Question about confession

Does one order of priesthood tend to give heavier penances than others?

I'm soon going to be going to confession for the first time in 20 years. I've broken a lot of rules, so I would like to know what I'm getting in to.

[quote="SeekerDude, post:1, topic:305575"]
Does one order of priesthood tend to give heavier penances than others?

I'm soon going to be going to confession for the first time in 20 years. I've broken a lot of rules, so I would like to know what I'm getting in to.

[/quote]

Don't worry about the penance; the most I've ever gotten is 20 minutes of Bible reading/praying. With someone returning after a long time, the priest is likely to be extra lenient, so as not to discourage you from returning.

Focus on the positives of getting right with God, and the wonderful forgiveness and graces you will receive.

God Bless!

[quote="bilop, post:2, topic:305575"]
Don't worry about the penance; the most I've ever gotten is 20 minutes of Bible reading/praying. With someone returning after a long time, the priest is likely to be extra lenient, so as not to discourage you from returning.

Focus on the positives of getting right with God, and the wonderful forgiveness and graces you will receive.

God Bless!

[/quote]

Thank you.

Truth be told I was hoping for a heavy penance. I guess I'll have to tack pride onto the list.

[quote="SeekerDude, post:3, topic:305575"]
Thank you.

Truth be told I was hoping for a heavy penance. I guess I'll have to tack pride onto the list.

[/quote]

You're very welcome.

You can always do more penance! More penance on earth means less time in purgatory.

God Bless

You can always request more after the Priest gives you penance.

I remember my first major confession. I was in 3rd or 4th grade and the priest gave me the hardest penance of my young life. I had stolen some candy from one of those Bach Displays and the penance was to pray for 2 minutes in the church. The longest 2 minutes of my young life.

Afterward I remember feeling so great as I rode my bike home. Probably my most perfect confession.

[quote="bilop, post:4, topic:305575"]
You're very welcome.

You can always do more penance! More penance on earth means less time in purgatory.

God Bless

[/quote]

I'll probably be in there a long time either way. ;)

On the Saturday of Palm Sunday weekend I went to confession for the first time in 50+ years. The priest was far more gentle and understanding than I had any right to expect.
One suggestion --- it was my experience that it was far easier to get God's forgivness than to forgive yourself. I'm still working on that.

Good luck.

[quote="SeekerDude, post:6, topic:305575"]
I'll probably be in there a long time either way. ;)

[/quote]

You won't be alone.

The most I ever received was a rosary after being away for 10 years. Keep in mind the more penance you're given the more temporal punishment due to sin is removed.

One time my daughter asked me to accompany her to Confession. She was in a state of mortal sin and I guess wanted support from me to make sure she went.
While I was there I decided to have Confession too although at that time I did not have any mortal sins to confess.
Afterwards she asked what penance I got. I won't say what the penances were but to my surprise my penance for only venial sins was heavier than her penance for mortal sins. She smiled at me!

[quote="thistle, post:10, topic:305575"]
One time my daughter asked me to accompany her to Confession. She was in a state of mortal sin and I guess wanted support from me to make sure she went.
While I was there I decided to have Confession too although at that time I did not have any mortal sins to confess.
Afterwards she asked what penance I got. I won't say what the penances were but to my surprise my penance for only venial sins was heavier than her penance for mortal sins. She smiled at me!

[/quote]

Maybe the priest likes the out of the ordinary. ;)

Penance is oftentimes given in an attempt to help the penitent over come a sin. Thus for instance, someone if they confessed to not praying might be given several prayer sessions to help them establish a habit of prayer. This is not necessarily a reflection of the gravity of their sin.

[quote="Fr_Michael_Grac, post:12, topic:305575"]
Penance is oftentimes given in an attempt to help the penitent over come a sin. Thus for instance, someone if they confessed to not praying might be given several prayer sessions to help them establish a habit of prayer. This is not necessarily a reflection of the gravity of their sin.

[/quote]

Thank you, Father. That makes sense, especially as to how some venial sins seem to get a heavier penance.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.