Question about ccc

Not sure if right section but I had a question about the ccc 161

161 Believing in Jesus Christ and in the One who sent him for our salvation is necessary for obtaining that salvation. “Since “without faith it is impossible to please [God]” and to attain to the fellowship of his sons, therefore without faith no one has ever attained justification, nor will anyone obtain eternal life ‘But he who endures to the end.’”

my question is when it says believing in jesus, does that simply mean jesus is son of god messiah? or does it entail putting faith in him as personal Savior who died on cross for our sins?

thanks.

Faith in Christ yes involves his death and resurrection -which is the heart of the Gospel. And one yes believes he is the Christ the Messiah…the Lord

Scripture does not use the terms “personal Lord and Savior” but yes one is to believe in Jesus as ones Lord and yes he is our Savior.

“Happy are you who believe!” (cf 1 Peter 2:7). Let us turn to Jesus! He alone is the way that leads to eternal happiness, the truth who satisfies the deepest longings of every heart, and the life who brings ever new joy and hope, to us and to our world."

~ Pope Benedict XVI (Homily at Yankee Stadium)

Thank you both. My question would be than when a catholic believes in jesus as savior and lord, that is not just a mental aspect correct? you are not just called to mentally believe it right? how does it apply to your life or heart?

Most certainly not :slight_smile:

“Being Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction.”

~ Pope Benedict XVI Deus Caritas Est

To every thing.

He is Lord.

“Happy are you who believe!” (cf 1 Peter 2:7). Let us turn to Jesus! He alone is the way that leads to eternal happiness, the truth who satisfies the deepest longings of every heart, and the life who brings ever new joy and hope, to us and to our world."

~ Pope Benedict XVI (Homily at Yankee Stadium)

Jesus of Nazareth is the meaning of my life (and of everything)!

He is the Way the Truth and the Life. True life is in him!

I say with Saint Paul daily: “I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” (RSV CE)

“I invite all Christians, everywhere, at this very moment, to a renewed personal encounter with Jesus Christ, or at least an openness to letting him encounter them; I ask all of you to do this unfailingly each day. No one should think that this invitation is not meant for him or her, since “no one is excluded from the joy brought by the Lord”.”

~ Pope Francis (Joy of the Gospel)

“Faith opens us to knowing and welcoming the real identity of Jesus, his newness and oneness, his word, as a source of life, in order to live a personal relationship with him. Knowledge of the faith grows, it grows with the desire to find the way and in the end it is a gift of God who does not reveal himself to us as an abstract thing without a face or a name, because faith responds to a Person who wants to enter into a relationship of deep love with us and to involve our whole life.”

~ Pope Benedict XVI (Sunday, 14 August 2011)

(just a couple of examples)

well you have answered my questions thank you very much god bless. great qoutes from the pope’s.

I am reading through the ccc and will be back with more thanks.

Your quite welcome.

I do not always go to this section - so feel free to pm me if I can be of any further help.

Thank you for taking the time to provide the wonderful quotes and answers, Bookcat.
God Bless,

Mary.

Just remember, though… if you believe in Christ, you have to make a serious try to do His will, and to follow His commandments and teaching.

Like they say, “Even the demons believe, and tremble!” But the demons understanding factually that Jesus Christ is God doesn’t mean that they try to obey him. Just the opposite! They don’t love Him, they don’t want to know Him, they don’t want to follow Him.

So believe, but also keep trying to show Him that you believe!

It is Jesus that you seek when you dream of happiness; He is waiting for you when nothing else you find satisfies you; He is the beauty to which you are so attracted; it is He who provoked you with that thirst for fullness that will not let you settle for compromise; it is He who urges you to shed the masks of a false life; it is He who reads in your heart your most genuine choices, the choices that others try to stifle.

***It is Jesus who ***stirs in you the desire to do something great with your lives, the will to follow an ideal, the refusal to allow yourselves to be ground down by mediocrity, the courage to commit yourselves humbly and patiently to improving yourselves and society, making the world more human and more fraternal.”

― Pope John Paul II, World Youth Day, 2000.

FWIW.

This is what we believe:

The Nicene Creed

I believe in one God,
the Father almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all things visible and invisible.

I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ,
the Only Begotten Son of God,
born of the Father before all ages.
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father;
through him all things were made.
For us men and for our salvation
he came down from heaven,
and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary,
and became man.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate,
he suffered death and was buried,
and rose again on the third day
in accordance with the Scriptures.
He ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory
to judge the living and the dead
and his kingdom will have no end.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son,
who with the Father and the Son is adored and glorified,
who has spoken through the prophets.

I believe in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church.
I confess one Baptism for the forgiveness of sins
and I look forward to the resurrection of the dead
and the life of the world to come. Amen.

We are called to have a continued conversion, every day striving to become more like HIM, a process that will continue until we die.

Another helpful way of discovering some of the meanings is to research the etymology of some of the words (The Catholic Church was in existence before the English language and really expresses many things in term the root meanings).

For example:

be·lief
bəˈlēf/
noun
noun: belief; plural noun: beliefs

1 faith, trust, or confidence in someone or something.

2 a religious conviction.
“Christian beliefs”, “Christian faith”

synonyms: ideology, principle, ethic, tenet, canon; More
doctrine, teaching, dogma, article of faith, creed, credo

That line in the Catechism refers to the necessity for us to have complete faith in Jesus Christ. We should believe in everything the Bible teaches us about Him; everything He did; everything He said; and everything He taught us about Himself, His Father and the Holy Spirit. We should have complete confidence that He always spoke the truth. We should not have any doubts about Him, at all. That’s how deep our faith in Him should be. With that kind of faith, we should not hesitate to follow whatever He taught us, because He came into this world and did everything He did out of pure love for all of us. We just need to truly believe it with our whole heart, or we will never be able to truly follow Him. Faith is the key to our Salvation.

Mt 8:5 As he entered Caper′na-um, a centurion came forward to him, beseeching him 6 and saying, “Lord, my servant is lying paralyzed at home, in terrible distress.” 7 And he said to him, “I will come and heal him.” 8 But the centurion answered him, “Lord, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof; but only say the word, and my servant will be healed. 9 For I am a man under authority, with soldiers under me; and I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes, and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes, and to my slave, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.” 10 When Jesus heard him, he marveled, and said to those who followed him, “Truly, I say to you, not evenc] in Israel have I found such faith.

The centureon was probably a pagan. Yet look at his belief in Jesus. Not just recognition but confidence. Belief is not just an intellectual acknowledgment, but action.

As His blessed mother said to the servants who witnessed her son’s first miracle in public life, (changing water into wine)

Do (i.e. obey) whatever He says John 2:5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.