Question about Deacons

I know that deacons can be married, but are they able to get married?

What I mean is, if someone was dating a woman while he was entering the deaconate, but hadn’t yet married her, would he be able to marry her at all? Or does a deacon have to be married to retain his marriage in the deaconate as a permanent deacon?

[quote="HerrZJA, post:1, topic:249179"]
I know that deacons can be married, but are they able to get married?

What I mean is, if someone was dating a woman while he was entering the deaconate, but hadn't yet married her, would he be able to marry her at all? Or does a deacon have to be married to retain his marriage in the deaconate as a permanent deacon?

[/quote]

No. Once a man is ordained, his marriage status is fixed. If he is married, he stays married to his wife, but if she dies, he is not free to re-marry (there are some rare exceptions to this such as if the deacon has young children to care for). If a man is single, he must stay single for the rest of his life.

Peace

Tim

Hi,

Any man in the deaconate program knows that once he is ordained a deacon, he cannot enter the Sacrament of Matrimony.

Code of Canon law calls if a man is married that they do wait for some time before he is ordained a deacon, becuase the Church wants their marriage to be stable and the consent of the wife. [See Canon 1031 - paragraph 2]

I am sure that the man would have to get considerable input from his spiritual director and the Bishop of the diocese. I don't think they woud allow him to finish the deaconate program, they would tell him to focus on the decision of whether he wants to marry or not.

I will keep watching this thread and see if any of the deacons post on the site.

God bless.

Thanks Tim. I’m glad someone made that clear to me.

It should be noted that liturgical functions of the deacons, especially of the Eucharist, are intended to be a climax and a symbol they render to the communitty outside the liturgy of the other services. The following liturgical functions are assigned to deacons by the church:
to fucnction as deacon at celebrations of the Eucharist
to function as celebrant of the sacrament of baptism
to take Holy Communion to the sick in their homes, hospitals, etc
to servant of Benediction
to serve as celebrant at wake service
to function at marriaged

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.