Question About First Confession

I am 16 years old, and I had my First Communion and Confirmation almost three years ago, but I never had my First Confession. I know that I should have said something at the time, but I never did, even though I knew that I had committed Mortal Sins. So, I took Holy Communion, and I kept doing this every week since - and I kept telling myself that it was ok, even though I knew it was wrong. I have also committed some more Mortal Sins in those three years (other than taking Holy Communion), but I just ignored it again - even though I felt terrible about it - I convincing myself that God had forgiven me, and it was ok to go to Holy Communion.

Then, on Tuesday, I finally stopped ignoring this, and decided to go to Confession this weekend. But I have read that I need to go to some sort of instruction or lessons before I’m allowed to go to Confession. So, I’m wondering if, since I have already had Holy Communion and Confirmation, whether this is still the case? Or is it ok to just go to Confession tomorrow, without any instruction or anything?

I’m sorry if I wrote too much, or have posted this in the wrong place - I’m not used to using forums! :frowning:

No, you don’t need any special instruction to go to Confession, not even for the first time.

Just go, tell the priest your situation (First Communion, no Confession, etc.) and ask him to help you through your First Confession.

It may also be helpful to review an Examination of Conscience before you go. Here’s one for teens that I use for my CCE students.

catholicyouthministry.com/examination-of-conscience#

Go, find peace!

Thank you! :slight_smile:

I will be praying for you for your first confession and for the Lord to give you the desire to go to confession on a regular basis.

Here is a great examination of conscience for adults. Since you are 16 this may be appropriate for you.
fatima.org/essentials/requests/examconc.asp

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.