Question about Epicopals.

I was unaware that the Episcopal Church also says the Rosary. How do I know that they do now? Our Bishop has proclaimed an ecumenical event, a living Rosary, with the Bishop of the Episcopal diocese in South Carolina. It is taking place at the Episcopal Church and both Bishops will be in attendance and I plan on going. Does anyone else know about the history of the Rosary and the Episcopal Church?

Jackman, could you furnish details on this event. I might like to go myself.

It is at 4pm Sunday, May 1st.

At
Church of the Good Shepherd1512 Blanding Street (corner of Bull St.)Columbia, SC 29201

Use of the rosary in Episcopal circles is not unknown, although it’s ususally more in the “high church”. When an Episcopalian, I was given a rosary (without a crucifix – just a plain cross) by a sister (yes, there are a couple of Episcopal orders of brothers and sisters) who taught me to pray the “Jesus Prayer” on each bead, and also taught me to pray the traditional Our Father/10 Hail Mary rosary, but without the mysteries. . . teaching and use of the rosary is “spotty” at best in Episcopalian circles. . .

Here is the link
goodshepherdcolumbia.org/events/200505livingrosary.shtml
Living Rosary, Sunday, 1 May 2005

MAY PROCESSION, SOLEMN EVENSONG
AND
BENEDICTION OF THE BLESSED SACRAMENT
SUNDAY, MAY 1ST AT 4:00 P.M.
AT CHURCH OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD, BLANDING STREET

The Right Reverend Dorsey F. Henderson, Jr.
Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Upper South Carolina
Presider at Benediction

The Most Reverend Robert Baker
Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Charleston
Homilist

On Sunday, May 1st at 4:00 p.m. Good Shepherd will host many of our Roman Catholic friends in the annual May Procession of the Living Rosary. This is an important liturgy for the Roman Church that we are pleased to be able to host. Parishioners from St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, Devine Street, will participate in the Living Rosary, as will parishioners from Good Shepherd.

In addition, the Parish Choir of The Church of the Good Shepherd will sing Anglican Choral Evensong. Our Diocesan will then preside at the signal Anglo-Catholic liturgy of Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament.

We are particularly joyful that the guest homilist of this ecumenical worship experience is The Most Reverend Robert Baker, Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of South Carolina.

A reception follows the liturgy. Yvonne Danford is coordinating the volunteers who will be helping with the reception.

Please make every effort to be a part of this significant ecumenical event.

[quote=kaygee]Use of the rosary in Episcopal circles is not unknown, although it’s ususally more in the “high church”. When an Episcopalian, I was given a rosary (without a crucifix – just a plain cross) by a sister (yes, there are a couple of Episcopal orders of brothers and sisters) who taught me to pray the “Jesus Prayer” on each bead, and also taught me to pray the traditional Our Father/10 Hail Mary rosary, but without the mysteries. . . teaching and use of the rosary is “spotty” at best in Episcopalian circles. . .
[/quote]

WITHOUT the mysteries? :whacky: When I was an Episcopalian, I prayed the rosary just as it is prayed in the Catholic Church. But sometimes, I would change the mysteries. I would change the two of the glorious mysteries, leaving out the Marian ones an d start with the Baptism of the Lord and Transfiguration, then the Resurrection, Ascension, and Descent of the Holy Spirit. I wasn’t “allergic” to Mary, it was just a thing I did. But then, Pope John Paul did something rather similar, didn’t he?

Interesting story.

There also existis a RC Church of the Good Shepherd in Columbia. Originally, about 20+ years ago, it was formed as an Anglican Use parish under the Pastoral Provision. The priest and much of the congregation, came from the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd, about a mile away. This is the Episcopal church sponsoring the Rosary. The Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd is and was the most Anglo-Catholic parish in the local area. The split occurred back when many orthodox Episcopalians were leaving ECUSA over issues such as putting collars on females. At that time, another group, also primarily from the Episcopal Church of of the Good Shepherd, separated from ECUSA and from the official Anglican Communion. That’s the Anglican Church of the Epiphany, my parish. Where we sing the Angelus, or the Regina Coeli, regularly. Though I have never seen a formal Rosary there.

Back to the RC Church of the Good Shepherd. It remained an Anglican Use Parish until the death of the rector. Then, as often happens, it became a NO parish. And recently, it was granted a monthly Indult Tridentine Latin Mass, which I have attended, one of which our parish music director played for.

An interesting pair of parishes.

GKC

traditional Anglican

Why do you say the RC church? Assuming RC means Roman Catholic. It does fall under the jurisdiction of the Episcopal Diocese of Upper South Carolina.

[quote=JackmanUSC]Why do you say the RC church? Assuming RC means Roman Catholic. It does fall under the jurisdiction of the Episcopal Diocese of Upper South Carolina.
[/quote]

Jackman,

Please see my edited post. In my haste, I mistook which Church of the Good Shepherd was sponsoring the Rosary.There are, as I said, two, sort of step-sisters, one RC, one ECUSA. With my Anglican parish sort of another one.

Sorry for the confusion.

GKC

traditional Anglican

So what is a NO Parish.

[quote=JackmanUSC]So what is a NO Parish.
[/quote]

Novus Ordo. It has often happened, in the few RC parishes which were granted the right to the Anglican Use liturgy, that when their original, formerly Episcopal, priest left or died, the parish was no longer an Anglican Use parish, but used the Novus Ordo liturgy. There is no provison for the long term continuance of Anglican Use parishes. They are basically transitional. This happened to the RC Church of the Good Shepherd, several years ago. But the parish remained a traditional-minded one, as their forerunners had been traditionalist Episcopalians, and they managed to obtain the Indult, AFAIK, the only one in the state.

GKC

What is the Indult? I know the Prince of Peace Church in Taylors does the Latin Mass twice a month.

[quote=JackmanUSC]What is the Indult? I know the Prince of Peace Church in Taylors does the Latin Mass twice a month.
[/quote]

The Indult is the permission to do the Latin Tridentine Mass , in lieu of the NO Mass (RCs, help me out here).

Is the Mass in Taylors the NO in Latin or the Latin Tridentine Mass? I’m certainly no expert on where might be done in SC, but I thought the local one at the RC Church of the Good Shepherd was the only LTM around.

GKC

traditional Anglican

[quote=JackmanUSC]I was unaware that the Episcopal Church also says the Rosary. How do I know that they do now? Our Bishop has proclaimed an ecumenical event, a living Rosary, with the Bishop of the Episcopal diocese in South Carolina. It is taking place at the Episcopal Church and both Bishops will be in attendance and I plan on going. Does anyone else know about the history of the Rosary and the Episcopal Church?
[/quote]

I don’t know the history, but I once sponsered a former Episcopalian into the Catholic Church who said he was converting because he fell in love with devotion to Mary from praying the Rosary in his Episcopal parish.

[quote=mercygate]WITHOUT the mysteries? :whacky:
[/quote]

Yup. it was presented as a sort of mantra to quiet one down, to empty one’s mind. . sorta new-age . . . :bigyikes:

thank the Lord and His blessed Mother that my new mantra is, “there’s no place like Rome”

Yes, it is confirmed that Prince of Peace in Taylors, SC does the Latin Mass 2 Wednesdays every month.

[quote=JackmanUSC]Yes, it is confirmed that Prince of Peace in Taylors, SC does the Latin Mass 2 Wednesdays every month.
[/quote]

Again, this could be the *Novus Ordo * liturgy, conducted in Latin, or it could be the older Tridentine Latin Mass. I couldn’t say which. But the use of the Tridentine Latin Mass requires an indult. AFAIK, to say the *Norvus Ordo * in Latin doesn’t require an indult.

GKC

traditional Anglican

It is the Tridentine, the Bishop granted the indult.

[quote=JackmanUSC]It is the Tridentine, the Bishop granted the indult.
[/quote]

Thanks. I learn somethng (almost) every day. +Baker sounds like a good man.

GKC

Bishop Baker is a good man. I have sat beside him while having dinner at a KoC convention. HE is very cordial and friendly. I also served at the convention mass that was said that evening.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.