question about brown scapular

Over past two years my family has switched from Latin rite to Byzantine rite. We still retain some Latin practices, out of devotional habit- but we've always attended Byzantine vespers on Saturday evening, and then, little by little we started attending Divine Liturgy- our children were even Christmated, since they do not have Christmation as part of the Baptism in the Latin rite- and they receive Communion each Sunday. One child has had the first confession of sins. The others, not yet.

My question is this: we wear ( or try to remember to continue wearing) the brown scapular, a western practice. With the new spirituality, this practice doesn't quite seem to "jive" or, it feels sort of "scrupulous." I know for a fact that it's not "wrong" but what I'm hoping to find out, is if it would be "wrong" to take it off, in order to shed some remnants of previously improperly understood devotions that I personally have. (i.e. "this is my safety net- it will save me in the long run, and other such destructive personal ideology) Eastern Christian spirituality has served as an huge antidote for me to much of this type of thought which has tended to keep me away from God, rather than draw me towards Him in a spirit of trust. - on a deeply personal level. I am not trying to denigrate Latin practices, not in the least, they are beneficial for salvation fo those who can understand and practice correctly- it has only been my sin, my personal experience of it, my background- too hard to shed without some big, exterior change- that I speak of. A complicated question, I realize- please understand that it is my desire is to do what is right and beneficial for my children, primarily-

Any ideas, or thoughts- conjectures, arguments, even? I recognize that it is not a spiritual direction, here--and I am not expecting such- I am just looking for things to jog my thought processes on this matter, for thoughts, journalings, and for prayer, for my discernment on such matters :) -should you have the time to pray for this sinner. I look for discussion and helps from my fellow Christians.

I do not have an Eastern priest at present, whom I can consult with on this matter, and it seems a wee bit subjective, so I'm looking for Eastern Catholic- and primarily spiritual views, or references on the subject, or thoughts, or participations, or from the saints, if, and only if, you are willing (and gentle for this particular poor soul:) ) participants in such a discussion.

• thanks in advance!:) I'm learning so much, here!

I am a Roman Catholic still, but recently applied for a "change of rite".

The Scapular is pretty popular in Ukraine, actually. I have several Ukrainian friends that wear it and I know of a village priest that enrolls people. It's called a "paraman" in Ukrainian.

I would continue wearing it and don't worry about if it is "Eastern" or not. There's no rule that when you change rites you have to purge out all Latin devotions out of your life. That's even unhealthy to do so in my opinion.

A real Ukrainian would not worry about such a thing....they would rather have a beer and watch Kiev Dynamo rather than scrupulize about such things. :thumbsup:

[quote="Mary_Poppins, post:1, topic:306307"]
Over past two years my family has switched from Latin rite to Byzantine rite. We still retain some Latin practices, out of devotional habit- but we've always attended Byzantine vespers on Saturday evening, and then, little by little we started attending Divine Liturgy- our children were even Christmated, since they do not have Christmation as part of the Baptism in the Latin rite- and they receive Communion each Sunday. One child has had the first confession of sins. The others, not yet.

My question is this: we wear ( or try to remember to continue wearing) the brown scapular, a western practice. With the new spirituality, this practice doesn't quite seem to "jive" or, it feels sort of "scrupulous." I know for a fact that it's not "wrong" but what I'm hoping to find out, is if it would be "wrong" to take it off, in order to shed some remnants of previously improperly understood devotions that I personally have. (i.e. "this is my safety net- it will save me in the long run, and other such destructive personal ideology) Eastern Christian spirituality has served as an huge antidote for me to much of this type of thought which has tended to keep me away from God, rather than draw me towards Him in a spirit of trust. - on a deeply personal level. I am not trying to denigrate Latin practices, not in the least, they are beneficial for salvation fo those who can understand and practice correctly- it has only been my sin, my personal experience of it, my background- too hard to shed without some big, exterior change- that I speak of. A complicated question, I realize- please understand that it is my desire is to do what is right and beneficial for my children, primarily-

Any ideas, or thoughts- conjectures, arguments, even? I recognize that it is not a spiritual direction, here--and I am not expecting such- I am just looking for things to jog my thought processes on this matter, for thoughts, journalings, and for prayer, for my discernment on such matters :) -should you have the time to pray for this sinner. I look for discussion and helps from my fellow Christians.

I do not have an Eastern priest at present, whom I can consult with on this matter, and it seems a wee bit subjective, so I'm looking for Eastern Catholic- and primarily spiritual views, or references on the subject, or thoughts, or participations, or from the saints, if, and only if, you are willing (and gentle for this particular poor soul:) ) participants in such a discussion.

• thanks in advance!:) I'm learning so much, here!

[/quote]

I am a Byzantine Catholic, and wear the Fivefold Scapular, and am enrolled in the Carmelite, Servite, and Marian confraternities, and as a spiritual member of the Third Order of the Most Holy Trinity. So you are not alone.

There are three aspects to the scapular:

1. The purpose of a scapular (or scapular medal) is to serve as an external sign of the filial relationship established between The Holy Trinity, Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Blessed Virgin Mary, or a Saint (such as St. Joseph), and the faithful who entrust themselves, based upon the type of scapular.

2. The scapular is associated with an order. Being in a confraternity or spiritual union with a Third Order means that certain daily prayers are made for the other members in the confraternity. The members help each other.

3. Indulgences are available to eastern Catholics as well as Latin Catholics.
    a) The members may obtain partial or plenary indulgences (under the usual conditions) by wearing the scapular on certain days.
    b) Also the faithful who devoutly use an article of devotion (crucifix or cross, rosary, scapular, or medal) properly blessed by any priest, obtain a partial indulgence.

Fivefold 1910 A.D. Redemptorist Sacramental (originally 4 scapulars):

1. White (The Holy Trinity) 1198 A.D.

Order: Trinitarians; Third Order of The Most Blessed Trinity

2. Brown (Our Lady of Mt. Carmel) 1251 A.D.
    Order: Carmelite Order
    Confraternity of the Brown Scapular

3. Black (Our Lady of Seven Sorrows) 1255 A.D.
    Order: Servite Order (Order of Friar Servants of Mary)
    Confraternity of the Seven Dolours of Mary

4. Blue (Immaculate Conception) 1605 A.D. (habit 1484 A.D.)

Orders: Conceptionists, Theatines, Marians.
    Confraternity of the Immaculate Conception

5. Red (Passion of Our Lord) 1847 A.D.
    Order: Priests of the Mission (Lazarists, Vincentians, Paules)

Thank you so much- you've really helped me figure that one out- much :tiphat:appreciated!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.