Question about "Benedictine Daily Prayer: A Short Breviary"

Hello,

I have a question about praying a version of the Liturgy of the Hours or Divine Office, as contained in “Benedictine Daily Prayer: A Short Breviary.” If one prays Lauds as the first office of the day, should I begin with the Invitatory, ie, O Lord Open My Lips …, Glory Be …, antiphon, Psalm 95, antiphon, and Glory Be …? If I begin with the Invitatory, then should I continue with O God Come To My Assistance … and Psalm 67 or would I omit those two items and go directly to the hymn for Lauds? I really appreciate any help you could offer as I would like to keep my prayer consistent as much as possible with others using this wonder book of prayer.

Peace,

Mark

From my understanding of the general instruction of the liturgy of the hours, and this is how i pray it and understand it, and anyone correct me if i am wrong here. when praying the first hour, begin with the inviatory, Lord open my lips…Antiphon, Psalm 95, Antiphon, Glory be…, and then the opening song. you do not have to say the God come to my assistance… part when praying the inviatory first. If you were to pray the office of the readings before lauds, you would begin with the inviatory, then the office of readings, then lauds, beginning with God come to my assistance…
hope this helps, i am still trying to figure this all out, but one thing i have found, the more you do it, the easier it is, and the more you get out of it. i had never really looked at the psalms before i begin praying the liturgy of the hours. I never realized how beautiful and relevant the Psalms are in our lives.

Jason,
My, oh, my, do I ever agree with you. I have tried on several ocassions to learn to say the Little Office of the BVM. So after several failures I went to our local parochial vicar and asked for some help. He seemed rather pleased that I was interested and has been guiding me for a few weeks now. And you are right, the more I say it the easier it becomes.

Yesterday I found the Dominican site for the Little Office. See this link saintmichaelarchangel.com/Office.html

All the hours are there and its in english (old variety, which I like best).
Try it !

Thank you for your help Jason. I found the the gneeral instructions you referred to on the web – I’m sure they’ll be quite helpful.

I share your sentiment about the Psalms – their poetry and ability to capture the wide range of human emotions about life, faith and God. Even if a Psalm doesn’t match my current mood or feeling, praying the Psalm is so valuable as a way of praying on behalf of others who do feel as the Psalm describes. Such a wonderful grace.

Anyway, thank you again. Mark

I’ve been doing Morning and Evening Prayer for a while now. My understanding for the General Instruction is this:

If Readings if the first Office of the day - the Invitatory is mandatory.

If Morning Prayer (Lauds) is the first office of the day - the Invitatory is optional.

The Invitatory is only ever used at the start of Readings or Lauds.

If the Invitatory is used the usual Introduction to the Hour is omitted.

Has anyone else prayed the shorter Breviary and the LotH? How do they compare?

Thanks

According the the current rubrics for the Monastic Office:

Quando invitatorium celebratur ante Laudes matutinas, psalmus anteponitur, sine antiphona. Postea cantatur psalmus 94 cum antiphona more responsiali…

And

Psalmodia:

Psalmus 66 sine antiphona in directum, nisi canitur ante invitatorium

So if you are reciting the invitatory at Lauds, you do psalm 66(67) after the opening verse but before the invitatory psalm, and without antiphon.

liturgyofthehours.org/todays-pages/christian-prayer

Just for reference :thumbsup:

Won’t work with the Benedictine Daily Prayer. It is modeled after the Monastic Office which is completely different. Different calendar of saints, and different ordering of the psalms.

WOW. Thanks so very much.

Many years, my Guide doesn’t arrive until the middle of January. What an absolutely fantastic resource!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.