Question about communion and mass

Hi,

i am currently in the rcia program to convert to catholicism and i must admit i find it a little confusing. I'm planning to get baptised in March, and i was wondering about communion and how i get confirmed and when i receive my first communion, is it done on the same day/different day?

Also as a very recent convert i have been to mass once and felt i couldnt properly join in as i didnt know what to say, the priest said words and the congrigation spoke words back are they common phrases held in every mass? if so what are they

thank you

Welcome Home!

Usually with the RCIA program, you would receive all three sacraments of initiation at the same time, at the Easter Vigil service. This is the highest and most celebrated Mass the Church has, and it is intentional that you are welcomed into the Church during this celebration.

The Easter Vigil mass is held on the Saturday night before Easter Sunday. It is the culmination of the Triduum (means 3 days - Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday). It ushers in the Easter season.

The three sacraments are Baptism, then Confirmation, and then Eucharist/Communion.

As for not knowing what is going on, take a look at the missal that should be in the pew. It should have the entire layout of the the entire Mass, plus all the responses for the congregation.

I am concerned that you appear to be completely lost with the Mass though. It is almost Lent and I’m concerned that you don’t seem to have a good grasp on some basics of the Christian faith. I would discuss this with your RCIA director and your Pastor, ASAP.

God bless!

Thank you for your quick reply, i have to completely agree i started the program late 2 weeks ago it had been going on since September. In the meetings i often feel a little lost if i had to give my knowledge of the christian faith a number on the scale of 1-10 i would most definitly be a 1, but i want to learn and commit myself to a life of faith so i am learning.

When i attended mass last time there was nothing in the pews, no one was reading from anything it was done by memory this is why i want to learn it and commit to memory for next time i attend :)

Why not ask someone at your parish where the nearest Catholic bookstore is. If you are lucky enough to have one in your town, go to it and buy a Catholic Missal. It will have everything about the Holy Week and Easter rituals and masses. You might also ask the clerk about other books that will help you in seeking information about the Church.

[quote="sunshine1088, post:3, topic:313286"]
Thank you for your quick reply, i have to completely agree i started the program late 2 weeks ago it had been going on since September. In the meetings i often feel a little lost if i had to give my knowledge of the christian faith a number on the scale of 1-10 i would most definitly be a 1, but i want to learn and commit myself to a life of faith so i am learning.

When i attended mass last time there was nothing in the pews, no one was reading from anything it was done by memory this is why i want to learn it and commit to memory for next time i attend :)

[/quote]

Don't worry about committing it to memory that fast. No one expects that much. You will learn the responses by heart after hearing it every Sunday. It just takes some time. More importantly is to be attentive and prayerful, and recognize WHO is present at the Mass (Christ Himself). If you are interested, here is a link to what I believe is an accurate rendering of the order of the Mass. (Notice that some sections have multiple variations that can be used depending on the Mass and preference of the priest.)

old.usccb.org/romanmissal/order-of-mass.pdf

As this is almost Lent (which is the 40 days before Easter), and Lent begins February 13th, and your admitted knowledge of the Catholic faith is a 1, I would highly encourage that you not be initiated this Easter Vigil. I would encourage you to remain in RCIA through Easter, and re-enroll in September this year. That would allow you to fully explore the faith, ask all your questions, and really learn the faith. Becoming Catholic entails a lot of rights AND responsibilities that you should know about before doing so. I encourage you to speak with your pastor and RCIA director, and let them know your situation, speak with them frankly about your questions, and let them know that you feel lost and don't know much about the faith. They will be able to make a good decision.

I remember that feeling what are they doing here. My idea for you is the next mass you go to look for a smiling face set down and say I am new here can you help me. I say this because it took me few weeks to do it but it was great I got help and a new friend I still have, I have been in the church for 23 years . They have been mostly good.:)

It looks like you have some great answers. I was just going to say my favorite thing about this type of subject.

Depending on the missal in the pew, there is a chance you can follow along with the mass from the missal there. If it seems like it's almost all music, you can buy a missal that will help you through.

If you want to go with 'really easy', buy magnifikid's. They are little missal's that guide through each Sunday, they are great. The target audience is obviously, kids, but they have the whole mass front to back words and responses. Plus little bits of information surrounding the readings for the day.

They come in 1 little book per week, you can buy a month set of them at a time.

The adult version is Magnificat I believe, but with a new catholic feeling lost at mass, the small number of pages with Magnifikid is great.

On the first kneel down, the eucharistic prayers 1-4 (I believe it's 4 total), should be in the missal in the pew. Usually the priests in our area go with prayer 2 or 3.

Take care,

When I returned to the Church last year after a long absence, I was very rusty with the prayers and responses.(And with your spirit?!!? Lol) I ordered one of the pew missals online. ( Word and Song WLP publishing). It has the complete order of Mass at the front. A half hour a night brushing up and I was good to go. Good luck!

When I returned to the Church last year after a long absence, I was very rusty with the prayers and responses.(And with your spirit?!!? Lol) I ordered one of the pew missals online. ( Word and Song WLP publishing). It has the complete order of Mass at the front. A half hour a night brushing up and I was good to go. Good luck!

[quote="sunshine1088, post:1, topic:313286"]
Hi,
Also as a very recent convert i have been to mass once and felt i couldnt properly join in as i didnt know what to say, the priest said words and the congrigation spoke words back are they common phrases held in every mass? if so what are they

[/quote]

The words are in the Roman Missal's Order of Mass, which is at old.usccb.org/romanmissal/order-of-mass.pdf .

Lots of Eucharistic Prayers are in this document. Only one is used in each Mass.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.