Question about dying in Mortal Sin

The answer is yes.

Having said that, you probably is asking what is actually ‘mortal sin’.

Put simply, it is grave matter, committed wilfully. If one dies without repenting, then one is separated from God or falls from grace.

In reality and because of the definition of mortal sin itself, there is no knowing whether the sin one commits really fall into its category.

In Catholicism, even though we may commit mortal sin, usually it is mitigated in some ways before we go for Confession by our desire to confess it.

With so many mitigating factors, like ignorance, plus the mercy of God, we can never be certain that we will go to hell. Unlike saints who are in heaven, the Church will never declare that a person is in hell, simply because we do not know their hearts and the distance the mercy of God that covers them.

St. Faustina had also one daily prayer that she never missed which was, “O Jesus inspire people to pray for the dying”. St. Faustina said that by prayer, “God’s mercy can touch the sinner even at the last moment, in a wondrous and mysterious way. Outwardly, it seems as if everything is lost, but it is not so. The soul, illumined by a ray of God’s powerful final grace, can turn to God even in the last moment, with such a power of love that in an instant, it receives from God, forgiveness of all sin and punishment, while outwardly it shows no sign either of repentance or of contrition, because souls [at that stage] no longer react to external things”. (Diary 1698)

Dante’s Purgatorio
The Unshriven: Violent Deaths

We are all souls who met a violent death,
and we were sinners to our final hour;
but then the light of Heaven lit our minds,

and penitent and pardoning, we left
that life at peace with God, Who left our hearts
with longing for the holy sight of Him.”

An Unpublished Manuscript on Purgatory

Excerpt :

I can tell you about the different degrees of Purgatory because I have passed through them. In the great Purgatory there are several stages. In the lowest and most painful, like a temporary hell, are the sinners who have committed terrible crimes during life and whose death surprised them in that state. It was almost a miracle that they were saved, and often by the prayers of holy parents or other pious persons. Sometimes they did not even have time to confess their sins and the world thought them lost, but God, whose mercy is infinite, gave them at the moment of death the contrition necessary for their salvation on account of one or more good actions which they performed during life. For such souls, Purgatory is terrible. It is a real hell with this difference, that in hell they curse God, whereas we bless Him and thank Him for having saved us.

If this was true, what would be the point in saying this prayer…

The Fatima Prayer: “O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, and lead all souls to Heaven, especially those in most need of Your Mercy”.

1257 Catechism of the Catholic Church:

God has bound salvation to the sacrament of Baptism, but he himself is not bound by his sacraments.

What you say is not correct. The Church INFALLIBLY teaches that anyone dying in a state of mortal sin will go immediately to Hell. The Church teaching is fully backed by the authority of Christ who said that whatever the Church binds on Earth is bound in Heaven. That means the infallible teaching of the Church is 100% the teaching of Christ. If anyone dying in a state of mortal sin did not go to Hell then it would mean Christ lied which we know is not possible.

It’s tough reading, but it’s true.

They do go to Hell , but some are saved from being there permanently, it’s God’s loophole of Mercy.

So why even bother praying for anybody ?

Could you explain this further?

Well according to some private revelations I read some people who died without confession go to the fourth level of Hell. So the Church is infallible Correct on that ,but the loophole is that by God’s grace and mercy they will be saved and go to heaven even if it takes centuries of being in Hell.They are going through a Hellish purgatory and no prayers can shorten it, because they forgot about God in this life, so God now forgets about them.

The Church does not make an declaration on specific cases of most mortal sins. It does not decide, in ordinary cases, whether someone sinned mortally. Thus I don’t see the relevance of that passage to most situations.

I would also be surprised if the Church taught that God was incapable of saving someone in mortal sin, unless we simply define “mortal sin” as “whatever condition God would not save someone in”. But maybe that is the Church teaching? Can any of you quote authoritative documents on this point?

The terms used here are wrong nevertheless, so that should be confined to ‘private revelation’.

Hell is eternal damnation. There is no chance of being saved once being judged to go there.

Purgatory, its condition can be like hell or better, is a state of purging before going to heaven. In other word, one is saved; it’s just a matter of time before one enters heaven.

Heaven is eternal life.

St. Faustina Divine Mercy Diary

I desire trust from My creatures. Encourage souls to place great trust in My fathomless mercy. Let the weak, sinful soul have no fear to approach Me, for even if it had more sins than there are grains of sand in the world, all would be drowned in the unmeasurable depths of My mercy. (1059)

Say unceasingly the chaplet that I have taught you. Whoever will recite it will receive great mercy at the hour of death. Priests will recommend it to sinners as their last hope of salvation. Even if there were a sinner most hardened, if he were to recite this chaplet only once, he would receive grace from My infinite mercy. I desire that the whole world know My infinite mercy. I desire to grant unimaginable graces to those souls who trust in My mercy. (687)

This is 100% approved by the Catholic Church. He can’t just be talking about venial sins, because those are forgiven just by going to communion.

There are a number of saints and writings that have said a person has a last chance to repent and turn to God. Depending on what you read, this reportedly happens at the point of death or in a split second immediately after death.

Since it is impossible to pinpoint the exact nanosecond when someone might be absolutely, without question, dead, especially in view of cases where somebody was declared dead and even had an out-of-body experience and then ended up back in their body and alive, we could argue over whether these people were actually not quite dead yet when this last chance choice happens.

It seems reasonable to me that a merciful God would give you one last chance, whether this happens a nanosecond before you are definitely dead, or a nanosecond after. Also, God’s time is not our time, so it’s very hard to even think in nanoseconds when it comes to God.

I believe you can be forgiven by God directly if you are contrite and have no possibillity to go to confession (God is, as we know, good). But if we go to confession we are guaranteed that our mortal sin(s) are forgiven, as Jesus promises in John 20, 22-23

Sure. The person is not yet judged and is not judged to hell.

In my earlier post I mentioned about the wide ranging definition of mortal sin, one of which is no repentance. One can repent at the time of death, and God’s mercy is surely with us; the reason why too, the Church does not declare anybody is in hell because we do not know their hearts.

However, once the judgement falls on the person, that his sin is mortal (no repentance), he would go to hell, and that judgment cannot be reversed.

To Techno2000.
Sorry but you are talking nonsense. Private revelations are NOT new doctrines of the Church nor are they additions to existing Church doctrine. They are simply private revelations which do not have to be believed (even if “approved” by the Church. The Church infallibly teaches with the full authority of God that anyone dying in a state of mortal sin goes immediately to Hell. Once in Hell there is no escape. To say someone can get out of Hell is heresy.

The Church teaches that one can be saved when one dies in a state of Mortal sin, here’s one way…

The Catechism of St. Pope Pius X :

Q. What are the effects of Extreme Unction?
A. The sacrament of Extreme Unction produces the following effects: (1) It increases
sanctifying grace; (2) It remits venial sins, and also mortal sins which the sick person, if
contrite, is unable to confess; (3) It takes away weakness and sloth which remain even
After pardon has been obtained; (4) It gives strength to bear illness patiently, to withstand
temptation and to die holily; (5) It aids in restoring us to health of body if it is for the
good of the soul.

The Baltimore Catechism :

Q. 970. Will Extreme Unction take away mortal sin if the dying person is no longer able to
confess?
A. Extreme Unction will take away mortal sin if the dying person is no longer able to confess,
provided he has the sorrow for his sins that would be necessary for the worthy reception of the Sacrament of Penance.

You are still talking about someone has not yet died. Once dead, judgement follows immediately and the outcome is final. If it is Hell. That is permanent.

Also I noticed someone suggesting that grave sin is not mortal sin. Grave Sin = Mortal Sin. There is no distinction.

Jimmy Akin with a quote from Pope St. John Paul II

To some there is… to others, there’s no Hope.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.