Question about dying in Mortal Sin

Is dying in Mortal Sin a 100%, absolute, invariably-unchangeable sentencing to Hell under all circumstances with no chance of forgiveness, pardon, or re-sentencing whatsoever… Or is there even the slightest hope for those who die in this state of sin?

The Church teaches that there is no hope after death. The state after death is eternal, which is a word that means “outside of time”. There’s literally no time to repent as it were. The person who dies with mortal sin (distinct from grave sin, mind you) has made their rejection of God set in stone.

Edit: I don’t like sounding so doom-and-gloomy, but whatcha gonna do?

3 Likes

Let me tell you, it is pure hell!

2 Likes

It’s, like, literally the worst. Like, it’s like literally hell :wink:

Hypothetically:

George has mortally sinned and makes an appointment with his parish priest, which is three days away (earliest convenience to the priest). George is at home, and suffers a heart attack. He dies in a state of mortal sin.

That’s it for George? No mercy would be shown that he tried to be absolved and that he was truely contrite.

:hushed:

2 Likes

If he had perfect contrition for his sins, his sins would be forgiven if he planned to go to confession ASAP

Edit: He would be forgiven before death, not after

1 Like

Exactly what I thought. So there is hope. Also a priests absolves and does not forgive.

Another hypothetical:

Many of those who have been abused by clergy, may never make it back to the Church. Would they be sent to Hell?

1 Like

To clarify, since he was forgiven before absolution by the priest, sanctifying grace is on his soul before death. There is no hope after death as he’d go to at least Purgatory after death.

Concerning the second hypothetical, if they reject the Church knowing it was the one, true Church, well, what can I say? If the abuse has shattered their idea of the Catholic Church’s one-and-trueness, it’s logical to reject the Church.

Yes, but they only rejected the Church due to the clergy’s actions. I don’t think that it is as black and white as we all sometimes paint it.

Heck, I’ve had really bad confession experiences that are at best rude and at worst emotional abusive. This always means I have to find new confessional times at a different parish, and then overcome a large resistance and emotional turmoil to get there. It sometimes takes months and years between confessions if the last priest was … uncharitable, for the lack of a better word.

God knows I try and I keep trying. I pray for those priests, but they have severely damaged my faith.

1 Like

I’m sorry that the sacrament of Reconciliation has been tainted like that, LittleFlower

Yep, it is really quite awful. :worried: The last time was awful and very scarring. I’m currently trying to get to another parish, but I am walking around in mortal sin for the past eight weeks or more.

Listen, God loves you. He wants to reconcile himself to you because you belong to him. Trust in him and be absolved

Yes, I know this and I am trying.

However, it is physically nauseating to go into a confessional when you’ve had these experiences. I mean, I am very grateful it was only emotionally scarring and on the worse end, emotionally abusive.

I have full empathy to those who have been physically or sexually abused, and the damage it does to your faith life.

If he is truly contrite upon death then he is not in a state of mortal sin.

God is not playing a game of gotcha–He desires our salvation. He is also omnipotent. In my opinion, if you are in the state of mortal sin and are repentant and making your best effort to confess it, either God will make sure you make it to confession or, if you die beforehand, it means you didn’t need it (ie the sin was not actually mortal or you had perfect contrition).

1 Like

Is that to say that God may elongate one’s life beyond its intended limit to ensure their salvation?

Our lives have intended limits?

He’s the Lord of life and can do anything in that regard–plus, I’m not sure he has antecedently puts fixed limits on our lives (He of course sees the whole timeline as it will play out).

He grants anything we ask for that is conducive to our salvation (“Ask and you shall receive.”). If we pray with a contrite heart that He allow us to get to confession, He will. St. Alphonsus Liguori has a good book on prayer (Prayer: The Great Means of Salvation and Perfection) that elaborates on this point and provides additional proofs from Scripture and the Fathers and Doctors of the Church.

1 Like

Don’t self diagnose.

Clarification: A Priest would help with mitigating, if any. It might not be mortal.

What or who are you referring to?

Well, yes. But also no. It’s incredibly difficult after certain experiences to see it black and white.

If people, and specifically clergy, have crossed permissible lines—this can be in many different aspects—it isn’t as straight forward. Approaching a sacrament which has been … ruined, for the lack of a better words, by actions of clergy is incredibly difficult.

My case is incredibly mild. Those who have suffered sexual abuse by clergy, have had their faith more often than not destroyed. Perhaps they prayed once that the abuse would stop, and it didn’t. God also gives us and others free will. He doesn’t have to answer our prayers the way we see fit.

Maybe the struggle I am living through has it’s purpose, maybe it doesn’t. Maybe I am the issue, maybe the clergy I have seen are in need of dire help.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.