Question about Benedictine Oblates?

Do you need to live close to a Benedictine monastery and visit the monastery often to be an oblate? I ask because I’m interested in Benedictine spirituality and becoming an oblate, but the closest monasteries are hours away. Thank you.

It helps to be close and they certainly encourage frequent attendance but if that is not geographically possible you can stay in touch via email or newsletter as well.

I live a couple hours away from my monastery. Sometimes I think about how nice it would be if it were close by and I could just pop in whenever I wanted rather than having to plan a trip there. But it is what it is.

It’s probably best if the monastery is close enough to be able to make a retreat or visit at least occasionally. Part of being an Oblate is being part of a community, and it’s hard to do that if you never see the other members. Some monasteries also have groups that meet further away. Mine does this. That means there are members in more distant areas who meet together with one of the monks on a monthly or other regular basis.

Actually, I could go probably every 6 months. I was just wondering if visits would need to be more frequent, such as monthly.

[quote="SuscipeMeDomine, post:3, topic:341309"]
I live a couple hours away from my monastery. Sometimes I think about how nice it would be if it were close by and I could just pop in whenever I wanted rather than having to plan a trip there. But it is what it is.

It's probably best if the monastery is close enough to be able to make a retreat or visit at least occasionally. Part of being an Oblate is being part of a community, and it's hard to do that if you never see the other members. Some monasteries also have groups that meet further away. Mine does this. That means there are members in more distant areas who meet together with one of the monks on a monthly or other regular basis.

[/quote]

[quote="AnthonyJ, post:4, topic:341309"]
Actually, I could go probably every 6 months. I was just wondering if visits would need to be more frequent, such as monthly.

[/quote]

Talk with the folks at the monastery and they can tell you what their expectations are. I hope it works out for you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.