Question about Elijah

The Messiah is ushered in by Elijah according to Hebrew Scriptures. Jesus appears to say in the New Testament that John the Baptist is Elijah, but John the Baptist himself says he is not.

This is confusing, is it not?

No, it’s not confusing. John the Baptist came in “the spirit and power” of Elijah. He wasn’t Elijah reincarnated. Just as Elijah was a messenger to Israel and filled with the Holy Spirit, so was John the Baptist.

When Elijah was taken to Heaven, he passed on his special mission and power to Elisha, who was also then filled with the Spirit. John the Baptist was specially ordained by God from before birth to come and fulfill his special mission, and he came preaching in the same manner and authority as Elijah did.

They weren’t the same people, but they had very similar missions and were both filled with the power of the Holy Spirit.

John the Baptist and Elijah

Would it be correct to say that this describes John being a prophet?

Yes, he was a prophet, just like Elijah. And there hadn’t been a prophet in Israel for a very long time at that point, so his coming was like a mighty wind shaking everyone up.

John 1: 19Now this was John’s testimony when the Jewish leaders in Jerusalem sent priests and Levites to ask him who he was. 20He did not fail to confess, but confessed freely, “I am not the Messiah.” 21They asked him, “Then who are you? Are you Elijah ?” He said, “I am not.” “Are you the Prophet?” He answered, “No.”

It’s a bit confusing, but thanks for the response.

Jesus said it - that clears it up.

I know what you mean though - symbolism is everywhere in scripture.
Even the most clear cut thing…often has another meaning.
You picked one of the top ones - lol
I think that’s why the Jewish Culture doesn’t accept Jesus…
because Elijah - hasn’t appeared.

I think Elijah WAS one of the people on the Mount of Transfiguration.

Was he a prophet or just an ascetic?

Is there scripture indicating God giving him a specific message, or being annointed?

Very detailed, interesting now too…Thanks

As a Jewish person, no that’s not at all why we do not accept Jesus as the messiah.

We don’t believe the messiah will be a deity at all, but a mortal.

We believe the messiah MUST fulfill ALL the messianic prophecies in one go, i.e., no Second Coming.

We don’t see Jesus as embodying the personal qualities of the messiah.

That does not mean we do not respect him as a rabbi. We do. And I mean no disrespect to Catholicism. Just clearing up a poster’s misconception about Judaism.

Interesting !

Out of curiousity - mortal and deity - can’t infuse ?

Do the Jews know what actual personal qualities the Messiah will have ?

I was just clearing up a poster’s misconception about Elijah and the Jewish people. He has nothing at all to do with the Jewish rejection of Jesus as the messiah.

I don’t want to get into an extended discussion of what Jews believe or don’t believe in the Sacred Scripture section of a Catholic Forum. That would be disrespectful to the Catholic faith.

You can find the answer online.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.