Question about Confession

Are those who aren’t bapitized allowed to go to confession?

[quote="raven12, post:1, topic:333592"]
Are those who aren't bapitized allowed to go to confession?

[/quote]

No! You must first go through RCIA. When you receive the sacraments of initiation: Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist, Baptism will forgive all your sins. Once you are received into the Church you may then go to confession.

Strictly speaking no.

But I have heard cases of atheists or non-Catholic christians going to Confession out of total despair and sheer desperation and confusing the poor Priest.

Sometimes people just need someone to talk or vent to.

Ah ok thank you both.

Baptism is the "entry" sacrament.

Are those who aren't baptized allowed to go to confession?

[/quote]

Perhaps it is best to answer this question in two parts....
Yes those who aren't baptized can go to confession (who's going to stop them? :nunchuk:)
They might even receive a peace - and understanding - and some grace....surely they will receive some guidance from the priest

What they cannot receive is absolution.

Yet even without a formal absolution, if the person is sincere - as mentioned by "savingrace" above they come out of desperation - such an act could be the first mighty act on their part to enter God's kingdom.

Peace
James

[quote="Bergon, post:2, topic:333592"]
No! You must first go through RCIA. When you receive the sacraments of initiation: Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist, Baptism will forgive all your sins. Once you are received into the Church you may then go to confession.

[/quote]

No, that's not quite right. Many enter the Church without RCIA, so RCIA has nothing to do with it.

If a person has received a Trinitarian baptism and is entering the church, as candidates , they will receive the sacrament of reconciliation before receiving the Blessed Sacrament.

Those who are Catechumens have no requirement to confession prior to receiving the Eucharist, if the other sacraments of initiation are following baptism for entry into the Church (as in the Easter Vigil).

Peace and all good!

It is both accurate and precise.

That is the case if the person is coming from another Christian church or ecclesial community into the Catholic Church.

It has everything to do with the OP’s question. Please read post #1 again. The OP says they are not baptised.

Yes, that’s true if they’re being received into the Catholic Church having been a member of another Christian church or ecclesial community with valid baptism. That is not the OP’s case.

That is not accurate. Catechumens cannot go to confession. At their Christian initiation catechumens receive three sacraments, viz: Baptism, Confirmation and Communion. Their baptism absolves them of all their sins. They will not need to go to confession until the first time they sin after receiving the sacraments of initiation.

[quote="Bergon, post:8, topic:333592"]
It is both accurate and precise.

That is the case if the person is coming from another Christian church or ecclesial community into the Catholic Church.

It has everything to do with the OP's question. Please read post #1 again. The OP says they are not baptised.

Yes, that's true if they're being received into the Catholic Church having been a member of another Christian church or ecclesial community with valid baptism. That is not the OP's case.

That is not accurate. Catechumens cannot go to confession. At their Christian initiation catechumens receive three sacraments, viz: Baptism, Confirmation and Communion. Their baptism absolves them of all their sins. They will not need to go to confession until the first time they sin after receiving the sacraments of initiation.

[/quote]

Sorry you must have misunderstood.

Catechumens nor candidates are not required to attend RCIA. In fact the preferred method is individual instruction by a bishop or a priest.

Only at the Easter vigil do catechumens receive all 3 sacraments of initiation. There are times throughout the year (lent excluded) when some catechumens will not receive all three sacraments on the same day.

Catechumens are not required confession prior to baptism, but as another poster pointed out, there is no a codified prohibition. granted, from a purely theological stand point, a priest may discourage it.

I was a catechumen, since my original Baptism was invalid for whatever reason. We were specifically told that we could not go to confession, and even candidates were not allowed to go until the appointed time before Vigil.

When it came time for our class to receive Confession before Vigil, I and the other catechumen in our class were allowed to enter the confessional, where the priest led us through a "dry run" that involved no absolution.

So no, catechumens may not receive Confession because they will be baptized, which washes away all sin up to that point. Even if you could receive the sacrament, it would be redundant and pointless, because Baptism removes the sins you would confess.

Am I correct in stating that to allow a catechumen access to Confession would be liturgical abuse? I want to say it is.

[quote="classica87, post:10, topic:333592"]
I was a catechumen, since my original Baptism was invalid for whatever reason. We were specifically told that we could not go to confession, and even candidates were not allowed to go until the appointed time before Vigil.

When it came time for our class to receive Confession before Vigil, I and the other catechumen in our class were allowed to enter the confessional, where the priest led us through a "dry run" that involved no absolution.

So no, catechumens may not receive Confession because they will be baptized, which washes away all sin up to that point. Even if you could receive the sacrament, it would be redundant and pointless, because Baptism removes the sins you would confess.

Am I correct in stating that to allow a catechumen access to Confession would be liturgical abuse? I want to say it is.

[/quote]

The question was whether they could go to confession, not whether they would receive sacramental graces that come only with absolution, so no, allowing catechumens access to confession is not liturgical abuse.

What, I think leads to much understanding is that the sacrament is Reconciliation, and confession is just part of it. We confess, are absolved, show contrition, then do penance before reconciliation with God is complete.

peace and all good!

[quote="Neofight, post:9, topic:333592"]
Sorry you must have misunderstood.

[/quote]

No, I have not misunderstood.

Catechumens nor candidates are not required to attend RCIA. In fact the preferred method is individual instruction by a bishop or a priest.

[/quote]

The question on which the thread is based is about converts, i.e. those not baptised. It might be easier if we stuck to talking about converts. I think you are confusing RCIA classes with the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults itself. Converts must undergo this Rite; they are the very people the Rite is for.

Only at the Easter vigil do catechumens receive all 3 sacraments of initiation. There are times throughout the year (lent excluded) when some catechumens will not receive all three sacraments on the same day.

[/quote]

Yes, I know when the sacraments of initiation are received. I don't understand the point you're making here.

Catechumens are not required confession prior to baptism, but as another poster pointed out, there is no a codified prohibition. granted, from a purely theological stand point, a priest may discourage it.

[/quote]

Catechumens cannot go to confession. No one may receive the sacraments until they have been baptised. As confession is a sacrament a convert/catechumen cannot go to confession.

[quote="Neofight, post:11, topic:333592"]
The question was whether they could go to confession, not whether they would receive sacramental graces that come only with absolution, so no, allowing catechumens access to confession is not liturgical abuse.

What, I think leads to much understanding is that the sacrament is Reconciliation, and confession is just part of it. We confess, are absolved, show contrition, then do penance before reconciliation with God is complete.

peace and all good!

[/quote]

Catechumens cannot go to confession. It is a sacrament. You cannot receive any sacrament (Confirmation, Eucharist, Absolution, Anointing of the Sick, Marriage or Holy Orders) unless you have received the sacrament of Baptism first. Baptism is the gateway to the other sacraments. So, a catechumen cannot go to confession.

[/quote]

Whether the unbaptized are prepared in a group or individually, by lay or clergy, they are in RCIA.
Your comment about preferred method is not correct.

It is normative pastoral practice for catechumens to receive all three sacraments of initiation in one celebration. EXCEPT FOR GRAVE REASONS, a priest or bishop who baptizes anyone over the age of discretion MUST also confer the sacraments of Confirmation and Eucharist to complete the initiatory sacraments. (see Canon Law #842:2, 866, 883. RCIA #305, National Statutes #14, 18, 35).

Catechumens are prohibited from receiving any sacrament prior to Baptism.

Are those who aren't bapitized allowed to go to confession?

[/quote]

They shouldn't go but if they did they would not receive absolution.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.