Question about being Overweight

Hi! I’m a female in my early 30’s, healthy, yet very overweight. I’m in RCIA and have come to the realization that being overweight is a sin because I’m not taking proper care of my body, which the Bible says is a temple of the Holy Spirit. So, a few weeks ago, I started changing my diet, and I’ve already lost a few pounds. I also started going for walks.

I’m not able to go to confession yet, because I just started RCIA, but I have asked for forgiveness for letting myself get so overweight. I am taking action now to reverse that.

My fear is that if I were to somehow die before reaching my ideal weight, would I go to Hell, since gluttony is a sin?

The change in your heart is enough to save. Just because it's taking your body a little longer to catch up doesn't or in my opinion, shouldn't keep your from heaven. And the state of your body isn't a sign of gluttony, because you've changed your habits and so are not now being gluttonous therefore you are not sinning. It just takes longer for your body to come along. And I can't believe our loving G~d and His Son would consign you to hell since your heart has changed.

[quote="DoxieMama, post:1, topic:302109"]
Hi! I'm a female in my early 30's, healthy, yet very overweight. I'm in RCIA and have come to the realization that being overweight is a sin because I'm not taking proper care of my body, which the Bible says is a temple of the Holy Spirit. So, a few weeks ago, I started changing my diet, and I've already lost a few pounds. I also started going for walks.

I'm not able to go to confession yet, because I just started RCIA, but I have asked for forgiveness for letting myself get so overweight. I am taking action now to reverse that.

My fear is that if I were to somehow die before reaching my ideal weight, would I go to Hell, since gluttony is a sin?

[/quote]

Well, St. Thomas Aquinas and St. Anthony of Padua were both fat and they were made saints.:thumbsup:

All catholics are slim… :rolleyes:

Take good care of yourself…that’s all there is to that ‘temple’ thing.

No need to worry about a few extra pounds!
What was once the ideal is now obese, and truth remains forever unchanged.

[quote="Armor_of_Light, post:4, topic:302109"]
All catholics are slim.. :rolleyes:

Take good care of yourself..that's all there is to that 'temple' thing.

No need to worry about a few extra pounds!
What was once the ideal is now obese, and truth remains forever unchanged.

[/quote]

Correct.

It's very easy to confuse the demands of the secular culture with the teaching of the Church. Being overweight, even though it does mean neglecting the body in one way, isn't a huge sin, and certainly it's not one that will send you to hell. There are far, far worse sins to avoid than that.

Hi! I'm a female in my early 30's, healthy, yet very overweight. I'm in RCIA and have come to the realization that being overweight is a sin because I'm not taking proper care of my body, which the Bible says is a temple of the Holy Spirit. So, a few weeks ago, I started changing my diet, and I've already lost a few pounds. I also started going for walks.

I'm not able to go to confession yet, because I just started RCIA, but I have asked for forgiveness for letting myself get so overweight. I am taking action now to reverse that.

[/quote]

It is important to understand what gluttony is. Gluttony is continuing to eat when you are not hungry. It is sinful when it reflects a disregard for those who are hungry (as in the parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus).

For some people, the mental switch they are satisfied does not trigger until they have eaten more than others and they may gain weight. This is not a sin. It is wise for these people to adjust their eating habits so they can better care for the bodies God gave them, but not mandatory.

PM me for some good news.

Good for you and your efforts.:thumbsup:

I didn’t know that about Saint Anthony of Padua. He is always depicted as looking like he’s of average weight.

Being overweight in and of its self, is not a sin. How someone gets there may or maynot be a sin. As for glotteny, a person maybe underweight and be gulty of it, by being picky about how their food (ie toast not the right shade of brown goes into the trash, even going through half a loaf of bread).:eek: :bigyikes: PS I'm not thin myself. I've lost about 30lbs over the past four months.

[/quote]

Hey many Popes and holy people are heavy, look at sister Angelica, so yes were not suppose to be gluttons, but good to hear your dieting and walking, I use to smoke but made a vow to God I'd quit, and well one can't break a vow to God once you make one, so asking him for help never worked, but that vow did. Good luck to you, and please don't starve yourself and loose slowly and steady, stay healthy.:)

Thanks everyone for the replies!

[quote="Holly3278, post:9, topic:302109"]
I didn't know that about Saint Anthony of Padua. He is always depicted as looking like he's of average weight.

[/quote]

I didn't know that either until Mother Angelica was talking about it on the Radio. She said St. Anthony was fat but all the statues make him look slim, but he was fat and so is she, and she wants to be more like him!:D

Just being overweight isn't a sin. If you've turned away from gluttony as you say then you are on your way to virtue and happiness. Naturally our body takes time to change, whereas spiritual change can be instantaneous. "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." Don't be discouraged, pray for perseverance!

[/quote]

Being overweight per se is not a sin.

[/quote]

Not to dismiss God but I'd lose the weight for yourself first...you'll feel better about yourself, have more energy, possibly sleep better and avoid certain health issues as you age. Doing so may make you happier and more joyful. Thank God and ask for added strength on your journey. I'm sure he is cheering you on. One added thought is to listen to either a catholic.com or ewtn.com podcast as you go for your walk. This is a wonderful way to lose weight and get closer to God at the same time.

Being overweight is not always unhealthy. It is the Culture of Death :mad: that has decided being fat is a sin, not God. Gluttony has to do with how we eat, not with what we look like.

I had a small epiphany this week; maybe it will help you.

I've struggled, trying to figure out just what gluttony is. (I'm obese, with some health problems from it.) It occurred to me that it is a kind of lust for food. So when I eat something, and say, "That was good!" that is appreciation. But when I say, "That was good! I'm going to have more!" that's lust for food.

If that makes sense to you, use it; if not, ignore it!

The modern definition of “gluttony” is eating food while watching TV.

Are you a glutton?

[quote="steve53, post:18, topic:302109"]
The modern definition of "gluttony" is eating food while watching TV.

Are you a glutton?

[/quote]

What you say is not true. You could be sitting eating a salad watching EWTN and I can assure you that is not gluttony!

Its the Catholic definition of gluttony we look to:

GLUTTONY. Inordinate desire for the pleasure connected with food or drink. This desire may become sinful in various ways: by eating or drinking far more than a person needs to maintain bodily strength; by glutting one’s taste for certain kinds of food with known detriment to health; by indulging the appetite for exquisite food or drink, especially when these are beyond one’s ability to afford a luxurious diet; by eating or drinking too avidly, i.e., ravenously; by consuming alcoholic beverages to the point of losing full control of one’s reasoning powers. Intoxication that ends in complete loss of reason is a mortal sin if brought on without justification, e.g., for medical reasons. (Etym. Latin glutire, to devour.)

[/quote]

Be at peace. You are obeying the Church and following how She has determined for you to enter the Church. If something (God forbid) should happen between now and Easter Vigil, God certainly knows your heart and your obedience to His Bride/Body/Church. God will forgive any sins you may have if something were to happen.

(you aren't the first to wonder about this, I was worried about it too when I went through RCIA, until I found the answer)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.