I asked my mom about it too, and she doesn't think that I'm being ungrateful by buying myself a new one, considering this one isn't very practical for me and the mp3 player was just an extra that was lying around--does that matter? I don't want to do something that will hurt feelings or make BIL think that I don't appreciate his gift. And if I am being ungrateful, I want to change that.

So, any thoughts?

No, I don't think you're being ungrateful at all! You're enjoying having the opportunity to listen to what you can for now, and have decided you'd simply like an upgrade for your birthday.

Rude and ungrateful would be handing it back to him and saying, "Sorry, that's not good enough."

I would be sure to show your gratitude to your brother (did you send a thank-you note? :))... but most reasonable people would understand that it's outdated and wouldn't find that insulting. Heck, the guy RE-GIFTED it to you... ;)
Enjoy it while you have it... you never know if you'll need it as a backup for the future at some time... or you can pass it on to kids/husband for their smaller selections of music...

[quote="dancergal, post:1, topic:226388"]
So my question is, if I buy a new one for myself (or ask my husband for it as a birthday present) am I being ungrateful?

[/quote]

No.

Spoiled? My husband thinks I am, since it was a gift, but I don't know if I agree.

[/quote]

Your husband is wrong. Just because something was a gift doesn't mean you have to keep it forever, never replace it, or use it if it doesn't suit you.

quote="dancergal, post:1, topic:226388"

[/quote]

It wouldn't be ungrateful even if your BIL had bought the MP3 player.

So, any thoughts?

[/quote]

Your husband is making a mountain out of a mole hill.

This isn't so much a faith-based question as it is one of manners and courtesy regarding Christmas gifts. Here's my situation:

My BIL gave me an mp3 player for Christmas. He'd bought a car a couple of years ago and the mp3 player came complimentary with the car. BIL already had an mp3 player that he used, and so did his wife, so the one that came with the car just sat in the box for two years. BIL thought of selling it for a few extra bucks, but never got around to it. My mp3 player broke a few months back, and I mentioned that I was thinking of replacing it. So, for Christmas, BIL gave me the extra mp3 player he had. I was grateful that he'd thought of me and that he was trying to help me out. Problem is, the one he gave me has very little memory; I can't keep all of my music on it. I've tried to cut out some of the music that I don't listen to, but I still can't get it to fit on the mp3 player he gave to me, so I'm considering buying a new one when my birthday comes around.

So my question is, if I buy a new one for myself (or ask my husband for it as a birthday present) am I being ungrateful? Spoiled? My husband thinks I am, since it was a gift, but I don't know if I agree. (I can see where he might be able to make that point if BIL had specifically bought the mp3 player for me new.) I asked my mom about it too, and she doesn't think that I'm being ungrateful by buying myself a new one, considering this one isn't very practical for me and the mp3 player was just an extra that was lying around--does that matter? I don't want to do something that will hurt feelings or make BIL think that I don't appreciate his gift. And if I am being ungrateful, I want to change that.

So, any thoughts?

[/quote]

I agree with the other posters. Your not being ungrateful. Your just getting an upgraded one. You could just keep the one your brother in law gave you as a back up. Or you could "accidentally" break it lol just kidding.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.