Question about celebration of Mass

Hello all,

I have attended my first Mass today, and while it was both a pleasant and an overwhelming experience, I was left with a question:

After Communion, and before the "official" end of the Mass (i.e. before the dismissal), a Novena (or preparation for a novena, bear with me, I'm new to all of this) to St. Anthony and the Litany of the Sacred Heart were prayed.

Is this a "correct" way of celebrating Mass? Should these prayers be included before the dismissal?

I've read about the Concluding Rites in the GIRM, and something doesn't add up... Sorry if I'm offending anyone, and thanks in advance for your answers.

Hi there,

Congratulations on your first mass! It will take a little while but nevertheless you will start to pick up on the order of the mass and what happens. The mass is very sacred and rewarding but also confusing, especially since parts of it change throughout the liturgical season.

If you would like to elaborate on this some more that would be helpful because I am not sure what you are talking about. Check this post out as far as the recitation of the litany, I am not really sure how to respond to that being prayed.forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=271697

Thank you so much for your detailed answer! So at least the novena part was definitely ok.

[quote="Zooman77, post:2, topic:329525"]
If you would like to elaborate on this some more that would be helpful because I am not sure what you are talking about. Check this post out as far as the recitation of the litany, I am not really sure how to respond to that being prayed.forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=271697

[/quote]

What I meant was that I read the part about the Concluding Rites in the GIRM, and I don't see how the Litany fits in there. To be honest I enjoyed the Litany a lot, because the response was so easy ("have mercy on us"), and I could respond each time - I tended to keep my mouth shut at the beginning of Mass, but I opened up more and more during (I knew some responses, e.g. "and with your spirit" or the Our Father), and most during the Litany.

It's just that it was all a new and very interesting experience (a bit confusing as well, but I guess that gets better with time, there were so many things in the Cathedral as well which attracted my attention, since they aren't present in Protestant places of worship - stained glass, statues, and so on), and I want to make sure that I took part in a "legitimate" Mass (it being a Roman Catholic Cathedral I don't think it can get much more legitimate, but you never know)...

Anyway, I kinda feel the need to go again, the problem is that I can only barely make the last Mass of the day, and even that only if I go to work early so I can leave early as well :(

This could be a long one…

I grew up SDA but with not a lot of emphasis on Ellen White, and not a lot of anti-Catholic sentiment: I did however think that Catholics make a big mistake by praying to Mary and the Saints and by, well, doing most of the things which Evangelicals constantly criticize.

When I was a kid I lived in Austria for a while, and went into a few Catholic churches (as a tourist)… and to be honest I always felt at home in there, I felt… right somehow - at the time I didn’t know much about Catholic beliefs, but now I kinda think it was because of the Real Presence.

Fast forward to last fall, when I started having doubts about my faith… and I mean huge doubts - at first just about Adventism, then about Christianity and religion as a whole. I slowly but surely became an atheist, and even proclaimed this to my parents and my colleagues at work (which I am now very ashamed of).

A few weeks ago I… I guess miraculously started recovering from my atheism. But then the old doubts about Adventism and which Christian church is the true one came back. I came to this forum again to look for more answers, and I actually signed up to defend the SDA church from a claim here on the forum - only to find out that there are some quotes from Ellen White which I can’t possibly agree with.

So here I am, not an atheist anymore, but I also can’t really be an Adventist anymore.

The Catholic Church has always interested me, and has always drawn me closer (maybe it’s the influence of the Holy Spirit), and to be honest I don’t really have a problem with any Catholic beliefs anymore - I see it this way: if the Church has authority to decide on these matters, then what She says is true has to be true. I would also like to acknowledge the roles of Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen on the one hand, and St. Philomena (who I always felt very drawn to, even before I considered Catholicism, only from discovering the Wikipedia article about her) on the other, in drawing me closer to Roman Catholicism…

So, after looking up A LOT of stuff on the internet about the Catholic Church, and watching Masses online, I decided that I have to experience Mass for myself, so here am I today after my first Mass visit, worried that it might somehow not have been 100% right… OCD much?

As I said, I really feel like I should go again, and maybe start RCIA as well… the only thing that’s stopping me is the thought that my father takes my “rebellion” against the SDA church as a rebellion against him personally, although that’s definitely not the case - after all, he was the one who introduced me to God, I love him very much, and we get along great… it’s just that Adventism led me to atheism, and apostolic succession and a visible uniting factor (the Pope) are hard to come by anywhere other than the CC…

Sorry for the long post (and maybe for the poor quality of writing/incoherence, it’s 1:26 AM here), but you asked for it :smiley:

[quote="Gicutzu, post:5, topic:329525"]
This could be a long one...

I grew up SDA but with not a lot of emphasis on Ellen White, and not a lot of anti-Catholic sentiment: I did however think that Catholics make a big mistake by praying to Mary and the Saints and by, well, doing most of the things which Evangelicals constantly criticize.

When I was a kid I lived in Austria for a while, and went into a few Catholic churches (as a tourist)... and to be honest I always felt at home in there, I felt... right somehow - at the time I didn't know much about Catholic beliefs, but now I kinda think it was because of the Real Presence.

Fast forward to last fall, when I started having doubts about my faith... and I mean huge doubts - at first just about Adventism, then about Christianity and religion as a whole. I slowly but surely became an atheist, and even proclaimed this to my parents and my colleagues at work (which I am now very ashamed of).

A few weeks ago I... I guess miraculously started recovering from my atheism. But then the old doubts about Adventism and which Christian church is the true one came back. I came to this forum again to look for more answers, and I actually signed up to defend the SDA church from a claim here on the forum - only to find out that there are some quotes from Ellen White which I can't possibly agree with.

So here I am, not an atheist anymore, but I also can't really be an Adventist anymore.

The Catholic Church has always interested me, and has always drawn me closer (maybe it's the influence of the Holy Spirit), and to be honest I don't really have a problem with any Catholic beliefs anymore - I see it this way: if the Church has authority to decide on these matters, then what She says is true has to be true. I would also like to acknowledge the roles of Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen on the one hand, and St. Philomena (who I always felt very drawn to, even before I considered Catholicism, only from discovering the Wikipedia article about her) in drawing me closer to Roman Catholicism...

So, after looking up A LOT of stuff on the Internet about the Catholic Church, and watching Masses online, I decided that I have to experience Mass for myself, so here am I today after my first Mass visit, worried that it might somehow not have been 100% right... OCD much?

As I said, I really feel like I should go again, and maybe start RCIA as well... the only thing that's stopping me is the thought that my father takes my "rebellion" against the SDA church as a rebellion against him personally, although that's definitely not the case - after all, he was the one who introduced me to God, I love him very much, and we get along great... it's just that Adventism led me to atheism, and apostolic succession and a visible uniting factor (the Pope) are hard to come by anywhere else...

Sorry for the long post (and maybe for the poor quality of writing/incoherence, it's 1:26 AM here), but you asked for it :D

[/quote]

That's great that you were open to letting the Holy Spirit guide you, and not be stubborn about the truth. Congratulations btw on signing up to rcia. By the way, I know that you mentioned about having signed up to defend the SDA here in the forums.

How did you resolve the issues with Mary, the saints, infant baptism (which I know the SDA is strongly against, and Saturday vs Sunday worship

[quote="chero23, post:6, topic:329525"]
That's great that you were open to letting the Holy Spirit guide you, and not be stubborn about the truth. Congratulations btw on signing up to rcia. By the way, I know that you mentioned about having signed up to defend the SDA here in the forums.

How did you resolve the issues with Mary, the saints, infant baptism (which I know the SDA is strongly against, and Saturday vs Sunday worship

[/quote]

I haven't signed up for RCIA yet, but am considering it... like I said, I'm worried about offending my dad and ruining my very good relationship with him...

About the beliefs, like I said... I only needed to believe that the CC is the Church founded by Jesus through Peter, and invested with apostolic succession/authority. After accepting that fact, everything else I basically had to accept, because it's either ALL true or ALL false. I also read a lot (even here on the forum) about the specific Catholic beliefs, and the evidence is definitely there, including the scriptural evidence which Protestants seek after so much.

I apologize, I re read the rcia part and I thought I saw you put that you had signed up. Theirs a lot of good resources. You can hear a lot of apologetics from Tim staples, Scott Hahn, just to mention a few on YouTube. I use the website scripture catholic that has a lot of good resources.

I’ve been in your shoes – I am the daughter of a Baptist minister, and came into the Catholic Church in 2009. My family was not too happy at the time, but they have all come around (my sister is now Catholic too.) Had a very long and good conversation tonight telling my elderly mother about what the Church believes, and she was very supportive. The second paragraph you said is so exactly the way I came to believe before I came into the Church – that it’s either all true, or all false.

And I remember being in Mass and it being overwhelming and beckoning as well as just comfortable as comfortable could be. During RCIA I started yearning for the time I would receive communion. Sometimes now when I’m in the choir I look over at the place I sat that very first time I entered that building and didn’t know anyone. I prayed, not exactly asking for a sign, but telling God how I wish I knew someone there. At the sign of peace a couple turned around to exchange the sign of peace, and I knew them from earlier years when we had all attended the local Baptist Church. God bless you in your journey, and I will keep you in my prayers.

Thank you so much for your encouragement! I was also praying when I was sitting in church, before Mass began, and asked God to make me a good Catholic if He has led me to this Church, and to maybe lead my loved ones to Catholicism as well, if that’s His will.

I also think Satan is not too happy about me going to Mass: when I was on my way to the Cathedral I started getting scared and thinking that I should go some other time, or maybe never go at all; and then, after I went, the doubts about the “validity” of the Mass started, which I posted here - maybe Satan saw that I felt good and at home during Mass, and that I want to go again, and is trying to deter me as much as possible.

First of all, sorry for double-posting, but I went to Mass again yesterday and the doubts returned even stronger. I know I'm being a bit over-scrupulous and not trusting the priest who celebrates, but I keep looking for an answer in the GIRM as to whether what is being done is correct or not...

So, after Communion, and (I think) before the prayer after communion, (or maybe after the prayer but before the concluding rites), the Litany of the Sacred Heart of Jesus was sung again. I've read a bit more in the GIRM, and maybe it fits into this category:

1. When the distribution of Communion is finished, as circumstances suggest, the priest and faithful spend some time praying privately. If desired,** a psalm or other canticle of praise or a hymn** may also be sung by the entire congregation.

The Litany was sung and the congregation provided the responses (also sung).

Then, after the Litany was over, there followed the Angelus and a short prayer to St. Joseph (and another one which I'm not able to find on the internet, about an angel and the perils of the night or something like this - it's hard for me to find the prayers since I hear them in a language other than English, and they are new to me).

Are all of these prayers supposed to be said during Mass? I fully understand that there is nothing wrong with them and they are beautiful prayers, I'm just not sure that they are supposed to be prayed during Mass, and I'm not sure why priests in a Cathedral would not be following the Roman Missal... :ouch: In the Masses I see online there are never extra prayers inserted... if anyone could help me alleviate my doubts, that would be great, since I'm really confused now (I wasn't expecting so much variation when it comes to Catholic Masses...)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.