Question about Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?

I looked this topic up in some Catholic commentaries earlier, and they said that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit means that someone continues to reject God’s mercy and forgiveness up until they die and pass away in a state of mortal sin and rejection against God. But I have a question…
When Jesus was talking about blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, he didn’t mention anything about continued rejection of the Holy Spirit’s calling someone to repent. Nor did He mention anything about a person dying in a state of unconfessed mortal sin. He merely said that “anyone who speaks against the Holy Ghost” has committed an unpardonable sin. So, can anyone explain to me how blasphemy against the Holy Spirit works, and why the Church interprets this scripture passage this way?
Here is the full passage for reference.

Matthew 12:22-37

King James Version (KJV)

22 Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw.

23 And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David?

24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.

25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:

26 And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?

27 And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.

28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.

29 Or else how can one enter into a strong man’s house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.

30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.

31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

First, put that KJV Bible on the shelf and don't ever pick it up again. It is a horrible non-Catholic approved translation. Go to a good Catholic Book Store, or go on Amazon.com and order yourself a good Catholic translation.

Second, for a good explanation to your questions, go here:

ewtn.com/library/ANSWERS/UNFORGIV.HTM

If I may - I will share how I have come to understand this...

Jesus in his preaching and teaching is not talking about discrete occurrences...like "crimes" against some "law". Instead He is describing attitude and the disposition of one's spirit.

No person who believes in God can curse God. No person who Loves God can blaspheme the Spirit of God. If one does this...then it speaks to what is in that person's heart.

If that person later comes to believe...Comes to accept and to Love God...then that person is "reborn" in the Spirit....The old spirit who cursed God is dead and the new spirit who Loves God is alive and cannot ever curse God.

Of course this does not mean the person cannot ever sin again....but to that degree???
Not likely...

Just some thoughts....

Peace
James

The people in question were looking at a deed that was obviously performed by God and attributed it to the devil. If the One who performed the deed then asked them to do something (i.e. repent), how do you suppose they would respond? Since they have said this One is a devil, they have restricted themselves from responding.

A priest explained the unforgivable sin to our prayer group as when a person says to God: "Keep your forgiveness, I don't need it." It is not that God does not forgive everything, it is a person's refusal to accept that forgiveness and repent.

=MattJB;10609350]I looked this topic up in some Catholic commentaries earlier, and they said that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit means that someone continues to reject God's mercy and forgiveness up until they die and pass away in a state of mortal sin and rejection against God. But I have a question....
When Jesus was talking about blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, he didn't mention anything about continued rejection of the Holy Spirit's calling someone to repent. Nor did He mention anything about a person dying in a state of unconfessed mortal sin. He merely said that "anyone who speaks against the Holy Ghost" has committed an unpardonable sin. So, can anyone explain to me how blasphemy against the Holy Spirit works, and why the Church interprets this scripture passage this way?
Here is the full passage for reference

Matt, a bit of advice,

You seem to either be looking for trouble or an argument.

Because this IS "The ONLY Unforgivneable sin" there ia possibly only one truthful understanding. It HAS TO DO WITH THE FIRST COMMANDMENT...

LOVE OUR GOD
with our entire minds, hearts and souls

Are you aware that the ENTIRE Universe exist FOR MAN? So that even athesist and agnostics COULD; CAN and should know God?

That hunmanity ALONE has this potential and can ALOSNE emulate God:

READ Isa. 43 vereses 7 and 21 in particular; but 7 through 21 is a good Lesson.

"The Holy Spirit" represent the TRINITY: One God... Deny God means pack your bags for hell! AMEN

One thing that I would like to add to this is that it is never too late to turn and turn back to God. Saint Peter had said that he would never deny Christ, but within four hours had done so three times. Then he became the first Pope!! I would also recommend giving Saint Faustina’s Diary a good read. She had at one point turned away from God with all her heart, and turned toward “creatures.” I am not fully sure what she meant by “creatures,” but they were not God.

[quote="PJM, post:6, topic:322608"]

Matt, a bit of advice,

You seem to either be looking for trouble or an argument.

Because this IS "The ONLY Unforgivneable sin" there ia possibly only one truthful understanding. It HAS TO DO WITH THE FIRST COMMANDMENT...

LOVE OUR GOD
with our entire minds, hearts and souls

Are you aware that the ENTIRE Universe exist FOR MAN? So that even athesist and agnostics COULD; CAN and should know God?

That hunmanity ALONE has this potential and can ALOSNE emulate God:

READ Isa. 43 vereses 7 and 21 in particular; but 7 through 21 is a good Lesson.

"The Holy Spirit" represent the TRINITY: One God... Deny God means pack your bags for hell! AMEN

[/quote]

No. I do not intend to argue or look for trouble. I'm only here to learn more. Apologies if I came off the wrong way. :)

=Truly_Blessed;10611111]One thing that I would like to add to this is that it is never too late to turn and turn back to God. Saint Peter had said that he would never deny Christ, but within four hours had done so three times. Then he became the first Pope!! I would also recommend giving Saint Faustina's Diary a good read. She had at one point turned away from God with all her heart, and turned toward "creatures." I am not fully sure what she meant by "creatures," but they were not God.

Nice addition, thanks:thumbsup:

And WELCOME to CAF:)

Pat

=MattJB;10613716]No. I do not intend to argue or look for trouble. I'm only here to learn more. Apologies if I came off the wrong way. :)

That Matt is GREAT news:D

So how can we assist you?

[quote="owensjo, post:5, topic:322608"]
A priest explained the unforgivable sin to our prayer group as when a person says to God: "Keep your forgiveness, I don't need it." It is not that God does not forgive everything, it is a person's refusal to accept that forgiveness and repent.

[/quote]

Perhaps a more common example is persistent despair : ie I have sinned so bad God won't forgive me. It is the flip side to the same coin, unbelief in God's mercy.

blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. To actually commit this sin I believe that you would have to be someone like an apostle who, filled with the Holy Spirit, does all manner of healings and miracles and mighty deeds done at their hands, by the holy spirit in Jesus name. And then, after that experience turns around at some point and denies the existence of the Holy Spirit.

I think Jesus was pretty clear. After commiting this offence, nothing you could ever do would enable you to be forgiven. Jesus is the only one who could forgive us anyway.

=Aussieman88;10620266]blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. To actually commit this sin I believe that you would have to be someone like an apostle who, filled with the Holy Spirit, does all manner of healings and miracles and mighty deeds done at their hands, by the holy spirit in Jesus name. And then, after that experience turns around at some point and denies the existence of the Holy Spirit.

I think Jesus was pretty clear. After commiting this offence, nothing you could ever do would enable you to be forgiven. Jesus is the only one who could forgive us anyway.

Friend, BOTH of your points do NOT allign with those of the CC:blush:

The ONLY unforgiveable sis in denial of God. Period. WHY

Because only humanity CAN sin.

Like our God whomw we ALONE emulate: we have a mid, intellect and feewill precisely so that we CAN and there are gravely obligated to [BUT NOT foreced too] Know love and Serve God in humble obedience.

Isa.43 Verses 7 & 21: “every one who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made." AND the people whom I formed for myself that they might declare my praise.”

I'll pray for your right understanding

I presume you are referring here to Hebrews 6:4-6

For it is impossible in the case of those who have once been enlightened and tasted the heavenly gift and shared in the holy Spirit and tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, to bring them to repentance again, since they are recrucifying the Son of God for themselves and holding him up to contempt.

However, from Matthew 19:26, we learn:

“For human beings this is impossible, but for God all things are possible.”

In short, we do not regard this impossibility to be absolute since the action of God, through the Sacrament of Reconciliation or even independent of it, can indeed bring someone back into the fold.

=SonCatcher;10625293]I presume you are referring here to Hebrews 6:4-6

For it is impossible in the case of those who have once been enlightened and tasted the heavenly gift and shared in the holy Spirit and tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, to bring them to repentance again, since they are recrucifying the Son of God for themselves and holding him up to contempt.

However, from Matthew 19:26, we learn:

“For human beings this is impossible, but for God all things are possible.”

In short, we do not regard this impossibility to be absolute since the action of God, through the Sacrament of Reconciliation or even independent of it, can indeed bring someone back into the fold.

John; VERY WELL DONE!:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.