Question about change in ending of the prayer at the end of Holy Confession

Did anything change when "I firmly resolve, with the help of your grace: 'to confess my sins, do penance and amend my life' (apparently with V2) changed to 'to sin no more and avoid the near occasion of sin'?" Is it a lie if you feel your relations are a near occasion, but, if you're weak and/or demoralized by living in a licentious atmosphere, moving to a new town or joining a religious community is not going to work out at some time or another. Is it like a lie, then?

Thanks!

I never really got the "firmly resolving to confess my sins part" as you're already confessing your sins at the time, so you probably believe in it or your parents or private school is making you do it and they probably will again if you don't go regularly.

Did anything change when "I firmly resolve, with the help of your grace: 'to confess my sins, do penance and amend my life' (apparently with V2) changed to 'to sin no more and avoid the near occasion of sin'?"

I didn't realize this changed. I came up way after V2 and the Act of Contrition I learned was the one that ended with "I firmly resolve..."

Is it a lie if you feel your relations are a near occasion, but, if you're weak and/or demoralized by living in a licentious atmosphere, moving to a new town or joining a religious community is not going to work out at some time or another. Is it like a lie, then?

I don't think its a lie. Many a saint and holy person lived around people and areas that were obvious "near occasions", the difference was they were able to resist the temptation in their own persons and reach out to try to change the world around them. If it is impossible for you to remove the obstacles, you have to ask the Lord for the strength and virtue to resist them. And if you stumble, that's why we have confession.

I never really got the "firmly resolving to confess my sins part" as you're already confessing your sins at the time, so you probably believe in it or your parents or private school is making you do it and they probably will again if you don't go regularly.

I might be wrong, but I always took it as 1) if you are being made to go by parents or school, to resolve to do it on your own, 2) it is a confirmation of your beliefs in the Catholic Church since Protestants churches for the most part don't even believe in private confession and 3) You can and should say the Act of the Contrition outside of Confession, too, and that would be a resolution to go.

[quote="foolishmortal, post:1, topic:180354"]
Did anything change when "I firmly resolve, with the help of your grace: 'to confess my sins, do penance and amend my life' (apparently with V2) changed to 'to sin no more and avoid the near occasion of sin'?" Is it a lie if you feel your relations are a near occasion, but, if you're weak and/or demoralized by living in a licentious atmosphere, moving to a new town or joining a religious community is not going to work out at some time or another. Is it like a lie, then?

Thanks!

[/quote]

There is no one formula for the act of contrition. You are free to use the one from before V-2 that you prefer.

You try to balance truth telling with charity with some people and you just run out of steam, such as worrying that telling someone what they’ll do is a mortal sin not knowing if they’ll do it anyway, but now having full knowledge, or if they’ll be concerned. You start to lose morale, like you’ll never get out of the situation unless you move to a place whewre no one knows you and you either find a job in a devout Catholic workplace or you become a hermit. Otherwise, you’ll have people with all kinds of mixed relationships and you feel obligated to watch out for their souls while trying not to damn your own if you’d go along so the hedons, who should know, don’t know it’s a serious sin. At the same time, you realize you’re probably being prideful by not trusting God to work things out. If people blaspheme, you feel responsible, but you have to pick your battles and words or else others might do wrong because they think you’re a jerk or being a jerk and pair that with the message and the original source of it.

When you’re scrupulous, you feel you just can’t win. It’s damned you or somebody if you do; damned you or someone else if you don’t. You watch something like Seinfeld to fight scrupulosity, but feel like you’re sinning and you’re scandalizing those who are not so religious if they know you like it, even if many devout Catholics do watch some risque shows.

You want to go to Confession, but you’ll screw up somehow and so you feel you can’t firmly resolve to not do anything and so you lose confidence in God and hate yourself.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.